868 mile 1984 Saab 900 recovered!

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: 868 mile 1984 Saab 900 recovered!

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:24 pm

This was the car I posted about in the classifieds. Glad someone got it, as I had replied to the listing months ago and ended up buying my spg. I’ve seen many cars sit like this for years as people get too old to drive but can’t let go. I don’t know the specifics on it but the person I wrote to said that they had inherited the car.
There is no such thing as too low or too stiff.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:28 am

This whole thing is mind boggling to me. A car that was apparently bought new, driven less than 1000 miles, and left outside for 30 years? The property looks pretty overgrown, was it abandoned for that long too? I really am surprised that it isn't more rusty. I've had those cars sit outside for a few years and the rotors have gotten so rusty that I had to beat the calipers with 15lb sledge to get them off the rotor.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:05 am

Geoff wrote:I really am surprised that it isn't more rusty. I've had those cars sit outside for a few years and the rotors have gotten so rusty that I had to beat the calipers with 15lb sledge to get them off the rotor.

I am going to say much of that is due to a "normal operation" north-east car. Even clean cars that have been driven say 50K will have minerals and salts on them from being used that basically will never come off regardless of how many times they are washed. They are inside areas you cant get to or see, but they still act on metals from there, and will creep. I am thinking a car that has seen use is going to rust from sitting a lot worse than one that's basically never been exposed to minerals & salts.

Having said that, tall moist grass / weeds I would think would be pretty rough for any car, given that much passage of time. Could it be that maybe it was in a garage for 1/2 the time it was sitting, and it was only fully exposed to the elements for the other 1/2? That might account for condition a bit more?
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:40 pm

DeLorean wrote:
Geoff wrote:I really am surprised that it isn't more rusty. I've had those cars sit outside for a few years and the rotors have gotten so rusty that I had to beat the calipers with 15lb sledge to get them off the rotor.

I am going to say much of that is due to a "normal operation" north-east car. Even clean cars that have been driven say 50K will have minerals and salts on them from being used that basically will never come off regardless of how many times they are washed. They are inside areas you cant get to or see, but they still act on metals from there, and will creep. I am thinking a car that has seen use is going to rust from sitting a lot worse than one that's basically never been exposed to minerals & salts.

Yep, and I think that also explains why pacific northwest cars, although constantly wet, don't seem to hardly rust at all...

Topcat12
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Topcat12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:46 pm

RadioFlyer wrote:
I also wonder if that paint will buff out.

Looks like a candidate for restoration in a bottle, remember those commercials of the guy in a junkyard making the heaps look concours? LOL...Or ...maybe "clay magic" would do the trick?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”