Thoughts on 944 intercooler?

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Thoughts on 944 intercooler?

Postby Chouan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:21 pm

I have my eye on using Porsche 944 intercooler on my 99 hot rod. I've made a mock up and I think it will work well right behind the 99 turbo air dam.

Thoughts on this unit?
My concern is that it will cause lag, but I'm no expert.

The inlet/outlet diameters are 2 3/8".
My turbo is a gt28rs.
Attachments
image.jpg

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Thoughts on 944 intercooler?

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I don't know anything about 944 intercoolers but I always thought one of these would be cool in an 99 engine bay

Pretty cheap but I don't know about quality
https://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/?osCsid=5edd1470a7888d9e159c83dd53f23fe3
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:15 pm

I have an account now with these guys. They have lots of good quality universal stuff, so if you need something let me know and I'll add it to the next order

http://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/engine-_ ... index.html I can get you exact pricing, but for the most part it is the same as the price on their site without paying shipping.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Some of that do88 stuff is pretty cool. Do you know how long those orders take to come in?
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Chouan

Postby Chouan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Anyone know of a reason not to use the 944 unit? It would package very well.

I was digging around the web and forums this article with an evaluation of various stock intercoolers.

http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/ma ... primer.php
Attachments
image.jpg
Intercooler comparison, hopefully this is legible.

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Chouan wrote:It would package very well.

5" thick seems awfully thick to me, have you done any mock up? Not saying it can't be done, but I've always heard there is less room in a 99 and my 900 seemed to struggle to fit 3", I can't imagine fitting 5" without seriously hacking up the radiator support. IMO why reinvent the wheel and fit an IC from a pretty specific car when there are tons of aftermarket alternatives out there. And I would also wager that you would want to find something taller than thicker, but I'll let the engineers on here comment on that.

All that being said, if you can get a 944 unit on the cheap no reason not to test it out and see if you can get it to fit. I'm sure there are plenty of Porsche people upgrading and selling their stock units.

Chouan

Postby Chouan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Yes, as I said, I made a mock up. It would fit well behind the 99 turbo air dam. The "hull" area on my car needs to be re constructed due to rust issues. I plan on boxing it off, not recreating the slope.

The 99 does have limited space that is why I would like to put te IC lower, below the radiator, not in front of it (no space).

You are right they are pretty cheap. I guess it's worth just buying one and trying it.
Attachments
image.jpg
The rusty "hull". Before.
image.jpg
Beginnings of the boxed "hull".

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:53 pm

DrewP wrote:Some of that do88 stuff is pretty cool. Do you know how long those orders take to come in?

Take about 2 weeks and we order every week.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:32 pm

Geoff wrote:I don't know anything about 944 intercoolers but I always thought one of these would be cool in an 99 engine bay

Pretty cheap but I don't know about quality
https://www.frozenboost.com/air_water-ic/?osCsid=5edd1470a7888d9e159c83dd53f23fe3

I think any benefit from cooling would be lost due to the poor airflow on that design.
I am the 73%

Adrian Thompson

Postby Adrian Thompson » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:43 am

What about these cheap e-bay specials. $60 for 27" x 5.5" x 2.5" including free shipping.

Or the classic Volvo units like this that seem to go for around $50 on e-bay
Project Loki - 88 900C - future TSD, Rallycross and track day toy

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:46 am

Has anyone done a study to see what the temperature before the intercooler is and after the intercooler? Perhaps a data log session on the track from engine cold start up to shut down after a lapping session? It would be interesting to see how effective any of these intercoolers are. And as with anything which offers the least impact the airflow with the best gain in cooling.
I am the 73%

86spig
Nickname: Fish
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby 86spig » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Though not a 99, Damien Schulock shoe horned one into the radiator support of his 86 SPG years ago. The car was a dual purpose daily driver and weekend track car (so no AC). If I remember correctly the 944 intercooler sat above the radiator and he used a short radiator (either a modified Saab unit, or had one fabricated) that was in the stock radiator location. It was a pretty smart set up because the intercooler was high enough that it got great airflow through the grill and the outlets were essentially at the same elevation as the intake manifold, so he got away with short pipe runs with minimal twists/turns or elevation changes. This was about 10-15 years ago and I'm sure some information still exists on S-net.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK

Postby DrewP » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 pm

I don't have temp sensors on mine, but at the last track day I took my C900 to it warmed up to probably 60*F and coming in hot off the track the cold side tube was cold / cool to the touch, the hot side would burn your hand.

I have an eBay FMIC in there, with A/C condenser removed. The core on mine is something like 20" x 10" x 2.5".
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:04 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Has anyone done a study to see what the temperature before the intercooler is and after the intercooler? Perhaps a data log session on the track from engine cold start up to shut down after a lapping session? It would be interesting to see how effective any of these intercoolers are. And as with anything which offers the least impact the airflow with the best gain in cooling.

I have been meaning to add an thermal couple (thermistor) prior to the intercooler. Data feeding right to the datalogger on the ecu.
The closest I have done for data collection was with and without water meth injection post the intercooler. Back to back Dyno pulls. And to be worst case we added the water injection to the later run. The evaporative cooling is pretty impressive. An Excel overlay may be in order?

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 pm

86spig wrote:Though not a 99, Damien Schulock shoe horned one into the radiator support of his 86 SPG years ago. The car was a dual purpose daily driver and weekend track car (so no AC). If I remember correctly the 944 intercooler sat above the radiator and he used a short radiator (either a modified Saab unit, or had one fabricated) that was in the stock radiator location. It was a pretty smart set up because the intercooler was high enough that it got great airflow through the grill and the outlets were essentially at the same elevation as the intake manifold, so he got away with short pipe runs with minimal twists/turns or elevation changes. This was about 10-15 years ago and I'm sure some information still exists on S-net.

I hope I'm not perpetuating internets myths.... I remember him saying that he got a 4-row radiator that he mounted below the intercooler but the car ran too hot. Not sure if he resolved that but I thought he had gone back to a stock radiator. Maybe he did a second version that worked out(?)
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”