Twin Scroll Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Twin Scroll Turbo

Postby gmreider » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm

HE could. But by the looks of that engine compartment, Space for hoses is tight. Better to just sweat! It will go so fast that there will plenty air flow.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:47 pm

gmreider wrote:I guess the A/C system will be gone for evermore? I can't wait to here you take on power and lag and so on. Are you going to dyno the car for some fine tuning ?

The quality of your work is really raising the bar on projects on this forum. I'll soon be ashamed to open the hood on my cars.
Pleas keep the projects coming !!

Thanks everyone for the congrats and following along on the journey.
I've always wanted to build a header. Timing and funding was right to do it in a more outlandish fashion and learn quite a bit along the way.
I'll wait for the new ecu install before I go back to the Dyno for fine tuning. Might do a wot sweep at a Dyno day just to see the difference in spool up and maybe power.
As for first impression difference, the engine seems very strong and responsive. No rattles, leaks, smoke or flame. I left the mbc at the original setting but with 2 wastegates it did not bleed off enough so we were at about 8-9 psi. Probably a good thing for initial testing.
We got some first (second) start up GoPro view of the engine compartment. No exhaust leaks with the RTV at the flanges and head interface. A surprising amount of condensation leaking/ spritzing from the V band fitting. The tone is definitely different than the log manifold.
I'll do some video editing and post it for viewing.
If you want to come see/hear it in person, I plan on being a the Swedish cruse in February 14 at the xxx rootbeer drive in at Issaquah Wa.

A/C has been gone for a while. Massive FMIC over took it. Although a cool cabin would be nice on the rare occasion when it is hot. I'm thinking one of those ice chest air chillers. They sell them for privite small aircraft. Sounds like another project brewing...

ajagodnik
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby ajagodnik » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:51 pm

WOW.
Can't wait to see/hear video of this in action!!

KoogiA17
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby KoogiA17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 am

You have done an amazing job :yay: I am extremely impressed by the myriad of skills and the determination that you have demonstrated in getting the project finished.

Would love to 'pop round' and see it in person but I checked and it involves a 1 hour drive to Heathrow, a very long wait in the departures lounge, a 10 hour flight and a further short drive to the diner!

That diner seems to be in a similar vein to the Ace Cafe in London.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 am

ajagodnik wrote:WOW.
Can't wait to see/hear video of this in action!!

https://vimeo.com/154011505

The middle is a bit boring with the look over inspection, but time well spent as not to dork it up on the 11th hour.

Some pulls thru 1-3 gear to get the sound of the engine. I'm liking it.

KoogiA17, Thanks for the props. I've actually made that trip many times before for work. Luckily Business class.
This forum is very close knit. My wife and I actually traveled to Oz and met up with Ross and viewed some the Australian WRC. Met Jordan at SEMA this year.
So not too far fetched to travel distances to talk and breath Saabs. Passion for something is what life is all about.
Last edited by squaab99t on Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KoogiA17

Postby KoogiA17 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 am

My comment was more an expression of my frustration that the trip to come and visit is a bit more involved than just getting in the car or jumping on the bus!

I concur, passion for something is what life is all about. Just have quite a lot of passions in my life! Necessary to undertake some serious organising and scheduling to fit them all in before time is up!

Have got a very long list of places to visit, journeys to take, projects to undertake etc. You have just added one more to that list. However, it might be some time before I get round to it.

Brilliant video by the way!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 pm

Wow, that sounds really cool...
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:47 pm

DrewP wrote:Wow, that sounds really cool...

Thanks, the log manifold sound is gone, but replaced with something even cooler.
I was a bit worried it would sound more tinny/ring being a much thinner material and cantilevered vs the cast iron oem unit. To my suprise it has a pretty good growl. Not V8, but not bad for a four banger.
Those were some light throttle pulls. At full song it is; WTF is under there?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I'll try to get my GoPro on the back of mine with the headers, TD-04, and Skandix sport exhaust - it sounds really different than yours, and really different from stock too.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Saabina

Postby Saabina » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Very cool! Been following this thread for a long time and the whole thing is way beyond impressive. Amzing!

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 am

Sounds awesome! :luke:

BTW I didn't notice it until the video, I saw you have a Squaabworks sticker on the valve cover? Are you worried about it melting up there or do you have some fancy aerospace coating on the cover or something? I was trying to think of a place to put mine and like that idea.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:54 am

hutch wrote:Sounds awesome! :luke:

BTW I didn't notice it until the video, I saw you have a Squaabworks sticker on the valve cover? Are you worried about it melting up there or do you have some fancy aerospace coating on the cover or something? I was trying to think of a place to put mine and like that idea.

Thanks.
Good old fashion vinyl and pressure sensitive adhesive. I had the location on my old cam cover and seemed to fair well. Just do a good alcohol (isopropyl) wipe of the area before you lay it down. If you have problems, I'll gladly get you some more.
Thanks for rocking the brand.

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Dennis congratulations on the completion. Not everyone is able to see their projects from start to finish. I am very impressed with your ability to design and fabricate to such a high standard. You should be very proud and happy!
Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 am

Jon1 wrote:Dennis congratulations on the completion. Not everyone is able to see their projects from start to finish. I am very impressed with your ability to design and fabricate to such a high standard. You should be very proud and happy!

Thanks Jon. I'm glad you and folks like you appreciate the effort and skill that it takes to design and make something from scratch. Finishing something is either a gift or a curse with me. It is always good to to finish what you start, but you need to realize when to stop when it is just not in the cards.
We tried to keep the pigeon from getting too close to the welding bench and pooping on stuff. My father in-law has a welding mantra of, "Every bead he makes is practice for the next perfect one." Taking the time to do fit up I found was key to a fantastic bead. Just like a good paint job it is all about the prep.
Some people have the means to just buy this stuff, but not get the experience to design and fabricate it. If you looked hard enough and had enough cash you might find someone to build a one off for a Saab. I am happy that the header/ turbo project seems to be a success and is coming to a conclusion. I was lucky enough to have the funding and time to take on this endeavor. Now it is time to test it and enjoy it. This gives some time to re-energize and to plan the next project?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:13 am

Compile vid of the primaries build. OMG, after seeing the video, I'm not sure what I was thinking?
https://vimeo.com/154957196
P1150112.JPG

P1150240.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”