building saab900 for trackdays

A place for long term threads surrounding a specific project or SAAB build for motorsports or restoration
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:57 am

ric wrote:OK hmm I looked at www.stockcarproducts.com and they did have the couplers there, but are they good? they where like $12 each and that is not very expensive or ? but you get what you pay for I guess.

I think that is where I bought my steering quickener and the first set of couplers that I bought. If that is where I bought them then that is where the bad couplers came from. You do get what you pay for...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 am

Don't know about the couplers, but the Woodward and the Sweet Manufacturing u-joints are both of high quality.
The spline on the quickeners is 3/4" -36 spline

formulasaab
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby formulasaab » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Luke wrote:But copper is almost twice as good a heat conductor and more resistant to corrosion than aluminum.

Precisely.
Aluminum's only real advantages are that it is cheap and light. Otherwise, copper is much better as a heat exchanger material.

http://www.cloverleaf-auto.com/Service/radtech.htm
-STEFAN
http://at-speed.com
http://photos.at-speed.com
VRG comp# 97
VSCCA comp# 57

ric
Nickname: ric
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby ric » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi ! I have had some problems with the internetthingy...
Have worked on my car as much as possible and now it´s only 8 days to the first trackday of the year and it feels like I´m only half way done with the car :)
Probably the same feeling as many others, I still have a shortage of bhp but as it is now I just want the car to work .
I have ordered a LSD from Jörgen and my plan is to buy a stand alone injection system this summer.
I will try to learn how to put pictures in here and take some from the trackday the 12 of april (Saab turbo club of Sweden www.stcs.nu).

Good luck everyone this season :)
SAAB är bäst

ric

Postby ric » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:15 pm

OK the first track day went well, even if I did not got hold of any good tyres and lack of power I managed to keep up well and did drive ludicrous much faster than some people who did run on proper tyres which is strange since I am not a super good driver :) Well they probably had more expensive cars and,hm I do not know because if you take your car out on the track maybe something could... Any way it was fun to hear an elderly man say that he was going to show the youngsters how to drive and me and my brother did over take him at least 2 times :). Not that old people can´t drive but it´s just the attitude. We have a couple of older guys in the club that drives really fast among them is a test driver from saab and he drives really smooth and fast.
I hope I get my LSD and some good tyres to the next trackday 31 of May
and I did put some pictures in "photos" under Knutstorp ring.
SAAB är bäst

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:19 am

You've got plenty of time before May 31st! Glad to hear it went well for you!

ric

Re: building saab900 for trackdays

Postby ric » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi !
I did write something good here but then the Internet thing did something so it disappeared :(
Any way my gearbox broke down on my way to the last meeting of the year .
I only had 140 km to drive and after approximately 100 km it said "no way man you can´t overtake these cars at this speed", stop...
And you all probably know how slow the time goes when you have to sit and wait for someone to come with a trailer and pick you up, ages.
The winter is secured. I had thoughts about moving the radiator to the boot and I am curious about the T5 system to control fuel and ignition.
The funny thing is that after the meeting I was supposed to pick up my LSD that ordered a long time ago.
The good thing is I was not far from home and I have not had any problems at all this summer :)
I hope you all had a good summer and I keep you posted about my winter projects.
P.S. any one want to buy my bike ? (Suzuki gsxr 1000 -03) :)

Richard
SAAB är bäst

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:19 am

ric wrote:The winter is secured.

:lol:

Were you getting one of the LSDs from Jorgen E.?

Here are some instructions from a guy in my area who did a T5 conversion on his C900 recently. It is a quick conversion, all the unnecessary items were left out and it was simply laid in temporarily to get it to work (all the wiring will be cleaned up later). I saw the car a week ago and it runs nice!
http://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33456

Another benefit of T5 is that you can use T5Suite to do all of your own tuning.

ric

Postby ric » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:56 pm

I have not decided yet , I´m looking at the one Jörgen has and a quaife lsd .
Does anyone here drive with a quaife lsd ?
As I understand they don´t have any friction plates just gears, that could be good because you don´t get any alien particles from the friction plates in to the oil...
On the other hand the friction plates are hopefully made for this application so that should not be an argument.

Jörgen said that his lsd is much smother to drive than the quaife.
And that a lsd with friction plates has a better second hand value, so ?
And quite important for me, the quaife lsd is half the price compared to Jörgens.

Would be nice to hear a opinion from someone here and it´s very good if the person have tried either of them or both .

About the t5 system(thanks for the link) I will see what happens this winter, I do have a gearbox problem to deal with.
But since I will take the engine out maybe it´s best to disassemble it and if I do that maybe I have to look at the head,change pistons,turbo, in and ex manifold and and and. Or I just do the t5 conversion.
The sad thing is that I can´t find that really big bag of money that I believe I had, so if you see any money lying around it could be mine ;)
And I´m also looking for some time, my girlfriend has horses and she want to rebuild the stable...
SAAB är bäst

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 pm

I've only driven a few cars for a short time with a Quaife LSD. From what I remember they were very smooth. They are supposed to be good for pavement (they stop working if a wheel isn't on the ground). I have driven Luke's car with Jorgen's LSD. The car has a lot of power and you could really feel the diff working.

A bunch of us here bought clutch type LSDs from Gripper http://www.racecar.co.uk/gripper/ but I think only one has been installed so far. The price was less than a Quaife.

ric

Postby ric » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:15 pm

OK thanks, how come it´s only one of you that have installed it ? And what do that person think about it ?
I did look at the gripper site and I think it looks good but I couldn't find anyone to fit my car. My girlfriends onkel lives in London so I could ask him to buy one for me if they still are available.
I have never tried a saab 900 with a LSD so I think that probably it doesnt matter which one I choose it should be an improvement anyway :)
SAAB är bäst

sonett
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby sonett » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:54 am

I have a gripper diff installed in one of my gearboxes, although i have not used it yet. I also have a quaiffe fitted in my daily driver, 99GL, it works well and is a nice compliment to a road car. I have driven other front wheel drive cars with a gripper plate diff and i know of many people that use them, but they are all in rally cars, the gripper diff is really good when used with power steering, although it can be used without.
Some time back i was discussing the gripper diff and jorgens diff with Jorgen, both diffs are very similar, the only noticeable difference between both diffs that came to light is the diameter of the clutch plates, one of the plates on Jorgens diff is of a wider diameter, not sure if it was the internal or external plate.
I am sure Tom Seal at gripper will be able to supply you with a diff, although it will probably be more expensive than the diffs in the group buy.
If the car is to be used mainly for track days my choice would be a plated diff.
'87 900i
'83 99GL
'76 EMS
'00 Evo 6 tme Red
'00 Evo 6 tme Black

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:58 pm

The Gripper website is out of date and doesn't show all the differentials that are currently available. I think they are all built when you order them, so there might be some wait time involved. He will also build them for any car even if he doesn't currently make them, he just has to work off an existing differential. That is how we got them made for the C900 :-) The only problem was we had to get some material removed so the ring gear bolts wouldn't hit the shift shaft. oops! That and the ramps inside were installed backwards and had to be re-fitted. Neither is a big problem.

saabhelp
Number of Saabs currently owned: 17

Postby saabhelp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:37 pm

We have just changed the front control arm bushing from left to right and front to back. (crossing then)This is to slow down the anti-lift on accel. and help with the anti dive. We are trying to get more forward bite out of the turns.
Ted

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:40 pm

saabhelp wrote:We have just changed the front control arm bushing from left to right and front to back. (crossing then)This is to slow down the anti-lift on accel. and help with the anti dive. We are trying to get more forward bite out of the turns.
Ted

Any results yet?

Return to “Projects and Build Threads”