2010 Aero

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

2010 Aero

Postby DeLorean » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 am

Well... With an in-service date of 3.5 years ago, and an asking price 1/5 the MSRP, I bit. Just got a 2010 9-5 Aero XWD - with some issues. No damage history, clean carfax but the XWD at the moment is busted. The E-LSD rear axle seals have failed allowing the hydraulic portion of the diff to empty out into the ring & pinion side of the diff. the car sensor detects low hydraulic pressure in the E-LSD, and then shuts down the 4X4 and brings up an error message on the TV-screen cluster. So, my Saab technician friend says yep, these do this. There is an updated seal kit & software update to correct this. Project #1... Take an almost new car completely apart :lol:

Other issues? Well... it's an Aero, but luckily not a super-duper loaded aero. It has nav, rain sense wipers, and auto xenon headlights which auto highbeam and point which way you are steering the car, (This is AWESOME), but NOT the heads-up display. These options relate to what sort of windshield it has. There are supposedly 5 different windshields for US model left hand drive cars... the reason I mention this? It has a cracked windshield. "authorized Saab service" searched by VIN says that they have 2 correct ones for this car in the Allentown warehouse. $1000. Safelite claims they have one too, for $400 installed but I am entirely suspicious that they do not know what they are talking about and are going to show up with the wrong windshield. We'll see on Monday I guess.

It also needs coil packs. Misfire when cold and at the torque peak. Got all 6 on the way. It also has a very odd thing where the nav memory module has developed a short-term memory fault. Apparently this is nearly universal NG-9-5 issue. The nav unit won't remember new settings, and when you shut down the car and re-start the radio will always be on the last thing it can remember (which is always the same thing)

But hey... Otherwise it's pretty good! It's as big as a pick-up truck, gets the same gas mileage as one but it zips when you put your foot down and it handles just super. I need to see about getting a plow for it.

As my Saab technician Jeff Shore said to me "Congratulations, you just bought the most complicated Saab ever built"

Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Re: 2010 Aero

Postby SwedeSport » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:55 am

You have until January 11th to get the all wheel drive working.

It should be a hoot at the RallyX.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 am

That is the plan!
Less brake more gas!

gmreider
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby gmreider » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:49 am

Well rather you than me !! Nah, I'm only jealous. Are you going to be having a fire sale of your other fleet cars?

I have a 2010 Tech 2 card. I wonder if that car is included in the info ?

Big as a pick-up truck?? Post a picture with C 900 aside of it please.

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby burnsside42 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Tech2 does nothing on the NG9-5 you need to have a MDI to communicate with it and program things.

Yes - these IMHO are the most overly complicated Saab ever built with some of the most questionable build quality ever. As far as I am concerned - every one on the road is a prototype or test car. Each one is uniquely broken in it's own way. lol But when all working they are a blast to drive.

I have ordered all the parts Jeff - so hopefully they will come in Friday. Then I can either talk you through the repair or just do it for you lol. First step - remove the rear differential.
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:47 pm

burnsside42 wrote: As far as I am concerned - every one on the road is a prototype or test car. Each one is uniquely broken in it's own way. lol But when all working they are a blast to drive.

Haha, sounds a lot like another "pre-production" car I have. Difference between my DeLorean and the 9-5? They made more DeLoreans than they did 9-5's, and my DeLorean is later in the production run than this 9-5 is.... and, there is much better parts availability for the DeLorean than the Saab. haha..... :-O

Also, another interesting tid-bit? This car was some sort of either a test car, a loaner car, or a magazine car. At first reg and the in-service date (when it was already a year old) it had 2300 miles on it.
Less brake more gas!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Neat. I like the look of those. Weird that it didn't get the seal update kit earlier, that came out within like a year of them being released and was supposed to be a covered recall I thought.

There is a guy out here who rallycrosses his TurboX sometimes, it's pretty fun to watch.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”