'90 900 Project

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
ajagodnik
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

'90 900 Project

Postby ajagodnik » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:24 pm

I found this 900 base model auto local-ish to me for cheap. I was initially thinking it would make a decent winter car. It was completely filthy, inside, outside, and underneath. Odometer was dead at 251k. Baseline pictures:
_DSC0479.JPG

_DSC0477.JPG

Glorious blue interior. I wish the velour wasn't so faded. The headliner is almost perfect, must have been done recently.
_DSC0481.JPG

Filthy engine compartment. Looks like something got very hot around the alternator/oil filter area at some point.
_dsc0487_15608820327_o.jpg

One of the highlights is the bungee wrapped around the distributor that is holding up the guard around the flex plate. Also, the recirc door is jerry-rigged closed for some reason.
_dsc0488_15792108021_o.jpg

The head has supposedly been off recently, and it looked far cleaner than everything else in there. The timing chain sounded pretty quiet as well.
It was billed as a TX car, which seems reasonable given the 2000 TX inspection sticker on the windshield. There's also a sticker from a TX AC shop converting it to R134 in 08. No AC belt, but the system is complete.

So there's the baseline. After getting it home, I realized that it was in fact about 97% rust free and should not be subjected to the evil brine that they dump on roads these days. I also happened upon an old CIvic that a co-worker was selling which made a much better sacrificial anode (borrowed that from somebody else's thread; I love it).

Most likely, unless I fall into a bunch of money, this won't end up being a high end build. My short term goal is to get it converted to a 5 speed so it's at least driveable. The current slushbox dumped out several quarts of ATF over the winter, has long delays before banging into D or R, and was suspect when I bought it. To that end, I'm working on a couple possibilities for donor parts or a parts car.

ajagodnik
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Re: '90 900 Project

Postby ajagodnik » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Fast forward a few months. The car sat all winter due to the ridiculous cold we had. In May I started to do a few things, mainly starting to clean up the sludge in the engine bay. I put in a new washer pump, replaced a few wires melted by the aforementioned thermal event, and spliced in new headlight plugs.
I also ended up removing and rebuilding the headlight buckets. 5 of the 6 plastic balljoints were broken when I got the car. I broke a few more of the Eeuro ones before I figured out they were a slightly different shape. I ended up filing off a bit of material on the mount bosses on the reflector so the Eeuro balljoints would seat correctly. Dark picture, but the left side has been filed, right is not modded yet. Hopefully this tidbit will be helpful for somebody!
headlight-mounts_16644497914_o.jpg

I ended up having to combine headlight bucket hardware from old 9000 parts, and buy a used light off ebay. The steel pieces from this car were perfect, but I had to soak the other parts in an oxalic acid bath to de-rust them enough to get apart and reuse.
Lots of use of chemicals, elbow grease and child labor to clean things up. I discovered that something exciting happened in the engine bay at some point. Can't find the picture, but I found a few 1" long pieces of shrapnel in the grease and muck :-O .
Current status after about 5 cans each of degreaser and Honda spray polish:
17267978682_51dcbb7ca9_z.jpg
17267978682_51dcbb7ca9_z.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 2821 times

0620151914_18814378068_o.jpg

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”