'80 99 With T16V - Sven Block!

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
swmeatball
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: '80 99 With T16V - Sven Block!

Postby swmeatball » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm not sure, they sit pretty close to the cover plate - I feel like they will... Occurs to me now that it would be easy to plop that plate on the engine that's in the car, I'll definitely do that before I go any further, thanks for bringing that up.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:49 pm

swmeatball wrote:I'm not sure, they sit pretty close to the cover plate - I feel like they will... Occurs to me now that it would be easy to plop that plate on the engine that's in the car, I'll definitely do that before I go any further, thanks for bringing that up.

Carefully close the hood the first time....

My original COP was a set of bulbass MSD.

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:50 pm

I've decided it fits, got the hood down without any funny stuff. My rubber mounts for the coils showed up, definitely way too floppy, I'm going to stick with the rigid mounting method (seems like that is how these coil near plug arrangements are always done, at least as far as I can tell from the internet) and make some aluminum standoffs.

IMG_20150225_141653.jpg

Dennis your work is amazing, totally envious of your skills and patience, are you running a megasquirt?

I've almost got the old engine out and the plan is to get the new one in and hooked up mechanically then tackle the FI harness, got hung up on cursed taper pin at the shifter rod, whacked it with the ball peen after spraying and its not moving, gonna jack the car up another few inches so I got more room to swing at it I guess. Definitely drilling out and replacing with a bolt, seems like that's been done, any reason not too?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Have you tried an air hammer with a flat tip to get the taper pin out?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:19 pm

I've replaced one or two with a bolt when I broke a taper pin and didn't have a spare handy, it works fine. The selector rod that comes out of the transmission is really, really hard though.

If you can get a good angle at it, you can take a small 1/4" drive socket and put it over the big end of the pin and use a small C-clamp to push the pin out if it's really stubborn.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:55 pm

swmeatball wrote:Dennis your work is amazing, totally envious of your skills and patience, are you running a megasquirt?

I'd like to say it is the fault of some of the Saabrally members. Tough to keep up with the Jones. aka Luke.
The nice thing is that this is not a daily driver or a race car, so I have the luxury of time to dial it in and not pressured to meet a deadline.
Great to see you and others out there doing stuff in the shop.

I'm not running Megasquirt, but a standalone engine management, EMS out of Australia. She is kinda old, 10+ years and a bit dated. It was a good system to learn on and it still delivery spark and fuel pretty well. There are some very nice ECUs today for pretty reasonable money.

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Fri May 01, 2015 1:37 pm

So the transmission that was in the car was the one with the bearing on the end of the input shaft, sits in a boss on the inside of the front cover, since that cover was from the 99 (to go with the engine mount) I'd just elected to toss the bearing and of course the plastic thingy and spring steel clip that go with the non bearing type transmission were not installed. This time I'm using a transmission that has no bearing so I can install the plastic thing and clip (I'm assuming it has something to do with supplying oil to the chains) however the clip I've got is deformed a little and I'm not very comfortable with the possibility of it coming loose and getting sucked into the works... Its fitting pretty well, just not perfect, so I was going to buy a new one but seems like they're nla, any thoughts? Just ditch the whole thing? Anyone got a source?

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Got my manifold welded up, I'll have to get a new one when I switch to dual injectors! Decided to slot all but the top three boltholes, just wanted to avoid the added pain of welding some extra material on the lower and side holes, seems like it should be fine.

IMG_20150507_183300.jpg

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 pm

I've welded one of those before. Not much fun.
Why did you weld the injector ports closed too?

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Wed May 13, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm using a T7 head that has the separate fuel injector block, I could have found some sort of plug or tapped for a bolt but this was easy enough, my buddy who did the welding had a fairly easy time of it once he switched to a lanthanated electrode, did take a ton of heat for sure, he's also really good.

A picture of the spring steel retainer clip, guess I'm gonna straighten it out and reuse it, not turning any new ones up from the usual suspects.

IMG_20150512_183855.jpg

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Wed May 13, 2015 4:57 pm

I bet if you just rotate it so that the bent portion is against the flange it will sit in there just fine, that doesn't look too bad.

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Finally got my intake set up, ended up slotting the lower holes with a bridgeport and drilled the upper ones using the fuel injector block as a guide, then gasket matched the ovalized runners in the manifold to be closer to the square shape further downstream. Also had to nip off two of the mounting bosses for the upper bolts to clear the fuel rail mounts. Anyways pretty happy with it.

Anyone got a diagram of the clutch slave? I got the rebuild kit form Eeuro but a little confused as to how to proceed, looks like the whole center section pops out, found a write up that will probably cover it but a drawing would be nice.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... p?t=150823

IMG_20150824_190250.jpg

Oh and my clip thingy for the oil supply to the chains, took Drew's advice, reformed the thing and clocked it, don't think it's going anywhere.

DrewP

Postby DrewP » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:09 pm

The slave just pulls apart. Pop the throwout bearing off, then put it face down on a work bench (snout that the bearing goes on goes against the bench) then lean down hard on the outer flange where the 3 mounting holes are. The outer aluminum housing will pop out of the inner rear aluminum housing (that seats against the transmission), and then you can slide the annodized piston out. You'll see the 3 o-rings, big one that goes between the aluminum housings, and the smaller ones that go on the inside and outside of the piston.

Clean out all the gunk, lubricate the whole thing judiciously with brake fluid on reassembly, slide the piston in, and then put it upside down on the bench and press the housings back together.

Hope that made sense. It's only 3 parts and the o-rings just hold them together until it's bolted in.

Be careful not to scratch any of the surfaces that the o-rings ride on or it can leak.

Don't clean it with anything abrasive, very light scotchbrite, but if you can get it cleaned up with just a cloth that's better. The surface finish on the machined parts is extremely fine.

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Didn't get into it yet but thanks for the tips, seems pretty straightforward. I'm putting in the old clutch, its in good shape, and one of the easier things to change should it be necessary. I had the clutch, flywheel, and crank balanced as an assembly.

Also got my new RH motor mount tacked together, gonna have my welder buddy finish it off with the TIG to keep distortion minimized. Made it our of 3/16" which was close to the thickness of the factory piece, its a chunk of steel for sure.

IMG_20150726_110956-nopm-.jpg

swmeatball

Postby swmeatball » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

My confusion with the slave rebuild is about sussed out, seems like the kit includes an extra o-ring I don't use, looks like the older slave with the spring on the outside has a ring that seals the steel plunger that pushes against the throwout bearing, whereas the later model has no seal on that plunger, just the o ring on the end that helps the bearing stay in place. Pretty miraculous, or am I missing something...

IMG_20150901_212243.jpg
three new rings, two old ones...

IMG_20150901_213839.jpg
one o-ring that doesn't seal anything

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”