T5-ing my 99

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: T5-ing my 99

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 pm

99Super wrote:It feels more like the timing is way off. It doesn't fire evenly and blows smoke rings out the exhaust.

One way to find out.
I've never seen a picture or description how to get a spark signal off cylinder 1
It worked great. Loop of insulated wire exiting out the top of the DIC cover.

When you do check the timing, do it at a higher rpm. Around 2500 rpm, gets you out of the idle map and into the main map where the timing is flat and will not jump around like the idle map. T5 used the ignition in conjunction with the AIC to keep the idle rock solid.
Having the lights off too helps to see the timing marks.

She is alive again, with the timing spot on.

I do have a question. Why are you going 5.2? This is your race car and you can cut a door in the firewall for a harmonic balance version, or go the flywheel route.
Did you check all your pinouts and connectors with an ohm meter? Any of them cross talking where you shouldn't be?

99sven

Postby 99sven » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:31 am

Jordan wrote:You don't need a resistor. The documentation has a convoluted way of saying the ECU itself is the resistor.

From the little I have done hanging out on T5 suite, it was mentioned that you "may" need to have the resister added for it to work properly. Mine would not work without the added resister. Once the resister was added it would connect up.

Jordan is right about the directory. I saved in the same way and was frustrated for awhile because nothing was changing. T5 suite is an ass backwards way to get into the 1990's era hardware and change settings. It is not elegant and far from simple unless you are pretty tech savvy. It can be frustrating to learn the ins and outs. John, I would be patient here and not expect to have it sorted out immediately. Work in small chunks and confirm your steps. First, see if you can get online with the Lawicel. (I can send you mine if you want on Monday morning if yours is not working.) Then confirm timing as Dennis described. You will also be able to open dashboard and look at A/F, temps, ign. etc.

So, see if you can get live with your ECU and then work from there. You can look at the bin from there without having to download the file. Just make sure you have a copy of the bin open or you will not be able to look at your maps and settings on the bin in the ECU.

Your welcome to call me this evening if you want to go into this more.
Gregg Cronn

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Thanks Gregg. I will probably call this evening. I cannot get my laptop to regognize the adapter, If you have any ideas, I'm all ears. I've been playing w/Jeff's files on T5 and noticed that Enrichment on Run was checked. Is that normal?

99sven

Postby 99sven » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Getting the laptop to recognize the adapter can be a b*tch. You need the correct driver's in the laptop and make sure you have the latest service packs, net framework etc. to make sure everything is up to date. Sometimes people have downloaded 1-4 or just the latest net framework to get T5 and the Lawicel to communicate. Then download T5 suite again. This part is not fun but once you have a laptop working it usually performs without a hiccup afterwards. I found it was best to have a cheap laptop stripped of everything except T5 suite, internet, and a few other programs. The big thing is that you have the latest lawicel driver's for your version and the microsoft service packs.

Sometimes I miss my standalone when all I had to do was hit save to change settings on the ecu. But damn, once you have a tuned vehicle with T5 you will be amazed at how well it runs the turbo Saab engine.
Gregg Cronn

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:31 pm

AAhhrg! I give up for tonite. I'm on the road this week so I'm not sure if I can get anything done before friday.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm

What steps did you take to get the adapter to work? Does it flash when you plug it in?

From the docs -
A CAN bus interface needs to be terminated by 120 Ω on both sides. This means a resistor should be soldered over CANH and CANL lines as close as possible on either side of the line. But... Trionic is already terminated internally by 120 Ω. This is probably done because the CAN interface on Trionic would never be used as a real bus architecture, it would always be a one-to-one connection. This voids the need for adding a resistor on the Trionic side.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am

Jordan,
It flashes three times when plugged in, but that's all I get. I made sure I have the latest .net framework installed. I'm not sure the CAN USB program is loading correctly. I'm home today but won't likely get to the car until this evening.
Any tips to get the LAWICEL to run?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Did you install the two drivers?

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 am

*Two* drivers?
I downloaded the driver(s?) on the LAWICEL page and ran the install, there is also the program that is used to transfer files.
That one seems to work, but will not recognize the lawicel.
If you have more detailed instructions, I'd be happy to hear!

John

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 am

I believe there were two...

This page is new and looks like it has fairly clear instruction. http://www.can232.com/?page_id=75

I know you need the FTDI installed (it is like a virtual COM port) and it looks like there is a CANUSB DLL driver that needs to be installed too.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out. I did get my old Win98 machine running too, so I need to get drivers installed for it too...

OK, bigger issue may have popped up. I've been reading some of the discussions about chamber dimensions of the 2.1/2.3 head.
My engine has 91mm 8.5 cr pistons left over from my 8 valve days and it worked OK w/ CIS but maybe the 5.2 doesn't like the low compression?
Would I be better off going back to a 2.0 head ported to take the 2.1 intake? Are there better cams I could be running? I have, or have access to almost anything stock ('cept an 85 head) and that's always been the point of the car "It's all stock off some SAAB somewhere".

Any thoughts?

John

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:55 pm

that is probably pretty low compression, but it shouldn't have any problem running it. That tune may not be optimal though.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:52 pm

Ok, It always ran well w/ the low comp, so I think there is something else. Like Gregg says, it's likely something in the harness.
I'm going back through the harness today now that I have a black temp sensor and the IAT sensor mounted where I want.

Would not having a BCV cause a problem? I don't have a T5 BCV and I haven't made the mods for the T7 unit Drew sent me, so the wires just end for now.

Again, it starts great and runs at a high RPM for about 2 seconds and then goes into this super-rich mode with a consistent miss. I still get 8 flashes on the CEL.

I know I read a thread a while back where a guy was chasing the same problem but now I can't find the thread : P

John

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 am

BCP valve unplugged wont do anything like that, just no boost.

EVAP canister valve unplugged wont cause that, but a big air leak might.

Did you try swapping in a different DI cassette for giggles? Make certain you got all the engine compartment ground lugs hooked to ground?

Seems like a sensor wired wrong or a wire mixed up is the most logical. Coolant temp signal way out of whack might do it.

Before you tear everything apart you can check for the correct sensor resistances at the ECU connector with a voltmeter, check to see you have the right resistance sweep for the TPS, etc.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:38 pm

I think I found the primary culprit. Bad brake booster! I had such a bad vacuum leak it wouldn't run right.
Plugged the port and It idles perfectly now! Hope to have it on the road by Wed!
Thanks for all the help so far!

John

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”