Equal length header Just finished yesterday.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Equal length header Just finished yesterday.

Postby allessence » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

17 inch long primary's, 1 1/4" steel tubes, 3/8 flange at head, .5" flange at turbo.

First set of pipes ever made, Any design elements missing? Any insights? All comments welcome. Anyone with a lot of header experience out there?

Image[/img]

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:47 pm

Those are pretty sweet. I can't say I've even seen a 900T with a header on it.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:50 pm

Good to see you made it. Pics look sweet, let us know how the performance testing goes.
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:05 pm

Wow, very nicely done! Seth had drawn up some headers in solidworks a long time ago. Would be nice to do a before/after dyno test to see the difference they make. Let us know how they perform when you install them. What car are they going on?

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:32 am

allesesnce actualy contacted me a while ago based on those drawings which appear on James's site Saabworks. I referred Allesence over to here as not much information sharing occurs on Saabworks.
I am the 73%

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I wonder if it will affect the 900T exhaust note much. I always thought that it was the log manifold that gave it that special sound...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:34 pm

Well, remember that your header's runners are as long as the stock manifold or longer. The stock 16v and 8v turbo manifolds pretty much just dump into the turbo.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:41 pm

It's the unequal length of the header tubes on the old 900 that change the exhaust pulse timing, hence the sound.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

allessence

Postby allessence » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:27 pm

The sound is totally different. There is no more Burble. It's just put, put, put, put until the RPM;s come up. Then it's really kind of cool. Sound like your at the race track. Kind of miss the burble at idle though.

The car I suppose I'll start with the basics. 1991 900 SPG

Designed and fabricated: Custom front mount intercooler (double pass, direct in- direct out), = lenght tube header manifold, alum oil catch can, custom poly front engine mount. 2.5" MAF to compressor tube, cold air intake. Front grill side supports, Bottom cross member reworked for lowered Radiator, modified rad, readjusted cat back exhaust system.

ImageImage Image

Bought: Turbo XS BOV, 3.0bar fuel reg. Swedish Dynamics (polished and ported Red series Swedish Dynamics head, Alum flywheel, APC open ended boost 24-26lbs boost 93 octane, Eprom updated)

Group 9 adjust ignition diaphragm.

I can post pictures more pictures if anyone would like.

The boost reaches 22-28psi around 3000rpms. peels tires around 4000rpms in 3rd,4th or 5th in the corners or on the straights on wet roads.

allessence

Postby allessence » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Crazyswede wrote:Good to see you made it. Pics look sweet, let us know how the performance testing goes.

Thanks. You inspired me. Couldn't use the design on the SAABworks site though. Nothing lined up with the split collector I made. I thought the design was valid though and it did allow for me to buy the correct number of weld els (elbows).

I've already come up with a second generation header that wil be a little more compact and better runner angles. Maybe 15" length runners. I'll wait till I put together some of my other SAAB upgrades before I tackle the next set.

thanks again also for the direction to here. Always looking for like minded SAABers Jennifer

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:03 am

Yeah those headers on saabworks were done as a project mostly to learn the software package....called SDRC IDEAS. I had to learn how to use it in Engineering school. The actual exhaust flanges should be correct or very close, however the tubing was kind of a guess and I knew that if I were to build it exactly as it appeared on the screen that the turbo wouldnt line up and the header pipes would probably have hit the inner fender. So it wasn't perfect, but it was more of a concept. Now I use Unigraphics at work and Solid Works at home to do my design work. Let me know if you want anything drawn up. We are currently working on some goodies here on the forum.

By the way those pictures of your car look pretty crazy. There is some extensive modification there.
I am the 73%

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:06 am

More pictures are always good. :D
I am the 73%

allessence

Postby allessence » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:02 am

The header concept was very good. Really helped me out. So I take it your an engineer? In my old life I was a Blacksmith, I forged metal by hand into anything. Still do some when a job comes in.

The Body mods were more or less in the design of getting the intercooler to be a direct in out config with double pass. With genating 20+lbs of boost the Heat soak was incredible, and I wasn't happy with the straight thru shot and long tubes of what everyone else was doing with their intercoolers.

Design goals: maximum cooling, minimum resistance, minimize lag, minimize bends. I have 3 bends total.
The air entering the intake is below ambient temp even on hotter days. I have 5lbs of loss at 30lbs, So the turbo produces 35lbs and I get 30lbs. The first core does most of the cooling, the bridge between the 2 acts as a mixing chamber and the second core cools below ambient.

Knowing what I know now (R&D). I have already redesigned the whole concept and have a second generation design. One that doesn't use the side braces or the removable upper plate. uses a modifed radiator(my car uses a stock rad, makes for easy replacement if you catch a stone or hill). Offers less flow restriction and only contains one more bend. and can be used on any 900 SAAB by only removing the lower rad support drilling 2 holes for the rad grommets. and some extra intercooler supports. This spring I'll be installing a Gen2 unit into one of my driving freinds 1989 900 Turbo.

I could go on but all the R&D on my car has lead to better designs. At some point I may go for public sales. But I may also offer up some units to Rally'ers for a discount for more R&D. If time Permits mind you. My regular life calls.

I'll post more pic's later. j

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”