Constantly Blowing Fuel Pump Fuses

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Constantly Blowing Fuel Pump Fuses

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:55 pm

TRAILINGTHROTTLE wrote:crazyswede, i want some of that low resistance wire that will reduce the draw of the fuel pump. please send me a sample. :dunno:

Old wiring can develop corrosion, the wire can break down and develop small breaks in the strands etc. This can cause more internal resistance and thus you have a bigger voltage drop from one end to the other. All wire has a resistance across it and should be indicated in the specs for the wire. I wire a lot of my older cars with 2 gauge welding cable for the battery power and ground cables, and the cable from the starter to the alternator. This wire is massive and is made up of many fine strands. The difference is noticeable. If the fuel pump is currently wired with a harness that is 20 or 25 years old try replacing the pump power and ground wires with some good quality wire that is a gauge heavier.

Ever had a headlight connector on a 900 or 99 melt/burn up? Old wiring...corrosion...excessive resistance.

nuff said.
I am the 73%

TRAILINGTHROTTLE
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby TRAILINGTHROTTLE » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:07 pm

i was just given ya a hard time cause you said it might not need the bigger fuse....but the fuel pump alone was pulling more than the original fuse was....ah screw it...nevermind. :king:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Could be the fuel pump is old and drawing more current these days. You have to understand that I don't have enough attention span to read through these entire posts. I get the basic idea and then offer advice.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”