Any interest in pre 88 custom hubs?

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Any interest in pre 88 custom hubs?

Postby Geoff » Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 am

Birdie, what's your idea with the spacers? It almost looks like you're trying to run vented discs and calipers without having the source non-vented hubs. You could probably put a 5mm spacer between the hub and the disc but you might lose the self-centering between the disc and hub.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Geoff wrote:Birdie, what's your idea with the spacers? It almost looks like you're trying to run vented discs and calipers without having the source non-vented hubs. You could probably put a 5mm spacer between the hub and the disc but you might lose the self-centering between the disc and hub.

This is the easiest way to do it and the least expensive. short of just finding the vented hubs
Last edited by Crazyswede on Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon May 12, 2014 1:16 pm

Crazyswede wrote:This is the easiest way to do it and the least expensive.

:rolleyes: SAAB did make a few hundred thousand front e-brake cars with vented brakes... Hence why I asked the question...

BIRDIEMANGO
Nickname: BIRDIE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 8

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Tue May 13, 2014 1:06 am

Geoff wrote:Birdie, what's your idea with the spacers? It almost looks like you're trying to run vented discs and calipers without having the source non-vented hubs. You could probably put a 5mm spacer between the hub and the disc but you might lose the self-centering between the disc and hub.

HELLO GEOFF,

YEP, THE 'VENTED DISC' TYPE 'FLANGE' (AS WE CALL IT) IS THE HARDEST PART TO SOURCE.....

SAVING CASTING/MACHINING A WHOLE NEW BATCH OF THEM,I JUST THOUGHT THAT SPACING OUT A 'STANDARD FLANGE',WOULD BE AN OPTION....?

THE WIDER YOKE CALIPERS TEND TO TURN UP HERE,EVERY NOW AND AGAIN......EVEN OLD KNACKERED ONES,ARE GOOD FOR 'REFURBISHMENT' BUT ONLY ON AN EXCHANGE BASIS......

A PAGE OR TWO BACK, MY ORIGINAL IDEA,WAS TO TRY AND RUN 108 PCD VENTED DISCS&CALIPERS,BUT RETAINING THE 114.3 SET UP......BY USING THE 114.3 PCD FLANGE.....AND SOME MACHINING?

FOR NOW, FINDING THE O/E VENTED DISC SET-UP, SOLVES THE PROBLEM FOR THE 'CLARION 99 T'.......

BUT POTENTIALLY,NOT FOR THE NEXT PROJECT..... :huh:
CARLSSON TO BLOMQVIST......

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue May 13, 2014 8:27 am

Geoff wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:This is the easiest way to do it and the least expensive.

:rolleyes: SAAB did make a few hundred thousand front e-brake cars with vented brakes... Hence why I asked the question...

I was talking with some Swedes and apparently those vented front brakes were not used nearly as frequently in Europe as they were here... only used on the equivalent of the SPG over there, not on all 86-87 SPG, 86-87 turbos and 87 "S" like here...

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Huu, interesting. Even to this day, if you "make the rounds" to the PA junk yards, you can grab a set of the vented 86-87 hubs. There is a set sitting in newringgold now.... probably for $40, you'd have em.
Less brake more gas!

BIRDIEMANGO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Wed May 14, 2014 1:00 am

:ranting:

THERE ARE VERY,VERY RARE NOW HERE.......

ONLY SUPPLIED ON THE 900 16S FOR MAYBE EIGHTEEN MONTHS....?

THE 900 16S(SPG USA?) ARE VERY FEW,AND FAR BETWEEN NOW IN THE UK,SO ANY THAT HAVE BEEN 'BROKEN FOR SPARES' USUALLY HAVE THE FRONT HUBS/BRAKES GO 'MISSING' FIRST.....

ANY THAT ARE LEFT HERE NOW,ARE IN MID-RESTORATION......EITHER JUST TO KEEP THEM ON THE ROAD,OR BACK TO CONCOURS STANDARD.. :thumbsup: :yay:

EVEN THIS '87 16V AUTO LHD 'JAPAN SPEC' CONVERTIBLE I HAD,WAS FRONT HANDBRAKE,BUT ONLY HAD STANDARD 'SOLID' DISCS ON THE FRONT....
Attachments
99 TURBO INCAS ON A 'VERT.JPG
99 TURBO INCAS ON A 'VERT.JPG (62.87 KiB) Viewed 3259 times
900 16S.jpg
900 16S.jpg (7.44 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

''WHAT IS THIS TERRIBLE THING YOU HAVE TAUGHT YOURSELF,YOU MUST UNLEARN IT.....''

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed May 14, 2014 11:40 am

Whaaaat!? It must have been a US marketing thing. With the US automakers changing body styles every three years the European car companies had to make continual improvements to stay relevant. "SAAB Safety: Now with vented brake disks!" Its not like they're really necessary on the street.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed May 14, 2014 12:18 pm

Geoff wrote:Whaaaat!? It must have been a US marketing thing. With the US automakers changing body styles every three years the European car companies had to make continual improvements to stay relevant. "SAAB Safety: Now with vented brake disks!" Its not like they're really necessary on the street.

they are not even really necessary for rally or racing...the stock non ventilated ones work very well. But if we have them...why not use them :lol:
I am the 73%

BIRDIEMANGO

Postby BIRDIEMANGO » Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Crazyswede wrote:

they are not even really necessary for rally or racing...the stock non ventilated ones work very well. But if we have them...why not use them :lol:

THAT'S WHAT I ALWAYS THOUGHT,UNTIL I DID A LAP OF THE 'TT' COURSE,AT 33 3/4 MILES....... :-O

LEFT FOOT BRAKING

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

BIRDIEMANGO wrote:
Crazyswede wrote:

THAT'S WHAT I ALWAYS THOUGHT,UNTIL I DID A LAP OF THE 'TT' COURSE,AT 33 3/4 MILES....... :-O

I think a set of spacers...and maybe some longer wheel studs will be the answer to the fitting of vented rotors.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu May 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Just have to check to see if that spaces the rotor out too far to keep the hub flange useful for mounting hub-centric wheels.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”