Crash Box 4-Speed Assembly

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Crash Box 4-Speed Assembly

Postby Jordan » Sat May 30, 2015 10:38 am

I've begun to finally put one of these repro S&R gear sets together. Still scouring my parts stores for some good parts to use with it, but so far I have almost everything to put a nice box together.

Cleaned up a chillcast case and chain front cover
IMG_2945.JPG

The primary housing was machined to accept an standard industrial bearing, and it was shimmed accordingly to get the proper positioning.
IMG_2938.JPG

Input shaft with new bearing fitted
IMG_2941.JPG

Fitted to the case with retainer
IMG_2943.JPG

Next was setting up the pinion with a solid sleeve instead of the crush sleeve. Several attempts later. I got it the correct dimensions and pulled 15lbs on the pull gauge. I believe it was 0.739". I'm using an early 5-speed chill-cast pinion housing.

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

Just fitted to the case and am checking pinion depth. Looks like I'll need to remove some shims
IMG_2976.JPG

Next up correcting the pinion depth and putting in the gear stack.

By the way, does any one have a 4 speed manual they could scan or have an exploded view? I just want to make sure I don't forget any of the little plastic spacer bits that seem to be in the 4 speeds!

gmreider

Re: Crash Box 4-Speed Assembly

Postby gmreider » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Jordan , I don't think there are many plastic bits in there. There is one plastic thrust washer on the cluster gear and one brass / bronze one. other than that the only plastic piece is inside the chain drive cover that flow oil into the main shaft , sort of like in a 5 speed. I have all the 99 900 shop manuals with the 4 speed pages in them. Also there is the little tube inside the output shaft gear of the primary gear set. want to borrow the book for awhile? I can try copying some pages if you want.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Sat May 30, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks Gary. Those are the pieces I was talking about. If you could scan and/or send me some pages with toque specs and a diagram, that would be great. Not that many parts, but I sure don't want to mess it up.

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Sun May 31, 2015 11:13 am

Chouan
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Chouan » Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 am

One more
Attachments
image.jpg

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:04 am

Gary sent them to me as well, thanks guys!

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”