Strongest Gearbox Possible

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
gplsek
Nickname: gplsek
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Strongest Gearbox Possible

Postby gplsek » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:06 pm

i had a killer SAAB 99T , we used to run the 5speed box from 900Turbo and every rally we had to replace it. I found a used SAAB Motorsports 4speed dog box from a factory rally team in the UK. Spent $10K on it,best investment I made on the SAAB, the car and gearbox are at some SAAB collectors in Canada (sold it to him after I rolled it with Ben Bradley in Nevada). With the box car was like a tank un-breakable unless you crashed it.

-george
Thinking of getting another 99 , too much fun

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:00 am

gplsek wrote:i had a killer SAAB 99T , we used to run the 5speed box from 900Turbo and every rally we had to replace it. I found a used SAAB Motorsports 4speed dog box from a factory rally team in the UK. Spent $10K on it,best investment I made on the SAAB, the car and gearbox are at some SAAB collectors in Canada (sold it to him after I rolled it with Ben Bradley in Nevada). With the box car was like a tank un-breakable unless you crashed it.

-george
Thinking of getting another 99 , too much fun

Sounds like the car that Mikael (sp?) picked up for his museum up in Canada.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi George, Glad to see you here! Did you sell all your SAAB stuff to Mikael or do you have some goods left to put onto another car? Per from GRM is selling his 99 rally car....
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hudson
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby hudson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 pm

This isn't your car is it?

(the one on the left obviously ;)
Attachments
Rolled 99.jpg
Rolled 99.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 4708 times

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:24 pm

That's George's old car.

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Huh, after all this and like 20+ years of guessing this and that. I'd be game for some R&D.

I've actually lowered the HP on Rosie simply because 1-2 gear boxes a year gets old quick. I'm now on month 16 on the same gear box. MY89.

I ended up getting a 2000 Audi A4Quattro for 900.00 to snag the drivetrain stuff from Turns otu the car is in to good of shape to strip out so thinking instead of putting a Hot 400HP SAAB 2.3L into it instead.

I'd be game on a totally new box depending on pricing. Would be nice to be back in the 300+HP again.

Oh and just for shamelessness beyond pale, I just bought a factory new 5speed Quattro from AUDI for 1009.00 delivered. barffffffff :dunno:

Last complete rebuild, bearings, seals, etc cost me that for the 5 speed SAAB.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

mmoe
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby mmoe » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:31 am

If one WAS to design a new box from scratch, I'd think it would be worthwhile to accommodate a 2.3L block as well.

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 am

hudson wrote:This isn't your car is it?

(the one on the left obviously ;)

I think I need the 96 on the right
I am the 73%

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:41 am

On a somewhat related note, I finished up the rebuild on the rally cars "not strongest gearbox, but works ok" last week.

I combined the best of 3 gearboxes into one. I test drove this weekend, beautifully quiet and shifts like butter, hopefully it will be a winner.

A few pics of the process:

Parts everywhere, some good, some bad.

Case all stripped down and cleaned up:

New pinion bearings being tightened up:

This nifty jig holds the pinion:

Next the pinion bearing tightness gets set using a pull scale:

Once thats set you install in the case and check the shims for the pinion depth:

Next up the gearstack height is checked and adjusted with shims as needed:

At this point most of the tricky work is done, its just time to put everything back together the way it came apart!
And voila:

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 pm

99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:09 pm

From what I know of Swedish and then using Google translator it looks like it has a 3 chain primary, steel rear diff cover, clutch type diff, 6:31 ring and pinion (S&R), "very good condition"

It doesn't mention anything about the S&R gearset, just the R&P. From what I remember "lilla lådan" is a term used for gearboxes made from the best stock components (best case, best shift forks, etc.) and maybe some upgraded parts (diff, diff cover). I'm not sure if it refers to using the S&R gearset.

Of course that box might have the S&R gearset because the stock gearset with the 6:31 R&P the gearing would be super short.

airsweden

Postby airsweden » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:55 pm

Yeah, I think by default any box running the 6:31 final drive also has the big/non-syncro gearset. So can I borrow some dough or what?

P.S. check out all the kick ass folkrace and rallycross 99 and 900 cars for sale on that site.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

ric
Nickname: ric
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby ric » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi !
I have a crazy idea´ of maybe get a modern gearbox from example BMW or what ever is small enough that will take the power and torque that I wan´t. Then cut away as much as I need to from the old gearbox and then weld in the new one...
Of course you probably have to "line hone" ( is this the English term ?) everything after welding it.
And a few minor things as the input shaft should have the right splines or rebuild the primary gear and it would be good if the output shaft had a pinion gear on it.
I can´t see any problems :P
What do you think ? :yay:
SAAB är bäst

nkro

Postby nkro » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:50 pm

Its a fantasy price. "lilla lådan" Rally gearbox. LSD, Gearset 6.31. Strongest gear house.
Steel lsd cover. etc.

But the seller Is StigBolmqvist Motorsport AB.

Niklas

Neil_G
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Neil_G » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi ric

I have a crazy idea´ of maybe get a modern gearbox from example BMW or what ever is small enough that will take the power and torque that I wan´t. Then cut away as much as I need to from the old gearbox and then weld in the new one...
Of course you probably have to "line hone" ( is this the English term ?) everything after welding it.
And a few minor things as the input shaft should have the right splines or rebuild the primary gear and it would be good if the output shaft had a pinion gear on it.

I have always thought about doing this too. By using an old automatic gearbox the diffential is already a sealed unit so all you need to do is to 'slot' in the replacement gearbox - my preference would be a 6 speed sequential box. However I have a sneaky feeling that it may not be that easy :)

Neil

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”