This place is a mess... working on the 88spg

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
snipes

This place is a mess... working on the 88spg

Postby snipes » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:24 pm

I am having to replace the -8AN oil return with a -10 line. The -8 was fine with a ball bearing turbo but the journal bearing turbo uses a lot more oil. I think this will be the forth time I have changed the oil return setup on this car. My welding skills are super rusty...
Attachments
IMG_20151215_235802.jpg
IMG_20151215_235056.jpg
IMG_20151215_235039.jpg

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: This place is a mess... working on the 88spg

Postby Geoff » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Its too bad about that sweet red Porsche in the background.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:26 pm

What is with the nut and bolt perpendicular to the hardline? Too late now but for future ref try to use non plated fittings or precook the galvanize off. I see the white death forming in the heat affect zone. Do not breath that stuff. A fan is of not much help since it blows away the shielding gas. A good low profile respirator is a good option.

snipes

Postby snipes » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:46 pm

I put the nut on so I can bolt it to the bracket. I just thought that it may be easier to install in the block with out the bracket in the way. Hopefully it does not need to come off, but trying to reuse the o-ring is a PAIN.

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:26 am

snipes wrote:I put the nut on so I can bolt it to the bracket. I just thought that it may be easier to install in the block with out the bracket in the way. Hopefully it does not need to come off, but trying to reuse the o-ring is a PAIN.

Designing and fabricating is not easy when you do it right
The O ring is the right way to go. The bore in the block, tube OD and O ring are all sized to create a leak proof seal. Way better than National Pipe Thread. The O ring also allows you to clock the fitting where you want it. NPT it kinda stop where it feels like it and it deals you the angle of the fitting.
Getting the tube to live in the bore is not easy. I built mine with an angle bracket to grab the fasteners common to the gearbox and block.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”