Saab 900 Notchback Rally Car

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Saab 900 Notchback Rally Car

Postby DrewP » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm

I forgot about that. I don't think I remembered that they used the Weber flange pattern, that's awesome!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:21 pm

DrewP wrote:I forgot about that. I don't think I remembered that they used the Weber flange pattern, that's awesome!

The Nissan throttle bodies don't use the same pattern as the weber...but I can make an adapter to use them.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 am

Any reason why you wouldn't just weld a Nissan-to_XXX adapter direct to your manifold? Seems like extra work to build a custom Nissan-to-Weber adapter which only has the function of to attaching to another Weber adapter (which isn't really necessary). Unless it's a backup plan in case you ever want to run something with a Weber bolt pattern?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Geoff wrote:Any reason why you wouldn't just weld a Nissan-to_XXX adapter direct to your manifold? Seems like extra work to build a custom Nissan-to-Weber adapter which only has the function of to attaching to another Weber adapter (which isn't really necessary). Unless it's a backup plan in case you ever want to run something with a Weber bolt pattern?

Because the weber pattern is very common and if I ever want to run something else it will be easier to switch over...also should I ever decide to sell the intake manifold it will be easier to sell as a weber setup.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:11 pm

working on my upper A arm design today. my goal is to design something that would allow anyone to be able to run coil over springs in a 99/900 without needing to build crazy towers in the engine bay. the idea being that coil over springs are about $50 each and come in a big assortment of rates allowing you to more easily tune the suspension on the car and eliminating the need for a spring compressor and upper A arm tools. I think that this is looking possible in that you would replace your upper a arm with the modded one and would have one bracket to weld in...possibly bolt in on top of the spring tower and utilizing the hole that comes stock. this mod requires a jaguar ball joint, modded a arm, coil spring, coil slider, and top bracket. cost of parts per side is about $200 plus whatever the bracket and a arm cost would be.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm going to have to do this to the new hillclimb car.
Now what gets bumped in the budget?

I'll be interested to see what you do for the rear!

John

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:59 pm

99Super wrote:I'm going to have to do this to the new hillclimb car.
Now what gets bumped in the budget?

I'll be interested to see what you do for the rear!

John

I roughed out 1 piece for the brackets today. I need to get a jaguar ball joint so I can place holes. I will also model the pieces this week and may just have a set water jet here in town.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:22 pm

Drew the A arm bracket up with NX today and dropped an STL model into sketchup for some quickly assembly modeling.

I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Most of the load will be between the coil-over mount and the ball joint bolt holes. You may want to increase the gusset towards the spindle. Even so, it looks like if you're using the Jaguar balljoint the nut for the joint will be pretty close to the coil-over. It seems like it might be difficult to get a pickle fork in to separate the joint from the spindle. If you used the SAAB balljoint there would be more room to disassemble the joint from the spindle. You'd just want to figure something out for some smooth/progressive bump stops so you don't damage the balljoint over big jumps.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Geoff wrote:Most of the load will be between the coil-over mount and the ball joint bolt holes. You may want to increase the gusset towards the spindle. Even so, it looks like if you're using the Jaguar balljoint the nut for the joint will be pretty close to the coil-over. It seems like it might be difficult to get a pickle fork in to separate the joint from the spindle. If you used the SAAB balljoint there would be more room to disassemble the joint from the spindle. You'd just want to figure something out for some smooth/progressive bump stops so you don't damage the balljoint over big jumps.

the shock body in that photo is something I found on the parts website that was close...the body I am using is a little smaller in diameter. Here is a side image of the assembly with approximate locations of all holes. Plenty of clearance and keep in mind these plates get welded into the A arm. Also keep in mind that this is only a spring assembly not a full coilover.

I have been watching the location of the balljoint, the spindle, and the nut. I dont think there is going to be a clearance issue but will adjust the design as needed.

I have never actually used a pickle fork to get a ball joint out of the hub...always had good luck with the 1 or two hammer trick. Unfortunately there is no room to use the Saab ball joint because it would mount exactly where the spring slider passes through the A arm. The bump stops can be mounted right on the slider itself.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am

let me know when you get a few of these made, I want to buy!
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:42 am

The success/failure of this idea will be well documented in this forum :-O :yay:
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Bolted the rear axle on yesterday after cleaning it up and painting. Also spent some time cleaning the rear hubs and removing all the old grease from the hub and bearings. I have to order some new seals before reassembling.

Thursday is payday so I can get some needed parts on order and send some money out to Paul for the 9 sport track rod that arrived a couple of days ago and is now bolted to the car.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Ordered a few pieces today

Corbeau side mount seat brackets
pair of rear 3" ID 14" long 450# rate springs
4 1.5" tubing clamps
track rod bushings
Jaguar ball joints
steering wheel adapter
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:33 pm

hrmmmm a nice 3 part series showing just how easy and cheap it is to make carbon fiber parts for your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E
I am the 73%

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”