The New Norman

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

The New Norman

Postby Jordan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:06 am

So as many of you recall (some first hand) the eEuroparts LeMons car affectionately known as "Norman" was taken out to pasture (some would say Norman took them out to pasture) last fall.

IMG_2210.JPG

Luckily I was able to start Norman and run through the gears before his heart was cut out for later transplant.

Over the winter we sourced a replacement shell that could go one step beyond the banged and beaten Norman. A 912 (2-door coupe) 900 offered only in '85 as an 8v or '86 as a 16v variant was found rotting away in VT. The purchase price of $400 delivered was offset by the freshly rebuilt tranny that was sold to myself for $200 (maybe one day I'll have time to install it and have a 2nd gear synchro in my '92).

Norman 2 (or Norma, since cars should be girls) was dropped off and I was able to get her 16v purring again after draining some rank gas and doing a basic tune up.

Disassembly and cleaning/repair began. Besides a soft driver side floor and some shoddy previous body work, the shell was pretty solid. Far better than her predecessor had ever been.

After some undercoating removal, power washing and complete tear down, the build up would start, first with a cage that would be built for safety.

We the race weekend rapidly approaching, we kicked it into high gear and transplated the drivetrain from Norman.

I wanted to take advantage of the "open brakes" LeMons rule and kept the early hubs and fitted the fronts with vented rotor hubs and wilwood calipers.

Since we scored a few other sponsors, one of our team members decided it warranted a quick paint job and some nice vinyl. When I mean quick I mean 12 hours.

And back at the shop for work to continue

After many more hours of work, finally (mostly) ready to race this weekend. I hope to get the car back in mostly running order so that we can prep for Octobers race and get the car a little more developed.

RadioFlyer
Nickname: RadioFlyer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 7

Re: The New Norman

Postby RadioFlyer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Norma's hott! :thumbsup: Love the purchase price and the quick paintjob!

Cark
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Cark » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Looks awesome! Will this car be raced in Loudon at the Halloween Hooptiefest?
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Pending a safe return home, with not too much to fix, we are planning on Hooptiefest! I might actually get to drive the thing...

Last I heard people were getting in their practice laps and dialing in tires.

It must also be said that without the help of Swedesport and Gary Reider, this weekend would not have been possible. I worked my butt off these last few weeks and still managed to get it to "almost passes tech" stage. Gary and crew finished up today and Tech for A class with Zero penalty laps, which is fantastic.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Awesome news, glad it came together in time. That's a nice looking direct ignition!
Less brake more gas!

TurboBudapest
Nickname: Ed
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby TurboBudapest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Love it!

What are your experiences with the Willwood calipers? I have been thinking of these for my 9000 Aero - with the upgraded power (close to 300), would be good to have upgraded brakes. There is a seller on Ebay who has these for sale as part of a whole front brake kit for the 9000 at a reasonable price.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:57 pm

TurboBudapest wrote:Love it!

What are your experiences with the Willwood calipers? I have been thinking of these for my 9000 Aero - with the upgraded power (close to 300), would be good to have upgraded brakes. There is a seller on Ebay who has these for sale as part of a whole front brake kit for the 9000 at a reasonable price.

The ones we run on 99's and 900's run around $130 per caliper....does not include pads. I dont think you have any need ti upgrade the brakes on the aero unless you plan on truly racing the car.
I am the 73%

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:34 pm

that's an awful nice looking lemons car!
-matt

Cark
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Cark » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 am

Proof it at least made it through tech and onto the track!
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:30 am

Yeah it is out there turning laps. They shook out some fuel tank issues (leaky seals I guess) and a cracked coolant line this morning (probably from Norman's impact) , but I'm hopeful they will finish the day out and then bring her home to get sorted for October.

gmreider

Postby gmreider » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Jordan wrote:Yeah it is out there turning laps. They shook out some fuel tank issues (leaky seals I guess) and a cracked coolant line this morning (probably from Norman's impact) , but I'm hopeful they will finish the day out and then bring her home to get sorted for October.

Yes we had some little teething problems, but the car ran laps both days, was running at the checkered flag both Saturday and Sunday. The car is on the way home as I speak and not a scratch. I'll be sending you a punch list of things to address to correct some issues. :-O Thanks for the chance to drive. :yay:
Guess we might start building PA based car this fall.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 pm

I'm in, I have an ABS shell, 3 door w/o sunroof I paid $300 for about 8 years ago... "ran when parked" 2.1/MT bad trans, no rust. I have been itching to see it go..... somewhere useful?
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks for everything Gary, I'm sure those guys would have been chasing their tail even more if you were not there.. ;) I guess you got the crash course in LeMons. I hope you had fun.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:53 am

She actually finished without a scratch on her.
Attachments
2014-08-10 14.46.20.jpg
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

tirediron

Postby tirediron » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Jordan do you know what it weighs? I have a 3 door with a similar cage, but haven't weighed it yet.
-matt

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”