Rims

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
ric
Nickname: ric
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Rims

Postby ric » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Any one know anything about these rims ?
I think they would fit my car quite nice :)

Ric
Last edited by ric on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SAAB är bäst

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Rims

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:11 pm

You would have to find what the offset is...the bolt pattern will fit the 9000 pattern brakes. (88+ 900)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Ronal Turbo rims. I always thought those were really neat wheels. I've seen them in the early bolt pattern on early C900s and 99s. They look pretty aggressive but I don't know anything about their strength or how they work to cool the brakes. I think I may have seen them on some older road racing cars.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

ric

Postby ric » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:23 pm

I did find these ones for a good price so I could not resist.
And they have been on a Saab 900 before .
I also got hold of a secondhand tyres ( Yokohama advan A032R)
So I am really looking forward to the next trackday :P
But I am still a little interested in the other Ronal turbo rims because I have never seen them before and I think that they would look quite evil on my car... :dunno:
SAAB är bäst

ric

Postby ric » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi again !
Is it only Geoff who knows anything about these Ronal rims ?
What I want to know is , are they heavy, is there anything bad with them, what cars used them, and are they so cool so that I should buy them ? :)
Nothing important realy it´s just that I can hardly buy a package of milk without agony, wich one is the best ? ;)
SAAB är bäst

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:37 am

Ronal Rims tend to be a bit on the soft side...at least the older ones that were made for Saab. The Ronal 8 spokes, similar to the shelby 8 spoke, was no where near as durable. For a road car the Ronal wheels worked ok but for a rally car i don't think they would hold up very well. I know that a Shelby 8 spoke weighs about 17 lbs (7.23 kg).
I am the 73%

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:19 am

had a set of ronal turbos on my toyota AE86...they were 114.3mm....15x7 if i recall correctly. brake cooling is really really good with those wheels. they arent the lightest wheels, but i never put them on a scale. you guys know my take on unsprung weight. i did end up bending one a bit, but i was doing something awesome at the time. im fairly certain that they would not stand up to rally use. there is a pic of my old AE86 wearing these on my myspace page i believe.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:07 am

I think you should buy them because they look good on 900s! It looks like the tires in the picture are 16" not 15"? I've only ever seen those rims in 15". I don't think they were ever offered on any cars stock but they were put on a lot of European cars as aftermarket rims, at least in the US, in the 1980s. I've seen them on Volvos, SAABs, and VWs. I don't know if they're heavy or if they're strong. They are similar to Compomotive TH1 and some wheels that came on some American muscle cars in the early '80s (Firebird, Camaro) but I think the Ronal R10 Turbo is the best looking of that style of wheel!
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 am

Aside from weight and durability I too think they are a cool looking wheel and look good on C900's and 99's.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:04 pm

Personally, I have never been a fan of those wheels. I recall seeing a car in Sweden with them, but I am fairly sure that was the only time I have seen em in real life. They are a bit too close to the being a polished man-hole wheel, which I have seen & don't really like either.

If you like em though, put em on your car :P They are pretty retro looking for sure.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”