Twin Scroll Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
KoogiA17
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Twin Scroll Turbo

Postby KoogiA17 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:51 am

squaab99t wrote:Let's see a picture of your model. Since it is a model save as a .stl file and have it printed in abs or ultem and test fit it. Ultem you might be able to run it for 30 seconds b :thumbsup:

It would be the same as the last pic but now everything lines up.

Not a bad idea to have it 3d printed. Could do it all in one if someone in the UK has a big enough printer (we are a bit Stoneage when it comes to cost effective 3d printing services), otherwise print it in sections. Having said that, am tempted to measure up the engine bay, block, mounts etc and model them in CAD. Only stumbling block is that I basically dismantled the engine bay chasing the dreaded tin worm. If there was a spot weld in the bay then it got drilled out.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 am

KoogiA17 wrote:
squaab99t wrote:Let's see a picture of your model. Since it is a model save as a .stl file and have it printed in abs or ultem and test fit it. Ultem you might be able to run it for 30 seconds b :thumbsup:

It would be the same as the last pic but now everything lines up.

Not a bad idea to have it 3d printed. Could do it all in one if someone in the UK has a big enough printer (we are a bit Stoneage when it comes to cost effective 3d printing services), otherwise print it in sections. Having said that, am tempted to measure up the engine bay, block, mounts etc and model them in CAD. Only stumbling block is that I basically dismantled the engine bay chasing the dreaded tin worm. If there was a spot weld in the bay then it got drilled out.

That is very tighty if you can maintain the CRLs you need.

Print the runners in smaller sections and reassemble with bonding agent is the way to go. I would model in index features such as witness marks or even a tab and slot to the respective ends of the sections to get the clocking correct.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Primaries 2 and 3 are fully welded. Reassembled with the merge collector and the turbo attached. Everything seems to line up and I can leave Swedish wrench in the tool box.
image.jpg

Next phase is the external wastegates. My initial design, I'm going to have to hack into the Burns merge collectors for the bleed off tubes. Got to break some eggs to bake a cake.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:40 am

The wastegate V band inlet and outlet flanges are 1 7/8" and 1 3/4" respectively. I have a box full of 1 5/8" drops that came from all the U bends I used for the primaries. So how does one make use of those? A press, repurposing a flare die, and some assy lube :silent:
My friend Kevin helped me crank out these gems:
IMG_5178.JPG

He used his lathe to turn down the OD to mate to the flange. One could also use a belt sander to dial in the OD.

That is the sex. Don't even want to cover that up with a weld.
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_5185.JPG

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 am

KoogiA17 wrote:Wonder how far the engine will move in operation?

Would probably start with more bend off the head / straight section rather than going to a tighter radius. Could ovalise some of the tubing /fabricate an ovalised tubing in the affected area maintaining CSA but probably more of a challenge to get right. Might not give enough clearance anway.

Went with the local ovalized area. Backed up the tubing with some scrap 1/2" UHMW (plastic) and used a hand clamp to massage the area. I have enough space now to add a thermal barrier to protect the bushing.
IMG_5189[1].JPG

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:31 am

Progress on the wastegates. Working on the 2-3 runners. At first I could just come off of the lower and life would be simple. Thought about it and decided against the idea.
So the wastegate bleed tube should be 90* or less to the flow. The shallow the better according to Turbosmart.
Mocked up in situ.
IMG_5265[1].JPG

IMG_5262[1].JPG

All well in good except there is a gap at the crotch of the Y on the merge collector. Plan is to add a little wedge of sheet and that will close off the backside. I'll drill two holes/ellipses in the merge collector or a larger single shape.
IMG_5272[1].JPG

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:54 pm

I pulled the trigger on finalizing the wastegate branch off the merge collector.
Welded in the web to close out the gap left by the ellipse.
IMG_5279.JPG

Had to cowboyup on this move. With a step drill bit I added the holes, and it was not happy about it. Raining hot chips of metal and cutting fluid on to my ankles it let me know about it. Shorts in the shop has it pluses and minuses.
IMG_5281.JPG

Tack and welded
IMG_5285.JPG

Inside the two ellipses make up 70% of the cross sectional area of the wastegate. This should be plenty, as single wastegate is sized for all four of the primaries.
IMG_5287.JPG

Now off to do the other side 1 and 4 primaries

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Phenomenal work as always!

What size wastegates are you going to use? Looks like 2" piping.

What is your next project going to be? Some sort of crazy compound turbo setup?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Nate wrote:Phenomenal work as always!

What size wastegates are you going to use? Looks like 2" piping.

What is your next project going to be? Some sort of crazy compound turbo setup?

Thanks for the complement.
I'm using the leftover 1 5/8 tubing from the U bends used on the primaries. It is about .063" wall, so that makes the inner diameter 1 1/2".
I flared out the tubing to match the supplied wastegate V band fittings.
IMG_5295.JPG

Wastegate I sized will be a bit of experiment. I originally had a 45mm I was going to use on another project. I repurposed that to be on primaries 2 and 3 which are the long runners. ~30" and 32", respectively. So, I had to buy another wastegate due to the twin scroll. 1 and 4 will be a 40mm wastegate. These have the short runners ~26" and 27", respectively. The smaller size saves a few bucks and volume in the engine compartment.
IMG_5297.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

I have not tacked the fittings/tubes to the banks yet. The wastegates and fittings are different sizes, so you can't swap the units side to side. Need to sit down and plan the strategy of the two sizes. I may have to swap 180 degrees to what I wrote above?

I ran a single TiAl 38mm thru the turbo swing gate hole in the turbine housing using this turbo compressor. The two gate setup will be more than enough to control the boost. At least that is what I'm telling myself.

Next project might be a while. Kinda blew my mojo on this one. Coming up on 9 months since I decommissioned the old downpipe and exhaust manifold.
G0076724.JPG

Might be tough to top this one, as this one has taken on a life of its own. I'm sure I'll think of something. :crazy:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:23 pm

I haven't even gotten around to making a set of those socket weld pipe fitting bookends that Jody posted about... I think you're doing pretty great.

The twin wastegates are going to look pretty rad stuffed down in there! I've gotta get a video of my car with the short headers and Simons exhaust. Without the log manifold the exhaust note is very non-C900.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:44 pm

DrewP wrote:I haven't even gotten around to making a set of those socket weld pipe fitting bookends that Jody posted about... I think you're doing pretty great.

The twin wastegates are going to look pretty rad stuffed down in there! I've gotta get a video of my car with the short headers and Simons exhaust. Without the log manifold the exhaust note is very non-C900.

Life does get in the way of some of those optional projects.
Dual wastegate is going to look bad ass. Maybe some scream pipes out the top of the hood?
I have been joneszin to fire it up to hear the tone. Still need new oil and water lines to the turbo, but in reality that is the easy stuff.
Main thing is that I want to work on it at a pace that is fun/learning and not work/chore to get it done.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:37 am

Working the left side wastegate. Went much quicker than the first, so I thought. Fit up was good and got a good handle on how much and where to remove material with the belt grinder.
image.jpg

Time to check fit up in the car. Should have all sorts of room without the downpipe, turbine or fender.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Crashes into the compressor outlet. Doh!
This is why I use the blue tape. Measure twice, weld once in this case.
Need to reclock the wastegate pipe a few degrees and it should clear the housing outlet.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 am

Hey Dennis,

I followed all of your instructions but my header doesn't look the same, what gives?

:lol: :lol:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 pm

I think its just a photography lighting problem
I am the 73%

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:33 pm

Crazyswede wrote:I think its just a photography lighting problem

I agree, it should look a bit better as the sun goes down, or you slam the hood closed.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”