Rally Gearbox Fluid?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Rally Gearbox Fluid?

Postby Rallyho » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 pm

I must be getting old...I can't remember what the heck to pour into a four-speed with an lsd to keep it all lubed up and happy.

MTL?
70wt Gear Oil
Sperm Whale Oil
?
?

I will be running a pump/cooler if it matters.

thanks.
Rallyho

happyandy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Rally Gearbox Fluid?

Postby happyandy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:45 am

321go
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby 321go » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 pm

I was given a few quarts of the MTL when I got my car. Previous owner always used that, so I will too.

Hans

Postby Hans » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

I use Redline Shockproof Light (blue) in my 4-sp. +Quaife. Shifting isn't great until warm but is fine once it's up to temp.

I have driven tens of thousands of miles with regular Redline MTL in my daily driver w/5-speed and find that the shifting quality suffers when I drive the car really hard (e.g., autocrosses with short wait times between runs, or on back roads). It just feels like I'm wearing down the synchros. If you use MTL and find the same thing, you might try thickening it up with some MT-90.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Hans,

How does the Shockproof Light shift when it's cold? How cold? I have Heavy in my 5-speed 900 box and it doesn't even get all that cold here in LA (down maybe 35*-40*F overnight this winter) and it still doesn't want to shift to 2nd the first few times in the morning till it gets some heat into it, and I've been wanting to throw some Lightweight into it at next change.

Did you experiment with less slippery stuff for the Quaife, or do you get enough lockup with the Shockproof? (I know it's not a viscous- or clutch coupled diff, but oil weight will still have a little bit of effect on lockup).

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Right. I know I have run MTL in street boxes for years. The variable here, and what I can't remember, is what mix did I use to keep both the syncros and the plate diff happy. A Quaiffe is different...no clutch plates.
Rallyho

Mezzanine
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby Mezzanine » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:33 pm

I have been running shockproof light in a fairly new four speed for quite a while, as recommended by Scanwest. It is a little more balky when cold, but no issue getting it into gear. Doesn't take much to warm up to normal either.
I have run honda mtf, redline mtl, and motor oil in addition to shockproof blue in various transmissions... I couldn't tell much difference between honda and motor oil; MTL was a small step above those two. I concur with Hans about the wear feeling when hot- the shifting was clean, but it felt like the synchros were totally dry. The shockproof blue always feels pretty good to me. I plan to stick with it.

C

Hans

Postby Hans » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Drew,

I'm in Seattle, so similar low temps as you: mid-30s to mid-40s. As Mezzanine notes, it's balky for a few shifts/couple minutes but not horrible. I have run it at sub-zero temps, too, and I don't recall it being that much worse. As noted above, the Quaife is mechanical, no friction components, so oil viscosity doesn't affect its operation.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Mike,
I remember you giving me some MTL from your service truck at Maine one year when I had a leak. I don't know if you mixed that with anything.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:09 pm

MTL is too light for rally, will turn to water like viscosity under stage temps. Try Mt-90 it works great.

Luke

Rallyho

Postby Rallyho » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:27 pm

MT90...that rings a bell. I think I had MTL, until I put the lsd in there...then maybe I switched.

anybody with clutch type lsd's finding they need any sort of additive to make the plates play nice?
Rallyho

Sean Tennis
Number of Saabs currently owned: 30

Postby Sean Tennis » Thu May 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Rallyho wrote:MT90...that rings a bell. I think I had MTL, until I put the lsd in there...then maybe I switched.

anybody with clutch type lsd's finding they need any sort of additive to make the plates play nice?

Yes put one or two bottles of whale oil in there for LSD plates ... I always run lightweight (blueish) shock proof in syncro cars and heavyweight (red) in crash box's ... for many, many years now!
IMHO,
Sean Tennis

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”