Coil-over tower kit?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Coil-over tower kit?

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Is there any interest in a front coil-over tower kit? The towers were drawn in CAD and I just received a quote from the water cutter for $160 a kit (2 towers) This would be a U-weld-it kit containing all the plates to weld 2 towers to fit a coil over shock. A lower shock mount would need to be fabricated on the upper a-arm but that is pretty simple. I will also provide part numbers for the bilstein shocks that work well with this these. I am currently using this same setup on the rally car with excellent results. The advantages of this setup are ease of adjustability, the ability to swap springs in 5 minutes and ability to get springs in any rate. I would need a pre-order of 4 sets to have them cut.

This is what they would look like.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:10 pm

I've been thinking about doing this, but I've got some other ideas as to maybe a better way to do it. I'll need to draw it up in CAD to show you though, it won't be for a few days. It would involve less welding but would require bending.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Ok, would like to see your drawings too. Seth and I talked about that but I prefer welding to bending its much easier in my opinion.

Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Hans » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:23 pm

To accommodate wider rims, I had been working on a coilover set-up for my 900, but have since abandoned it due to Solo2 rules dictating mounting points. (I instead have a 2.5-inch spring-only set-up awaiting installation/tweaking.) Meanwhile, I still have a photo of a Sweden-based set-up for the 99 w/Ohlins shocks:

Of course, this is a road car, so a rally car's suspension long travel may necessitate something like Luke's "box" design.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:08 pm

That car looks like it would bottom the shock out at much less than stock travel.

SteveTheFolkie
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby SteveTheFolkie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:09 pm

Luke wrote:That car looks like it would bottom the shock out at much less than stock travel.
unless, of course, the shock in question was longer in travel than stock, in which case it'd be dandy .... :shock:

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:06 am

SteveTheFolkie wrote:
Luke wrote:That car looks like it would bottom the shock out at much less than stock travel.
unless, of course, the shock in question was longer in travel than stock, in which case it'd be dandy .... :shock:

If the shock had longer travel it would bottom out sooner. You would have to have the whole assembly be longer.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:39 am

Right, with shocks there's a direct coorelation between free length, compressed length and travel. So theres no free lunch. He could have used a really short shock and have similar bump travel to stock but then he would have virtually no droop travel at all and thats not good either.

allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby allessence » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:49 pm

What made you form that opinion by looking at the picture? Isn't yours setup almost the same way but you are using a box instead of trunnions?

I've been thinking of doing this to and like the idea of the exposed end assembly as this would allow for seperate Reservoirs. Or even an air suspension.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:44 pm

The setup I am using mounts the shock as far up as possible, it clears the hood by a 1/4". That setup the shock is mounted much lower.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”