Rear suspension out...

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Rear suspension out...

Postby GRMPer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:13 pm

Just spent the afternoon removing the rear suspension from our car. I decided to make a small shelf above the lower shock mount on the rear control arms, essentially adapting the 900 arm to fit a 99 shock. The shock lower stem is completely protected and I can use the shocks I already have. I'll take pics and post on Monday.

The lower shock holes on the old control arms were completely furschnorkeled. Looks like someone pounded the shit out it at some point.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Rear suspension done with 900 rear axle..then got the stainless braided lines on front and rear...then tried to bleed the brakes, only to find out that the LF caliper's bleeder screw had been ground completely off...on purpose! WTF.

there was someone selling reman calipers pretty cheap on ebay...oh a surfing I will go...

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Depending on how much you have moved the mounting point up on the trailing arms you may want to remove the springs and fully stroke the suspension to make sure that you are not bottoming the shocks before the bump stop is fully compressed. If that is the case its a sure fire way to blow out the upper mounts on landing. Just something to check.

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:16 am

Relative to the axle, the shock mount is only "up" about a 1/2 inch.

SteveTheFolkie

Postby SteveTheFolkie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:24 am

GRMPer wrote:Rear suspension done with 900 rear axle..then got the stainless braided lines on front and rear...then tried to bleed the brakes, only to find out that the LF caliper's bleeder screw had been ground completely off...on purpose! WTF...
the bleeder screw on my RF snapped off "clean" (right at the surface) - a small "ezout" did the trick without leaving residue from drilling it out and chasing the threads in the caliper - might serve to save your LF -

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 am

GRMPer wrote:Relative to the axle, the shock mount is only "up" about a 1/2 inch.

Im sure it will be fine then, I was thinking you might have moved it a few inches or something.

Did you use the rear link arms from a 99 or a 900? They are different lengths and you must keep the 900 ones with the 900 axle for proper geometry.
I forget, did you grab some knuckles from an 81+ yet so you can use the easier to replace and cheaper front rotors? Or better yet the vented setup off a 86 or 87 turbo? Per I am so excited to see this thing coming to life!

GRMPer

Postby GRMPer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:06 am

Yea, I used the 900 arms, I welded a little shelf above the holes for 900 rear shock, then drilled a hole in it. The bottom of the rear 99 shock essentially is *just* inside the rear arm, which means it's about 3/4" above where it would have been on the 99 rear arm.

Yea, I've got some options on the front brakes, didn't get those knuckles and our salvage yard now has ZERO 900s...grrr.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”