93' Road Racer Build

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: 93' Road Racer Build

Postby squaab99t » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 pm

Luke wrote:
I also have one of those spoilers, love them, they were used on the SAAB rally support vehicles. The one I have has never been mounted with the part number sticker still on the inside. They are pretty flimsy, so I was also thinking about making a mold to make spares.

When it is an open geometry like that it will not have much stiffness. Once mounted and closed box it will be much stiffer just like when you tape up the top of a box.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:02 am

squaab99t wrote:
Luke wrote:
I also have one of those spoilers, love them, they were used on the SAAB rally support vehicles. The one I have has never been mounted with the part number sticker still on the inside. They are pretty flimsy, so I was also thinking about making a mold to make spares.

When it is an open geometry like that it will not have much stiffness. Once mounted and closed box it will be much stiffer just like when you tape up the top of a box.

Yeah, its not really a matter of stiffness that concerns me, the material is like that used on the 1st gen airflow kits, very brittle and very thin and I would most likely be using it on something that drives sideways between trees.

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Trying to decide if my reservoir design will work properly...

I have the larger port roughly halfway up the side of the tank facing towards the water pump. In order to keep air out of the system, does that mean I will always have to keep coolant filled above this minimum line?

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm having trouble understanding what you are describing and what you are trying to solve.
Air bubble rise to vent to atmosphere, so yes waterline above the highest ingesting point's waterline.

jdwertz
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby jdwertz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:21 pm

squaab99t wrote:I'm having trouble understanding what you are describing and what you are trying to solve.
Air bubble rise to vent to atmosphere, so yes waterline above the highest ingesting point's waterline.

Basically asking what you already answered. The design of the current reservoir has the inlet port from the water pump pretty high up on the tank. Looks like I need to revisit my design.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”