Shell Preppin '74 EMS

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
saab90089
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Shell Preppin '74 EMS

Postby saab90089 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd love to come out and give you a hand but life's turning to be pretty busy.....i'll post up or send PM if I get a weekend-day that I can help.

ian
1-97 Impreza L wagon w/many mods--mine
1-C900 turbo w/290K--mine
4-C900 turbo's in various states--dads
1-Legacy wagon--dads
1-Forester--moms

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:58 pm

Hey luke, how is the bodywork coming? Need help one of these weekends? Also what was the name of the aircraft parts company that you bought those vibration mounts from?
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

bam2002
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby bam2002 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:38 pm

Hello
Sorry to come on to this post months late but I just got a 1975 EMS and am looking to keep it stock. I found a rust free west coast car but the seats are damaged. I noticed in your photos your stock seats are the same as mine ( the Brown and tan ) .

My question is: those of you that are gutting your cars to make them rally cars. Do you want to sell your interiors? I need seat skins and some other smaller parts.

Here are some photos of my car.

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/bam2002/Saab/

Thanks.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:16 pm

That's a nice looking car. Most people tend to buy shells to use for racing that aren't in that great shape (cosmetically ) since it keeps the cost down...but maybe somebody has some spares they shelved. Where are you located?

bam2002

Postby bam2002 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:39 am

I am in Brandon FL, its near Tampa.
I do a bit of work up in Raleigh NC and Eagan Minn. So if any one knows of Saab junkyards up in those areas let me know.

I would even be interested in sections of seat skins. Meaning if some one only had the back, i could then get the needed parts from differnt cars.

I have found some parts on Ebay UK but shipping is a bit pricey.

Also I was considering paying to have a fiberglass mold made of the front spoiler. Is this something that other 99 owners would be interested in? Im guessing not the rally crowd because it would be destroyed.

I was up at the Eurofest at the BMW plant this year. The featured marquee were Sweedish cars. There were alot of Volvos and a few Saabs, Bu they were the 900s or the 2 stroke, There was only one 99 there. I guess there are not many of these cars left.

I am no stranger to cars that I cant get parts in the USA. My Fiance has a Classic right hand drive mini. I have 2 Citroen DS 21 cars. Plus a 1969 BMW 1600 convertible. A 1981 ALpina BMW E21 and a 1985 BME Baur E30 323 euro. Most of these cars have parts that are NLA.
I have been lucky since the BMWs seem to have a very strong Internet community and I have been able to locate parts. I am hoping the same is true for the Saab.

Also the 99 Rally car is amazing. I have built cars for track use but we have never had to go to that extreme. RE welding , structrual enhancments and fabrication.

The group here should check out the 24 hours of Lemons. http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/ there are a few Saab teams that have been runing these events. I ran a BMW e30 last year.

Thanks for the Help..

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:44 pm

bam2002 wrote:Also I was considering paying to have a fiberglass mold made of the front spoiler. Is this something that other 99 owners would be interested in? Im guessing not the rally crowd because it would be destroyed.

You can get a decent replication here

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:25 am

You've got some neat cars!
I can't see the photos of the seats you're talking about but I think you're talking about the tan/brown 99 EMS seats with the strips of brown pleather accents. If its the cloth you're looking for, I may need some too at some point. I think I've seen these seats re-covered before (I know I've seen it done with the later red seats). Its possible a good upholstery shop might be able to come up with a match.

I think there's a thread somewhere on the list about possibly building a 24 hours of lemons car.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

The Josh
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Asshole

Postby The Josh » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:17 am

Bump for the best Saab racecar build ever!

Luke is the man!
Testing the Fine line between ghetto and resourceful

dr_rallye

Postby dr_rallye » Thu May 21, 2009 10:58 am

Hey, first up great thread. Spectacular work on your car - it's looking fine :thumbsup:

Just wanted to say that your approach to tar removal early in the project was an inspiration. In the end I used CO2 from fire extinguishers to much the same effect, although that said you don't find as much tar in French Peugeot's as in the Saab!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu May 21, 2009 12:26 pm

dr_rallye wrote:although that said you don't find as much tar in French Peugeot's as in the Saab!

nor sheet metal as thick! :lol:

Welcome!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re:

Postby hutch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm about midway through a paintjob and was thinking about adding some stripes like these, did you have directions for taping off those stripes or was it mostly done by eyeballing it? Mine will be a 900 notchback so I would think it would be nearly identical to the 99.

And you wouldn't be able to remake those decals would you? I would love to have a set to be able to cleanly apply paint to my car.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:46 am

Don't have an real guidelines for the stripes, you just have to look at lots of old reference pictures to get a sense of relative locations for stripes against known body features. It was tough for a 2 door as they only used that livery in the 2 door for one or two events in 78, the other bodies they used that year were all 3 doors.

GOLFGURU
Nickname: GURU

Postby GOLFGURU » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:31 pm

:thumbsup: WOW! Thats the right way to go..Great setup and job...Wish I had the same..j

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”