C900 Vented Hub Adapters

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

C900 Vented Hub Adapters

Postby Jordan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:05 pm

I came up with these spacer adapters that convert a non-vented hub to have the vented hub spacing due to constantly looking for elusive vented hubs for use with wilwood calipers.

Figured they may be some interested parties here :P

http://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/6035/cla ... -adapters/

hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: C900 Vented Hub Adapters

Postby hutch » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Wow very cool, I love the parts you guys are coming up with to keep these old cars on the road! :yay:

vintagesaabs
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby vintagesaabs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:27 pm

Jordan, Excuse my confusion, but -
The actual difference between a vented and a non-vented hub is the position of the
backing plate and caliper mounts relative to the rotor mounting face ?
Thus the caliper mounting is actually closer to centerline of the car ?
This spacer adapter moves the wheel hub surface out to match the rotor position of the OE assembly ?
Does this also increase the track width of the front suspension ?
With good bearings would it only take installing the spacers ?
Do these hubs have longer studs ? How did you achieve this ?
Are these the larger studs that you drilled for ?
I have just worked up a set of 16x7 Panasport wheels that fit nicely, but I need longer studs to feel secure.
Did you come up with a workable parking brake to use with the Wilwood calipers ?
Which Wilwood caliper are you using ?
I've been running the stock vented set up for years on my modified '76 EMS, but finding good brake pads is
becoming a problem.
Thanks, Bob

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:02 am

vintagesaabs wrote:Jordan, Excuse my confusion, but -
The actual difference between a vented and a non-vented hub is the position of the
This spacer adapter moves the wheel hub surface out to match the rotor position of the OE assembly ?
No. The spacer goes on the bearing surface and pushes the whole flange outwards. The relationship between the wheel stud and flange does not change

I have just worked up a set of 16x7 Panasport wheels that fit nicely, but I need longer studs to feel secure.
Did you come up with a workable parking brake to use with the Wilwood calipers ?
There is a mechanical parking brake that can be set up for the rear wilwood calipers or a hydraulic brake can be setup
I've been running the stock vented set up for years on my modified '76 EMS, but finding good brake pads is
becoming a problem.
Thanks, Bob

The only different piece between a vented hub and a non vented hub is the wheel flange. The uprights are identical and the calipers mount in the exact same place. So the spacer moves the non vented wheel flange to match the position of the vented wheel flange. I cannot comment on bearing loading

I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 am

You mean I have been stock piling original vented hub sets to fund my retirement some day and now this. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:45 am

vintagesaabs wrote:Jordan, Excuse my confusion, but -
becoming a problem.
Thanks, Bob

- Pretty much what Seth said about the hub being the different part
- track width is increased

- The long studs are ARP studs I just pressed in for the race car and are irrelevant in terms of using the adapter kit, they just happened to be the ones I was demonstrating on. To install the stud kit I chased out the holes with a standard drill size and pressed them in. They are probably a little long for street use and they came in a pack of 5..so maybe you can find a better option, but the fit is really nice. (http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/84893/W ... 5-1007722/)

- Race car , so no parking brake, we are using the Narrow Mount DynaPro caliper with a .81 rotor width. Piston size is dependent on other components.

- The EBC redstuff pads are an aggressive street pad that come in the correct thickness for the vented rotors (http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/60057/D ... t-DP3291C/). The Jurid pads also seem to fit fine last time I checked, which is a quality OE manufacturer.

99Super

Postby 99Super » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:26 pm

Thanks Jordan!
Though I have to admit, I feel a bit like Luke now :lol:

If good pads for the vented rotors becomes a problem, the standard solid rotor pads can be ground down to the correct thickness.

John

vintagesaabs

Postby vintagesaabs » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Jordan/Seth, Thank you !
Like Luke I've been stashing away '86-7 hub assemblies for the future - when I could have just pulled the 'axle flange'- hub
and saved a lot of space and effort.
The Eeu - EBC Redstuff pads - are these the ones that require drilling out the 'pin' holes to fit the Saab 'U' pins ?
Any experience to compare them to the AXXIS Metalmasters ? I've still got one set of these on the shelf.
My max use has been 20 min. track day sessions where the metalmasters worked very well.
?? Feasible to fabricate a mounting for a mechanical Wilwood parking brake on the front using the existing cables ?
Is the process to 'open' the stud holes in the hub an exacting one that requires a machinist ?
Kudos to you guys for sharing your developments with the rest of us.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:28 pm

vintagesaabs wrote:Jordan/Seth, Thank you !
Like Luke I've been stashing away '86-7 hub assemblies for the future - when I could have just pulled the 'axle flange'- hub
The Eeu - EBC Redstuff pads - are these the ones that require drilling out the 'pin' holes to fit the Saab 'U' pins ?
Any experience to compare them to the AXXIS Metalmasters ? I've still got one set of these on the shelf.
My max use has been 20 min. track day sessions where the metalmasters worked very well.
?? Feasible to fabricate a mounting for a mechanical Wilwood parking brake on the front using the existing cables ?
Is the process to 'open' the stud holes in the hub an exacting one that requires a machinist ?

I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:45 pm

vintagesaabs wrote:Jordan/Seth, Thank you !

EBC reds may require some opening up. I told them about the issue, I don't know if there is a cross compability thing where the smaller holes fit another application, but I was hoping they would either correct their listing or create another SAAB version with the right size.

I have a package of PBR MetalMasters on my desk here, but never have installed them. I used to like the PBR deluxe for road cars, they were nice and quiet. Probably full of asbestos ;)

I have an article I was going to put together I documented when I did the stud change over. I just used a drill press, it was not that precise and you can drill out to final dimension in one pass.Because the hole size is very close to the drill size, the bit gets very grabby, so you want something to hold it securely, but it was very easy and took just a couple minutes each hub. I didn't even use a press to install the new studs.I used a couple of washers lubed up on a lugnut to just pull them in with an impact gun.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:52 pm

I have a set of Axxis ULT's on my street car, I bought them maybe 3 or so years ago, and now that I look I don't see part number for them on the web - They seem really nice for spirited street drives.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”