'76 99GL Wagonback

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
jessesayre
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

'76 99GL Wagonback

Postby jessesayre » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:40 pm

So I've got a project car and I'm not quite 100% sure I know what I want to do with it. Plus I'm not sure what work I'll be able to complete myself or what I'll have to hire out. But I trust the internet (because the internet has never failed me) and wanted to see what you all thought before I order any more parts for this lady.

IMG_6315.JPG

While the paint is okay in areas, I think I might just have her re-painted. And as much as my brother disagrees with me, I think that Topaz Yellow has got to stay. Or maybe Spring Green or Caroline Blue, but definitely an original color from the '76MY.

And because the headliner needs replaced, I'm in search for a decent upholstery shop in central PA to give a clean update to all the material.

IMG_6430.JPG
Engine bay

But I don't know what I want done with the engine. It was running until something fouled up the distributor and my efforts at fixing it have proven unsuccessful. But I'm not sure I want to keep that B engine. I'm thinking dropping in a 16v Turbo with a 5 speed would be more fun. Perhaps even going so far as doing a T5 conversion, if that was even possible. But I've seen some mention of firewall issues and I'm not sure what has been successful in the past.

IMG_6305.JPG
Rusty hole

Finally, she needs some rust fixing. Ugh rust. Why must these fine ladies rust, oh that's right PENNDOT and their overzealous use of road salt. I'm thinking this is the worst of it. Ate through to the wheel from the spare. Rest of what I've seen has been little surface spots. Will have to employee the services of a body shop for this fix.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: '76 99GL Wagonback

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:18 am

Saabs hide rust like it was their profession. The more you get into the car the more you are likely to find. Decide up front if this is going to be a toy for fun or you want to do a full on restoration. If it s a toy then fix what you have to and don't get drawn in by all the rest. These get expensive in a hurry.
I am the 73%

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:35 pm

I like that color a lot!
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

hutch

Postby hutch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I look forward to watching this thread, I was going to check that car out right as you bought it so I'm glad it went to a good home!

I too think you should keep the color, such a cool 70's color that fits the car incredibly well. Personally I'd probably in the stock engine/transmission and just enjoy driving it but of course the lure of a B202T is mighty tempting...

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Looks like a good solid car! We have a 76 sedan in Topaz Yellow and love the color.
We also have a 76 hatch that is becoming a project. Rust in the same area, but that's the only rust. It will be a 16V NA T5.

A simple rebuild of the stock engine will get you another 100K with no other mods. Stock on these cars is still super fun, especially w/ a 900 rear axle and swaybar.
Most project cars (ime) get driven less as more mods are made...

John

Chouan

Postby Chouan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm

+1 on keeping the color, it's great! Maybe you can get away with a blend job.

That's a pretty classic rust spot. Also on the other side, under the gas filler, by the drain in the floor. There is a cover in front of the middle back seat, covering the floor hump. Years of rubbing on the floor causes rust there. If the rockers are solid on the outside a quick spray in the rubber plugs will help them from rusting from the inside out.

Replacing the blackened chrome lock strip and wheel arches will really freshen up the exterior.

Congrats, it looks like a good one.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:00 pm

If it's the original paint, you'd be surprised what a good buff job will do, plus patina is in these days, and repaints are pretty much never as good as the original paint quality-wise. The b motors get a bad rap, but really aren't all that bad, and with a header and maybe a cam, they're pretty peppy as long as you keep the car light. 16v swaps are not for the faint of heart, there are a lot of little details that build up to make it a challenge, firewall mod, alternator location, motor mounts, they're all more difficult to sort out than you think they are. As for the rust, well, it's a 99, they pretty much rust. Honestly, yours doesn't look that bad...this is a rusty 99:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Paul

acejed
Nickname: acejed

Postby acejed » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Where is that rusty 99 and why is there a Viggen and a 96 in the background? i love it

Jon1
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Jon1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 am

acejed wrote:Where is that rusty 99 and why is there a Viggen and a 96 in the background? i love it

Trollhattan, Sweden at the Festival. It was also there in 2007 when I went. I think it shows up each year.

Jon
jon1
with many classic 900 turbos

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 am

It was there this year as well, in 2015. If you thought it was bad on 07, you should see it now.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”