Twin Scroll Turbo

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
sjones

Re: Twin Scroll Turbo

Postby sjones » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:00 pm

You bringing this on Sunday? :)

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:36 am

sjones wrote:You bringing this on Sunday? :)

That's the plan. Doing some final touches today and should be good to go.

Blue Jello Rain
Nickname: Aryl
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Blue Jello Rain » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Well? I've been excited for the results!

How'd it go?

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:04 pm

It was a pretty good time. Weather was not the best, but what did you expect mid Feb.
I did not have an umbrella girl, the next best thing:
Park bike stand holding it.
image.jpeg

About an hour drive from my house the the venue. We got there early to score an end spot.
image.jpeg

The car was quite the hit. Just about everyone who stopped by to look had the expression of WTF!? when they saw the turbo and header setup. Even some of the Volvo guys were impressed.
So many questions I did not have even a chance to check out the other cars. My buddy Kevin came along too and he help field folks' questions. Got two commission requests for more. It will be interesting to see how far that goes.
I did get pulled over by a lovely female state trooper. Not for speeding, but for tabs that were almost 2 years expired. That made sence being on jackstands for 17 months. She let me off with a written notice and said fix that within 7 days.
Sjones was there. He said he would post some images or vid. I saw some stuff on Instagram.
videos are on instagram right now under sdf_pubnix

sjones

Postby sjones » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Sorry I'm late.. for PNW meet of course we expected rain but it was likely one of the soggiest ones. There were two 96s, two 99s, a sonett III and a herd of 900s .. plus the VERY RARE Squaabworks 006 model. .. oh and about 500 volvos.

I posted some photos/videos here:

https://www.instagram.com/sdf_pubnix/

I tried to record the sound of the 006 engine near the manifold. Dennis definitely had at least someone peering into his engine bay all day (maybe the umbrella helped?)

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:24 pm

I seem to be producing these videos in reverse chronological order.

Building the primaries with the Icengineering model blocks.
https://vimeo.com/156791572

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:10 am

Time for more testing; After I corrected a weeping leak from the turbo oil return to block fitting. Took it apart, cleaned up all the mating surfaces and degreased. Nice even film of 518, time to cure and I was good to go. At least test to see if that fixed it.

Friday evening 20 mile test drive. Some flogging to check if all is well. I ran a datalog while driving. Some new lean spots at low loads. Higher loads AFRs were still good.
image.png

Ride along vid with natural sound. Ignore the mumbling of the driver. I was trying to tie the videoing with the time stamp on the datalog.
https://vimeo.com/158124973
I'm running a 2 stage boost controller. Trying to dial that in with the two wastegates. So far only able to get .70 bar (10.5 psi). Maybe not enough authority to bleed off the two units?
Btw oil leak fixed.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:19 pm

squaab99t wrote:I'm running a 2 stage boost controller. Trying to dial that in with the two wastegates. So far only able to get .70 bar (10.5 psi). Maybe not enough authority to bleed off the two units?

Well I think I found the problem, Electrical... I have an in cabin switch to go from stage 1 to stage 2 boost level. It is not behaving like expected when commanded by the switch.
So, back to the first principles. Check input, as turning the needle bleed off valve, changing wastegate spring, or plumb routing will not fix the root cause of the problem. :crazy:
I'll do some temporary hot wiring to prove out higher boost production.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Well my hotwire to the boost controller stage II did not work. With the needle dialed all the way open it only boosted to 10 psi.
IMG_7121.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

Nicely fused and thermal protected, but no joy. The boost controller does not have enough authority to bleed off for 2 wastegates.

Next step was to plumb the top side of the diaphragm thinking it would help the spring out and keep the wastegate closed and develop more boost. That too was a fail.

Step 3 is to change the spring rate or force. Right now I have the supplied 7 psi in place. Ordered an additional 5 psi spring that fits in the inner diameter of the existing spring. This will give me a base boost of 12 psi and the ability to go higher with the MBC. I'll see how this pans out.

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Dennis, no wonder you have not broken anything yet, with only .7 bar boost !! :lol: Just wait to feel the kick at 1 bar +.
Car sounds nice and I can feel the power just waiting to come alive just by watching the video.

I just took "RED" out for a spin around the block to get myself rejuvenated and the car didn't get any less exciting over the winter.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:09 pm

gmreider wrote:Dennis, no wonder you have not broken anything yet, with only .7 bar boost !! :lol: Just wait to feel the kick at 1 bar +.
Car sounds nice and I can feel the power just waiting to come alive just by watching the video.

I just took "RED" out for a spin around the block to get myself rejuvenated and the car didn't get any less exciting over the winter.

Lower pressure is a bit lame, but you still need to have a good grip on the wheel. New wastegate springs will be here tomorrow. Let's see if I can break some shit then.

A hot lap around the neighborhood is always good for the soul, just don't piss off the neighbors.
I have a clover leaf the next exit down on the freeway from my house. I use that as my test drive. On night a sheriff pulled me over post the test drive. I told him I was trying a few things out. He asked if I was done with that? With a slight hesitation I replied "Why yes I am officer." He let me off with a verbal.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:41 am

Added the inner 5psi spring to each wastegate.
image.jpeg

What a pita. I was hoping to add the springs with the gates insitu, but this guy was not able to compress the springs enough with the top cap and get the lock ring on. The cap also has detents that interlock with the lower so it would have been impossible to do without a vise or press. The other issue was the potential to cross thread the lockring and dork up the works. So do it right and pull the wastegates from the car and do it on the bench.
image.jpeg

You can see the inner spring nested in the outer. They have different winding to keep them from binding on themselves. I would think this is similar to cylinder head double valve springs.
So went for a short test run. Mbc fully shut I gauge I'm getting 12 psi. Two turns of the needle valve gave me a bit more, 1-2. Tomorrow morning I'll do some more dialing in. Pretty happy as I got control of it and it is rock solid boost when it hits the target.

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:11 am

Success. :yay: 1/3 into the red on the stock gauge at 4 turns of the mbc needle valve.
Need to hookup the ecu to the datalogger before I get too crazy.
Now I will get the in cabin stage switch I'll have two boost levels to choose from.

Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby Krizzie » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:21 pm

What an insane machine! :-O

I wonder what numbers will dyno out of this setup. :eyebrows:
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

squaab99t

Postby squaab99t » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:39 am

Krizzie wrote:What an insane machine! :-O

I wonder what numbers will dyno out of this setup. :eyebrows:

Thanks. It has been a fun and educational project overall. I'm thinking a gearbox upgrade is in the near future. :crazy:
The local Saab club asked me to organize a Dyno day. Sounds like a perfect time to see what the 006 will do. Last time it ran overly rich due to a wire issue on the water temp reading, leaving power on the table. :thumbsdown:
Any of you lurkers curious to see what your numbers are? It not about the big numbers. That is for Internet racing. It is about knowing if you are making changes in the right direction.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”