Twin Scroll Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Twin Scroll Turbo

Postby Hans » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Just so the readers know, Dennis would have been a lot farther along this weekend if he hadn't spent half the day helping me pull an engine from a junkyard. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Hans wrote:Just so the readers know, Dennis would have been a lot farther along this weekend if he hadn't spent half the day helping me pull an engine from a junkyard. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All good fun. It was a good day at the yard. No heart attach victims or mashed appendages.
I did a bit more before I give the TIG braze flanges a collage try.
The battery was in even an increased heat zone with the turbo moving outboard. Time to find a new home. Some put it over on the driver side by the oem air clear. That area on my car is occupied by gearbox cooling stuff and water/meth injection gear.
I opted for the volume under where the turbo use to sit.
Busted out the card stock.
image.jpeg

Battery mocked up. Reusing the battery hold down bracket I made from before.
image.jpeg

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Cardboard to 5052 aluminum. Layed out using the cardboard as the template.
image.jpeg

Holes added for stiffening flare holes
image.jpeg

Then cut out the periphery.
image.jpeg

Flared
image.jpeg

99sven

Postby 99sven » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:32 am

Hans wrote:Just so the readers know, Dennis would have been a lot farther along this weekend if he hadn't spent half the day helping me pull an engine from a junkyard. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Engine pulling party and I was not invited? Bummer. Next time give me a call. I need to replenish my C900 spares.
Gregg Cronn

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:13 am

99sven wrote:

Engine pulling party and I was not invited? Bummer. Next time give me a call. I need to replenish my C900 spares.

Sorry we did not invite you. Hans was very focused on getting that engine.
Pick and pull is not the deal it use to be. I grabbed maybe 6 part that barely filled a plastic shopping bag, $85. Cheaper than buying new, if you can even get the parts? But seems steep for parts that are bound for the smelting plant.
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:03 am

I've really been enjoying following your process through this. Some very nice designs and quality of work.

The last time I went to a pick n pull was a few years ago, but it was the same experience where everything seemed like too much money. I even ended up not taking a few things for the prices they wanted.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 am

KPAero wrote:I've really been enjoying following your process through this. Some very nice designs and quality of work.

I'm glad that you appreciate the thread and the project. With the iPhone it makes photo documenting the process really easy. Before it was pull out the camera. Be careful with it because it was not ruggedized and have to download to a pc only to upload to a website.
Okay enough yammering on let's see some progress.
Bent up the sheet metal. Turned out pretty good for not having a box pan brake. Bench vise, 1/4" steel plate, C clamps, hammer/mallets, and patience.
image.jpeg

Fit check before drilling the mounting holes and welding up the seams. It might box the snout to create a torque box.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kevin and I did some more TIG brazing practice fillets on flanges and tubes. We preheated the flanges with MAPP gas to 500*F and then proceeded. I had very little cracking. Kevin switch up the technic and added a lot more filler rod and got no cracks. :thumbsup:
So did we solve it? We will see on the real parts.

swmeatball
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby swmeatball » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:00 pm

I'm trying to find a battery that will fit under the plywood trunk floor in my 99, at around 5" tall, I'll have to measure, but I bet that one will fit, you've had good luck with it? I had an Optima back there but it was a bit tall (when mounted on its side), it was a blem I'd bought for $60 and failed so time to find a replacement.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:58 am

swmeatball wrote:I'm trying to find a battery that will fit under the plywood trunk floor in my 99, at around 5" tall, I'll have to measure, but I bet that one will fit, you've had good luck with it? I had an Optima back there but it was a bit tall (when mounted on its side), it was a blem I'd bought for $60 and failed so time to find a replacement.

I've had no complaints. Coming up on 5 years old and it still holds a charge fine. I do have a agm battery minder for it, but I only use that between major down time like on this project. Took a quick measure and it is 5 7/8" with the terminals. You can google the specs it is the 925 model. I went with the metal jacket because of where it lives.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Finished the TIG braze late last night/early morning. Felt I needed to get it done. It was time the shit or get off the pot on this step.
Turned out fair and should do it job.
Jigged
image.jpeg

Blazed and scotch bright. Typical flange. Still got some hairline cracks even with the preheat.

image.jpeg

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:17 am

Well after all that work with the battery tray she no workie... :fuckyou: Current battery is too tall and hit 1 and 4 wastegate and its plumbing. Jonesin' to fire this baby up I pressed on with putting it back to the original location. This will work fine for a fitcheck/trial run with the proper heat shield treatment. Long term will be to move the battery back to its new home. I'll look around SEMA to see if I can find something to fit the bill.

Speaking of heat shields. Remember the number one primary coming super close to the upper A arm pillow block. The rubber bushing would not live long with the extra heat. I took a section of inconel 1 7/8" tubing and formed it into a radiation shield. The stuff was harder than stone. Portaband with a brand new blade would not cut it. I ended up using the edge of the belt grinder to cut lines. Not pretty but it worked. I left extra material to allow cleaning up the edge.
IMG_6049.JPG

I got the final install done. Very time consuming fitting all the piece of the puzzle together. It would have been easier if the battery worked out, but that is how it goes. I had to disassemble, and punt to put the battery back. Luckily I dd not rework the battery leads to make them shorter to fit the new location. I would have been hosed when I moved back to the OEM tray.
Some minor adjustments and work to be done, but I'm thinking tomorrow will be "fire in the hole!"
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6053.JPG

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:37 pm

After some quick ignition troubleshooting and running the fuel pump to put "fresh" gas in the rail she was up and breathing.
image.jpeg

Put some heat into with a high idle to burn off the volatiles. The primaries turned a nice straw yellow. I acetone wipe cleaned the tubing prior to heat cycle. Nothing worst than a a hand or finger prints burnt into the stainless.
image.jpeg

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:00 pm

First dyno pull...turbo hits full spool....differential lands on passenger side of dyno.
I am the 73%

KoogiA17
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby KoogiA17 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:57 am

We need to hear it!!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:47 pm

I bet it feels good to have it running again!

Any reason you went with Inconel on the heat shield? High reflectivity vs. other materials? I looked around the webs a little bit and found a bunch of stuff about Inconel heat shields for turbos but no reason why they're used (other than "they reduce heat").

If that bushing ever gets too hot you could do what the SS&R did on the turbo rally cars: bronze bushings!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”