'85 SPG Rebuild

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

'85 SPG Rebuild

Postby Jordan » Wed May 29, 2013 7:30 am

Starting with the transmission. I wanted to use a solid pinion sleeve for a "performance" rebuild. The gears were all previously shot-peened and cryo-treated.

So to start I made the spacer shim which sits sandwiched between the two pinion bearings and the housing. You have to make a relative guess on the thickness based on the crushable sleeve, then press the two bearings on, tighten the big nut and take a pull reading from the spring scale. If it is not tight enough you to press the bearing back off, take a few thousandths of an inch off of the lathe and reassemble. If you take off too much, then you have to start over! It took me 5 or 6 times before it was perfect. My final measurement on this 89+ trans was .6008"

IMG_1821.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

Once you have the pinion set up correctly, It gets put in the main case.You then have to set up the pinion depth by using the SAAB special tool that holds a dial indicator. The pinion has an etched number that indicates the deviation from standard 60mm where the set runs the quietest. This pinion had +33 which is .33mm or .013" +- .002". The height is set by using shims to get the correct depth.
IMG_1843.JPG

The final critical measurement is setting the measuring the stack height which is also done with a special tool or depth gauge and shims. This sets the correct position of the gear assembly inside the case.
IMG_1845.JPG

Also , since I was changing the ring and pinion over, I had to swap ring gears as they are a matched set.
IMG_1847.JPG

The rest of the gearset and selectors and synchros can be assembled and inserted into the case over the pinion shaft.
IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: '85 SPG Rebuild

Postby Jordan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:17 am

Next, I had to change the two taper bearings on the input gear. The top can be tapped off with the housing and the bottom needs to be pressed off.
IMG_2020.JPG

The shims are used to set proper preload
IMG_2021.JPG

The new lower bearing gets pressed on, and then the top with the shims and new races.
IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2025.JPG

Now the cluster gear and all selector shafts are in place, you're ready to slide on the front housing (you have to take 5th back off)
IMG_1853.JPG

Once the housing is on and the pins and bolts tightened you can add the 5th gear assembly and selector . Don't forget to add the 5th gear selector inside the case before sliding it over the main case. Also , you can't really fit the intermediate gear until you have the input gear in place..
IMG_2038.JPG

The chains, tensioner and upper sprocket are all set into place, and the intermediate gear is then locked. If you leave reverse unhooked and simultaneously select a gear and reverse, this will lock the case and allow you to torque the nuts to the correct torque specs. Then peen them over.
IMG_2041.JPG

Then you can hook back up reverse gear selector mechanism.
IMG_2042.JPG

Now the front should be basically all set, your attention goes back to the rear of the trans and putting in the differential. After installing so many LSDs... the stock one is a dream to install
IMG_2043.JPG

Finally, the inner drivers with correct shims are put in and backlash checked!
IMG_2044.JPG

Whew!

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”