T5-ing my 99

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Re: T5-ing my 99

Postby 99Super » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Thanks Jordan.
I already installed the new IAT and O2 and no change. If I let it run it will trip the CEL after 30 seconds or so.
I ordered the adapter, should have it friday or saturday and hopefully running T5Suite soon after.

I'm going to give it a rest until then.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm

99Super wrote:Thanks Jordan.
I already installed the new IAT and O2 and no change. If I let it run it will trip the CEL after 30 seconds or so.
I ordered the adapter, should have it friday or saturday and hopefully running T5Suite soon after.

I'm going to give it a rest until then.

Another shot in the dark. AIC connector plugged into an injector? Coolant temp sensor reading correctly or the reading is not making it to the ecu?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 am

Trionic will flash the CEL code at you with the ignition on, but engine off, If you are being thrown a CEL. Pretty general, but it might point you in the right direction.

See instructions here:
http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/powe ... tcodes.php

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I just had a thought while I was boxing your parts up.

Are you sure you have the correct coolant temp sensor in there?

T5.2 cars with TCS have a different coolant temp sensor that is black. There are actually two signal circuits in there, there should NOT be continuity between the two pins. Each pin has a resistive circuit to ground through the sensor body, rather than a circuit between the two pins like the blue sensors that are on C900's.

You should have a resistance value between each pin and the brass sensor body. I believe one is used by the ECM and the other is used by the ETS computer. If you don't have that correct sensor in there it'll definitely cause problems depending on what your tune is expecting to see.

The black two-pole sensor is P/N 0 280 130 032.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

jskrebs
Nickname: Jeff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby jskrebs » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:47 pm

I am running a blue coolant sensor on my 900 with T5.2 and when I converted my 93 9000 from TCS I swapped to a blue sensor. The black sensor feeds the ETC controller.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:41 pm

I am running the blue sensor. Do you have a black one? I'm running Jeff's .bin, but I'll try anything.
After it runs for a minute or so, the CEL come on and the code flashes 8 for "EVAP valve (ELCD)"
for the codes P0443, P1443, P1444 and P1445.

John

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Sounds like the tune you have isn't turning EVAP off and it is expecting the extra air from it?

99sven

Postby 99sven » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:48 am

Jordan is correct. The three codes are all purge valve codes. You need to connect to the ecu and uncheck the purge valve settings in T5 suite. There are two and they are always checked in the stock configuration. Once T5 suite is open go to Actions>Trionic Firmware Settings>Misc. Uncheck purge control and Purge Valve My94.(I don't know if the latter makes a difference but uncheck it anyway.

I am surprised that the person who did your box didn't uncheck this. Perhaps they overlooked it. Hopefully this helps and you can get a sound running car. The good news is that you are only throwing purge valve codes. You may only be getting the codes because you have the boxes checked and the ecu pins are not connected to the purge valve.

This is still kind of odd. I threw a stock 94 aero 9000 box into my first conversion and the car ran pretty damn good. A bit rich at idle and cruise but it definitely was road worthy. This was with the purge boxes checked. John Williams tuned the ecu a few weeks later on the road and unchecked them.

From the Saab Trionic Manual: "P0444 Evaporative emission purge valve. Control module output, open circuit."

Welcome to the T5 club :crazy:
Gregg Cronn

jskrebs

Postby jskrebs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:19 am

It's the bin from my project. I don't have a CEL light connected. I do see the codes when connected and I just clear them. I also see the purge light in the software cycle while running. That said my car runs great with no purge valve connected. I can make a new bin without the purge valve checked and forward it.

My setup is all stock stuff with red injectors, map sensor, IAT, Coolant Sensor from a 94 9K, 3 bar FPR,

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm

jskrebs wrote:My setup is all stock stuff with red injectors, map sensor, IAT, Coolant Sensor from a 94 9K, 3 bar FPR,

So your car has the black sensor?

John, did you check to see if the car idles longer and seems ok with the coolant temp sensor just unplugged? It'll put it into a base mode where it just assumes the coolant is a fixed temp, maybe 80*C if I remember right, something like that. Unplug it and see if it's any better, or if it does the same thing.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:03 pm

When I unplugged the sensor it didn't really run any different, it did throw the correct code.

I have my CAN USB adapter and have been playing w/ Jeff's .bin files in T5Suite. I'm ready to connct to my ECU.

Can I cut off the CAN plug and replace it a RS232 plug and run it straight into the adapter?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 pm

You only need the CANL and CANH wires to communicate, but the programming voltage (16V) and ground to make changes..big changes at least. You can use whatever connector you like.

You know the other thing I was thinking of was wondering what ECU hardware you might have, and how it adapts. IIRC, the newer 20Mhz hardware can run both binary files, but running a newer binary on 16Mhz binary can cause problems. Also, they adapt differently. The older boxes only adapt after shutdown and after certain criteria are met, where as the new boxes can adapt on the fly and do so every 10-15 minutes...something like that.

You're getting close though. It could just be that Jeff likes his car to run richer than you do ;)

jskrebs

Postby jskrebs » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:50 am

Blue sensor

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:33 am

It feels more like the timing is way off. It doesn't fire evenly and blows smoke rings out the exhaust.

ECU is a 93 T5.2 box.
If I need 16V to make programming changes, what is the +15 (Switched 12v) wire for? Do I talk to the ECU w/ the ignition on or off? If I just plug into the the CAN H & L sockets (RS232 socket on one end and test probes stuck into the socket), can I pull the .bin file? Also, do I need the 120 ohm resistor in the cable between the socket and the adapter? If there is already one in the ECU, shouldn't there be one in the adapter already? CAN USB info seems a little thin in T5 Suite.

I think I've read most of the manuals and ifo I can find, but can anyone point me in the direction of the most concise, step-by-step way to do this? I got very little sleep this week and I just want to pull the .bin so I can look at it without frying the ecu.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Well, I can't really think of how the ignition/fuel timing could be off, but I can help you with the CAN USB info.

The ignition power should be enough to make changes to SRAM (the live tuning stuff), but a complete re-flashing the ECU you will run the risk of bricking it without enough voltage. The ECU requires 16v to wipe the flash memory. Bricked ECUs can usually be rejuvenated by the BDM setup, but you don't want to go that route if you don't have to.

You don't need a resistor. The documentation has a convoluted way of saying the ECU itself is the resistor.

In T5Suite with CANBUS plugged in to the computer and ECM ( I don't think the ignition has to be on depending on your wiring setup) It should have constant power/ground where it needs to. Open the 5.2 base file (or similar from the binaries directory) . Try clicking the "Go Online" text at the bottom right of the screen. If it connects, you are golden and everything is working properly. If not then perhaps the ECU has not been "unlocked" or maybe the is a problem with of your computer drivers...

From there you want to download the Binary to your computer . There is a button in one of the upper menu tabs. You will be prompted to select an ECU type (5.2) and a save location. Also be aware you don't want to save the file to the "Binaries" directory as it is a read only directory and you will get very frustrated because none of your settings will change (ask me how I know). Just save anywhere else. This should take a few minutes, then you can open that binary and screw around with it. When you're ready to try it out. Simply upload the binary to the ECU (right next to the download button) and let it do its thing.

This is all from memory, so forgive me if I forgot anything...but let us know how it goes.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”