Krizzie's white 900 Aero

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Krizzie
Nickname: Kris
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Krizzie's white 900 Aero

Postby Krizzie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Usually a project starts with the purchase of a car, but since I already did that 6 years ago and the project started back then, this is more of a summoning up of what already has been done. :P

How I bought "Brulletje" back in 2009: (I guess "Loud mouth" is the nearest translation for it :P )

Stock LPT model with cat. and electric pack (windows, mirrors, central locks) originally from Italy and without the skirtset. The previous owner installed that and removed the buffalo leather (for his other 900) to grey cloth.

And how it's now:

Here comes a "small" list of mods that have been done over the years. :crazy:

Exterior:
Clear corner lenses and smoked side markers
Mini H1 Xenon Projectors (6000k) (http://www.retrofitlab.com)
Qree LED reverse lights (front and rear) (Ebay)
LED parking lights (Ebay)
LED license plate lights (Ebay)
Matte black Ventcovers

-Still need to be installed after a respray of the rear hatch-
Refurbished whaletail
Louvres (Anyone know a Steel/alu one for sale including mounting? I like those more than the plastic one I have now :P )

Interior:
Full 9000 Aero interior Rocky Black with folding front and rear seats (more info and pictures here: click)
Manual heated seats
Leather Armrest (Aftermarket)
900 Ruby/GT leather doorpanels with Zegna doorcards
Original leather gaiter and shiftknob
Kurbads Shortshifter (pic)
VDO/Innovate gauges (Turbo, Volt, Oil Temp, Oil Pres, AFR)
LED instrument lights (Ebay)
non saggy headliner!!! o_O
MY92+ facia and glovebox
MY92+ instrument cluster with pressure gauge
Saab Momo steeringwheel

Handling and brakes:
Abbott Racing springs (16" version)
Bilstein B6 shocks
Black powerflex on swaybars and steeringrack
Unassisted steeringrack
9Sport panhard rod
New bushings everywhere else
9000 front Calipers
9000 OEM Brembo disks front
Ferodo DS2500 pads
Goodridge brake hoses
ATE disks rear
ATE pads rear
Toyo T1R 205/50R16 tires on Two tone 9000 Deepdish/Super Aero rims (Silver Deepdish for the winter)

Under the hood:
Newly made custom Trionic 5.5 harnas (ECU on stock location)
T7 APC valve
Refurbished Mitsubishi TE05 turbo
9-3og Forge wastegate actuator and custom mounting plate
Custom Open air intake on the side
3" Stainless downpipe with racecat. and Abbott Racing catback with a Simmons twinpipe welded on
Custom 900 classic frontmount Intercooler (pic)
Custom Intercooler piping (pic pic)
Kurbads Steel diff cover (pic)
Kurbads Aluminum Skidplate (pic)
Black Do88 Silicone coolant hoses (http://www.do88.se)
Black custom made silicone Throttle body hoses (Shop to buy them pic)
Type 8 primaries
Doing 216whp and 338wnm (Video of the run https://youtu.be/R06_8C8__-0 and the graph, with T5.5 and my last run I did there with the stock LUCAS injection)

(near) Future plans:

Respray a rustfree hood and respray the hatch + install whaletail (pic)
Garrett GT2860RS turbo upgrade (or GTX2860RS, not sure yet input?)
Prepped block/head (93mm 9000 Wosnners for a 2.1+L turbo monster??? :silent: )
Might be looking for a body with sunroof.. :P
Body of Restoration..

Questions, comments feel free! :D
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Krizzie's white 900 Aero

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:02 am

Very cool, thanks for posting!

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:40 am

Today I will bring my 900 to the paintshop to get a new hood sprayed white (old one was very crusty and the new one is Red... ) and have the hatch resprayed cause it was badly resprayed before.

Removed the stock spoiler and fortunately found no crusty surprises under it!

After the respray the stock spoiler makes place for a whaletail which I had lying around for over 3 years now..

Of course I had to test fit it. ;)

The 2 holes that the whale tail doesn't use will be welded before it get's resprayed.
My ride: MY91 Saab 900 Aero T5.5 Converted, 9000 Aero interior, Xenon projectors and many more mods/upgrades

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 am

Small update

A freshly painted hood, no more broccoli on the sides!

And the hatch resprayed with the Whaletail installed!

Also installed new gas struts to the hatch, the old ones couldn't hold the whaletail.. :lol:

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby hutch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:07 am

Krizzie wrote:Also installed new gas struts to the hatch, the old ones couldn't hold the whaletail.. :lol:
Its crazy how much weight they add, you don't really feel it carrying one around but it pretty much needs brand new shocks or the hatch won't stay open. I take mine off over winter so the rubber foam doesn't freeze and crack and I'm also amazed at how quickly it flies up with no spoiler on there :lol:

Oh and the car looks great, nothing like fresh paint!

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm

The rubber has been stripped of the metal strip inside and is glued on. So water can't do anything except lay on it.

And new paint feels good indeed, the downside is I want more parts repainted now.. :lol:

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:04 am

New upgrades comming in!

-Fully refurbished powersteering (black powerflex bushings for the rack and pump mount)
-Solid front motor mount
-Sasab rear spring spacers
-Fuel pump o-ring

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 am

Krizzie wrote:New upgrades comming in!

Giving her a little love. Should drive like new.
The hood looks great. Did you add the insulation back or replace with something new?

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks! :thumbsup:

For now the stock insulation is used. Saab changed the mounting places over the years so it's duct-taped here and there.. (91 insulation on a 87 hood)

I like it that you can easily remove the insulation, so I'm looking for something new that also has that option. Things like dynamat are an option too, but hard to remove..

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:37 am

Yes, a bit of a catch 22, easy removable, but stays in place.
I'm looking for something also, as mine is looking a bit ratty after 28 years, and the electrical fire did not do it any favors.
Since the header and turbo install, I don't think anyone has mentioned the fried insulation? Thier attention is drawn elsewhere.
P1130662.JPG

In process with some augmentation of the OEM. Metal heat shield/ lava mat over the header and turbo area.

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:18 am

Krizzie wrote:New upgrades comming in!

Took a while but everything is in!

Fully refurbished power steering feels amazing, so direct! It has been aligned, but quite poorly, so things will get even better ones that has been done.

The solid front engine mount is simply godlike for shifting gears and throttle response! It does make it a bit droney inside sometimes, but at cruising speeds there's no difference luckily.

Me is happy! :yay:

Next project will probably be this:

Still not sure on what internals to use though..

Wossner B205 pistons are pretty cheap and raise the compression ratio a little compared to stock B202 pistons, which is nice for driveability and mpg's, but I'm not sure if they will bolt up to B202 rods. Wossners specs them for 900/9-3/9-5 which makes me think they are also the replacement for B204 pistons, which I know will fit..

Anyway I have to refill my bankacount first.. :silent:

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:30 am

Went on the Dyno yesterday and lost a Crankshaft or Rod bearing.. :bawl:

So my rebuild engine project is starting a lot sooner than expected.. Only now I have to make some choices in new parts cause I wasn't planning on turning over my savings account for a new engine.. :rolleyes:

I guess putting in new bearings, rings and distribution in the donor engine is the smartest way to go for now..

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Krizzie,
That sucks! :bawl:

I'd say, rebuild either engine. If the crank isn't damaged with your old engine, thrown in new bearings and maybe rings and be done with it.
The B202 can build huge power without resorting to expensive modifications. More power than the trans can take, in fact. The bottom end is hugely strong, why did your bearing fail?

If were me, I'd start w/ the new engine, tear down, hone and 'O' ring the block, new rings, original pistons (if in good shape) new timing chain and rails (distribution?), gaskets and declare victory. You really don't need to spent a lot of money.

Frank's engine is much the same but I happened to have a set of NOS 91mm Mahle pistons handy, but that's the only difference. I'm very, very happy with the results.

John

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:22 am

I don't know what caused the failure.. Oil level was on point and the temperature when it went on the dyno never went above 95c. The first pull was 195whp (I did 217whp with the same setup 2 years ago) and the second pull was 175whp.. Torque was the same at all times 340wnm, but I guess that's more turbo related. (which was also the same 2 years ago)

So I guess something was starting to go wrong before that and the dyno pulls just made it snap. In that case it would've happened sooner or later anyway. It's not that I never go above 3000rpm when driving it and now it suddenly has to go above 6000rpm. When it's on temperature it get's revved! :eyebrows:

The car should be delivered to my garage today, so they can inspect it and see what has to be done to get it running again..

I think that rebuilding my donor engine is the best choice too, although I'm not sure in what state it is.. (200.000km LPT engine, but not sure how long it has been standing still..) I didn't really care at that time cause I was planning on going full rebuild and oversized pistons etc..

Krizzie

Postby Krizzie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:28 pm

A company here that scraps Saabs and Volvo's also offers some refurbished and new parts. They also offer rebuilt engines for the 900 classic, so I decided that that is a better option to go for than taking a chance on the used engine I have here.

They use new bearings, stock rods and oversized race pistons from Ross. Haven't heard from them before but if I can believe their website, they know what they are doing. :)

I very anxious to drive my 900 again! :D

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”