T5-ing my 99

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: T5-ing my 99

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks! I went and checked on the TPS adjustment and ended up swapping for another TPS that was closer optimal range. No difference.
What I'm seeing in T5Suite is that idle is not engaging. It throws 5 flashes on the CEL (and 8) for the TPS.

I also am getting "cyl_fel 145" and "Trott_fel 40" error messages.

Other than the idle, it's working great! Drove it all over town yesterday to run out some old gas. It even seems to adapt w/out the TPS.
For the first few minutes there is a slight delay on throttle opening, then none.

Running at 6lbs base boost until I do the T7 BPC mod.

This ECU is an unhacked B234L unit, no TCS/ETS. I'm going to try 99Sven's idea once I get the TPS to display in T5Suite.
It's been a pain to read the manual on my monitor so I'm going to print it out this week.

John

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Did you check the wiring to and from the ecm? Also check the voltage signal. You should be getting ~5v across the pins at the TPS connector and a ~0-5v range from the signal wire.

Cyl_fel is a misfire error generally caused by some CPS issue

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Well, I still haven't re flashed either ECU, but the B234L box is running the car just fine w/out the TPS (MAP only), albeit w/ a high idle.
I'm running a small pressure regulator as my wastegate control until I get the T7 BCP mod finished on the modified box.

I've got about 100 miles on is so far and it's running really well. Most of the time I was just running base boost, but otherwise super smooth.

Yesterday I bumped the wastegate to 15psi and took it for a drive up Bogus.
WOW! :-O :-O :-O
Unbelievable power. Steady, no det, the car just pulls you out of a corner and throws you into the next.
W/CIS and APC, I could hit 15lbs, but then it would back down to a steady 8 or 9. But now that it holds at 15, it pulls like a train all the way to redline.
I'm really exited for the Hillclimb season next year! I need to get the race ECU modded for the T7 BCP, re-flashed, then get my cage built!

I need a new boost gauge.

john

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Excellent. Glad to hear it is up and running very well. I never did like the boost taper the apc would do either.
So did you tune the wastegate via the map or just hose routing?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:07 pm

I got some time to work on the car this week and worked on some of the wiring.
It is still a bit of a mess, and I have not removed all the leftover wires I'm not planning to use. I'll likely route the ECU into the car but for now it's on the back ledge. I was able to use all the stock locations with the updated 9000 relays.

Pin 31, the Yellow/White Main Relay trigger runs to the ground at the Lambda relay and is used to power the Injectors and DI cassette.
Pin 56, the purple fuel pump trigger replaces the ground at the Fuel Pump relay and powers the Fuel Pump and O2 sensor.

Wiring.jpg

and built a new air filter setup for the car.
I found it in the trunk of a XJ6 in the junk yard with a washable filter. The canister intake is at the bottom and quiets the turbo very effectively.
Not perfect, but nearly free.
T5Intake.jpg

99Super

Postby 99Super » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:20 pm

I installed the shifter I got from Geoff today. I still need to rewire some gauges and replace the dash lower.
I love the way it shifts!
Shifterdriver.jpg

ShifterPass.jpg

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:22 pm

99Super wrote:I got some time to work on the car this week and worked on some of the wiring.
It is still a bit of a mess, and I have not removed all the leftover wires I'm not planning to use. I'll likely route the ECU into the car but for now it's on the back ledge. I was able to use all the stock locations with the updated 9000 relays.
T5Intake.jpg

Not to sound like mother hen, but WTF on the fuel rail? Anything holding in those injectors? Hate for you to have a engine fire and end up like Nikki.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:12 am

Yes... That fuel rail, you need to fix that ASAP. those injectors pop out of the manifold under full boost, 100% duty cycle (which is when it would happen cause of the pressure) and the fireball would be pretty impressive I'm betting.

The boxed 9000 fuel rail is pretty easy to mount right. All the stock lines fit from a 900, Buy an exhaust stud kit from eeuroparts, and take a grinder to the back of the mounting tangs so you knock down the re-enforcement to allow you can bend them from the approx 15 degree angle to a 45 degree angle. It is then a 100% like stock fit.

Once this is done, you could just about lift the engine by the fuel rail, which is how securely it should be mounted.

Less brake more gas!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm

:lol: :lol:
I had it apart to adjust the tabs and bushings a bit and maybe find a more elegant solution when I took those pctures.
This is how it is, just some bronze bushings and bolts I had laying around...
PA162779.jpg

Who/What was Nikki?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Your sleeves and bolts will be just fine.
Niki Lauda F1 driver involved in a fuel fire in the 70s. I had the pleasure of meeting the man. He once had an airline.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, i finally had success flashing my ECU this morning!

The ECU was a 93 ETC/TCS unit that would go into Limp Home any time I revved it over about 2K.

It now starts, idles and runs really well!

The file came from my 93 B234L ETC/non-TCS ECU. I turned on the TPS, upped the idle to 900, changed the values for the T7 BCP and thought I increased the fuel pump cutoff.

The primary problem is that it cuts out at about 16 psi. I maxed the fuel pump cut out, but that's what it feels like is happening. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Got figured out, some of my mods made it through and some didn't.
The TPS works, it doesn't go into limp-home, and the T7 BCP changes went through, but the fuel pump cutoff didn't.
Somehow the fuel pump change didn't save in the program.

I left the ECU plugged into the car and applied 15v from a laptop charger to Pin 65 and used the Lawicel CAN-USB adapter to flash the ECU.

I'm going to make some more changes tonite and re-flash in the morning.

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:46 pm

I got some dyno time during a charity event a couple of weekends ago. 2 pulls for $40.

At 12 lbs of boost I was seeing 145 hp at the wheels. They couldn't get a tach signal. :-(

Last Thursday I flashed in a new bin file after raising the fuel pump cut out and making a few other minor changes. On the test drive it happily held a steady 18-19 lbs boost.

Some details to clean up but I'm pretty happy w/ that and the car gets parked until spring!

John

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”