T5-ing my 99

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99sven

Re: T5-ing my 99

Postby 99sven » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:29 pm

Great news John! Glad you figured it out.
Gregg Cronn

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:39 pm

99sven wrote:Great news John! Glad you figured it out.

It is funny how this is a recurring theme in that people look to the software first thinking that is the problem and it really is a hardware problem.
When I took an EFI class the thing that stuck with me the most: There is no key on the laptop the says fix compression or switch injector connectors from 2 to 3...
Glad you found it. Dial it in now remembering to only turn one knob at a time.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 pm

start with simple stuff...fuses...grounds...vacuum leaks.
I am the 73%

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Crazyswede wrote:start with simple stuff...fuses...grounds...vacuum leaks.

Pretty much exactly the route I took. While triple checking grounds (only MAP sensor wires and got cut) I found my old APC transducer line open under the dash and one thing led to another...

It still for sure needs software work...

Now to tidy up wires and put my dash back together and write it up!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok, now I have another question.
I got my LAWICEL CAN USB adapter running last night and pulled my .bin file. Now, I have a question about the 15+v that I need for programming.
Here's what I've found so far but I'm probably wrong...
1 - Hook up CAN USB to laptop and ECU
2 - ign on
3 - Connect to CAN
4- Apply programming voltage to Pin 65.
5 - Flash
6- re-extract to check that flash worked.

Please tell me where I've gone wrong here!

John

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:02 pm

What's the question? Whether that is the right process? Sounds good to me! The beauty of CAN is that you can tweak the file in online tuning mode in real time, which will save the settings on computers binary, just remember to reflash the final changes back to the ECU. It is also a good idea to recognize the difference between SRAM and the binary burned into the flash chip. Think of it as two separate programs. SRAM program is originally copied from the Binary data, but also contains additional data like DTC codes and can differ from the original from adaptation or tuning in online mode. Once you make changes in live tuning you need to reflash that binary to the flash chips or your changes will be lost the next time the ECU is powered down.

Don't try to ever interrupt a flash writing session through CAN, you will probably brick the box and it will have to be restored by someone using the BDM interface.

99sven

Postby 99sven » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:50 pm

John,
I use a Radio Shack power source that Mike D found to work perfectly for providing 15 volts.

Enercell
1000mA
15v

Just rewire the ends for ground and power to the ecu. I ran an extra wire out to the SFI plug for the power to pin 65.

Hope to see you in Seattle in a few weeks.

Gregg
Gregg Cronn

99Super

Postby 99Super » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:13 pm

I swapped in my other ECU last night, just to pull the .bin file and it appears to be an unmodified B234L ECU. The TCS/ETS box is unchecked so I started it up and the RAM is still locked. Runs pretty well, a little rich and it idles high, but I drove it around the neighborhood. I'll modify this /bin and reload it into my other ECU with the borrowed files.
Progress!

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 am

Hey All!
After fighting to get my "fixed" ECU running right, I dropped in my virgin 5.2 ECU and the car runs pretty well! I've been driving it around and I'm pretty happy w/ it.
The only real issue I have at the present is that after start the idle drops down to 900-1000 rpm (like it should), then rolls up to 1500 and stays there - very stable. I can't find anthing obvious but I'd like to fix that issue, then re-flash my "fixed" ECU. I'll probably make the T7 BCP mod at the same time.
This is a T5.2 w/ B234L non-TCS ECU.

TIA!

John

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:23 pm

One more question, could the A/C circuit be effecting the idle? I feels like it is being switched on just as the idle settles in. Could the A/C circuit be doing this? On my diagram, pin 59 is the A/C signal in. I removed that wire but maybe it needs a signal? :dunno:
Also, this is T5.2, there may be a bit of a difference there. I can probably fix it in T5Suite, but I may just leave this box stock of I can fix this one idle issue.

John

99sven

Postby 99sven » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:40 pm

This doesn't sound like a software issue. Pin 59 will bump the idle all the time as it is telling the ecu that the air cond. is on (About 200 rpm). Check your Idle control valve or try cleaning it. T5 is very good at handling the idle. It should never be up around 1,500. Open up dashboard on T5 suite and make sure that the temp reading are all normal. Any DTC codes listed?
Gregg Cronn

99Super

Postby 99Super » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 pm

I've been driving around town today and other than the idle, it's running great! I'm getting 5 and 8 CEL flashes.
TPS? What's the adjustment procedure for for the T5 TPS?

99sven

Postby 99sven » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 am

Your TPS display should be at zero at idle. If not you need to zero out. I did this years ago so I can't quite remember the sequence. If you have not done it, have the T5 manual, both the 160+pages and the shorter manual, printed off at your local print shop. You can find a lot of this information within the pages of both.
Gregg Cronn

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 am

I didn't know the T5 TPS could be calibrated, I'll have to reread the T5Suite manual when I'm not on my phone. However this website gives you the specs of what it should read when it's correct:
http://www.saabwiki.info/index.php?titl ... ottle_Body

I can say when I first got T5 set up Jordan noticed my TPS reading was like -40 degrees or something like that. As soon as I swapped in another one it feels so much better and much more like how it's supposed to run. If you have another one to swap its pretty easy and may make a huge difference.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:49 pm

i didn't think you could adjust the sensor , you can adjust the throttle opening in the throttle body and perhaps the software. The idle adjustment screw always seems to be frozen and break off though...what a pain.

I forget what your reading was, but it isn't in degrees, it should be a number between 0 - 255, with the normal range being withing 40(?) (since it is somewhat open) and close to 255. Something like that. Your reading was in like -7 or similar.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”