76 99 Hatch 2.1 NA

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

76 99 Hatch 2.1 NA

Postby 99Super » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:28 pm

With the recent acquisition of both an SPG kit and a whaletale, I decided it was time to finally start an entirely new project.

I’ve had this 76 LE hatch in my yard now for years, tried a few times to sell it, even put off finishing parting it out and cutting it up for scrap for no good reason I could figure other than it was just in the way and I wanted it gone. I didn't want a hatch. Well, a plan has gelled and a whole mess of parts I’ve been holding on to for too many years will come together in one car!

The body needs to have the last bits removed (I’ll leave the windshield in), body sanded and a few minor dents filled. I’ll have to grind out a previous damage repair and hope that there is minimal/no rust under it. I also need to weld some metal into the spare wheel well as that’s rusted through due to years of sitting outside.

Before it goes to paint, I’ll do the firewall mods, plus get all the SPG mounting rails, whaletale and SAS airdam installed (then removed) so I won’t have to drill holes in the new paint.

I have some options, as far as details go, but it will be a 2.1 NA w/ T5.5, headers, Turbo 4-speed and Euro headlights and grille.

Not sure yet if I will use 900 doors (already on the car, but only just), or a pair I have from a 99T w/ power mirrors (w/the dash harness for the mirrors).

For wheels/suspension, I can go the easy route and use 86 900T axles/brakes w/ a set of nice 6” Riken wheels that I have, OR after scrounging up a few missing pieces, I could use the 89 900 axles w/ 9000T brakes I have. I like the look of the Super Aeros, but I’m missing one wheel, the rear axle has the ABS brake line, and the 9K brakes are overkill.

I’m going to modify a set of big bore 99 headers I have on the Pumpkin to fit the 2.1. Dennis gave me a set of flanges left over from his project that I’ll use for this.

I’ll use a pair of black MR2 seats I have and likely do the interior in gray. Not sure of the body color yet. Deb likes red, but I’m not sure red would look all that good on this car. I’m leaning more towards green with gray panels.

I ordered 2 SAS airdams today, and I still need front shocks and springs, plus an eEuro flywheel, but I think I have most everything else.

Thoughts?

John

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: 76 99 Hatch 2.1 NA

Postby squaab99t » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:48 pm

Sounds like a great new project. Sounds to me like you are going to make it a driver that is fairly comfortable but fun to whip around. Take it to some car events and be a point of discussion. Needs some side draft intakes for cool factor.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 am

You are exactly right! This car is for Deb and the thought of her in a red car w/ a Turbo scares me a little.
My buddy Bryce and I were just discussing ITBs from a GSX-R or similar. Not sure if I can get them to work w/ T5 or not, but you are right, whether injected or carbed, side drafts would give it the "special something".

John

Scott
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:36 am

I'm curious how you approach the firewall issue, bash it with a hammer or sculpt something to work. It seems like at this point we should have a consistent way to neatly make the (more) modern engines fit in the 99s.
I wish my car had winter mood technology.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Scott wrote:I'm curious how you approach the firewall issue, bash it with a hammer or sculpt something to work. It seems like at this point we should have a consistent way to neatly make the (more) modern engines fit in the 99s.

Scott,
Both!
Several years ago I had a local HVAC shop make me a batch of inserts that roughly duplicate the water pump relief seen on the H motored 99s and 90s. 10 cost me the same as 1. I cut out a small section of the upper edge of the firewall and weld or rivet in the insert and coat the seam with gap filler. Very clean.
For the crank pulley area, I usually trim the pulley to a single belt and push that area of the firewall back an inch or so. I used to use a hydraulic jack and a 2x4 braced against the nose of the car, but now I just push it back with a soft-faced dead blow hammer or large rubber mallet.
I'll be sure to document what I do...

John

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”