Engine Rebuild Stand

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Engine Rebuild Stand

Postby squaab99t » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:05 pm

This engine stand is a pretty rocking design. Great to see some of the race car prep spilling over to fabricated tools. The gussets, capped tube ends, bearings in double shear, and some quality TIG welding. Well done.
May have to try my hand at one? I do want to swap the head and build the intake manifold, and swap the gearbox.
A suggestion on the crank, one year at SEMA I spied a Corvette engine on a stand. They had attached a 90* cordless drill motor to the shaft. Couple wings flanking the handle/battery area to keep in place. Also on the shaft inbd of the drill was a ~6" disk, 3/8" thick, with a rubber Oring on the outer edge. You could dial it in right were you needed it.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks! After a couple years of thinking about it from time to time it was nice to put something together and have it turn out as imagined. If you end up making or buying one, I can't recommend the worm drive set up enough. The ease of adjustment and infinite range are great and a huge step up from working with an engine on the floor or set up on a bench top.

I considered adding way more features and electric and hydraulic (adjustable height) assisted adjustment, but ultimately decided to keep it more on the simple side. If I was in a more production type setting the electric assist would probably be great.

With the extra time to spend in the shop, we knocked out a couple more shop projects as well. The first is a rolling rack for tubing storage. And I finished up a bench that I had previously cut all the tubing for but never assembled.

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 am

Slowing down on the shop projects a bit, but after tearing down the engine I made up an attachment for the 16v cylinder head. Was definitely helpful for removing the valves.

Next up is a gearbox mount, and I ordered some more blue paint to get things finished off.

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”