blew another tranny.

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

blew another tranny.

Postby allessence » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 am

Okay, so I look in my review mirror and see a Mitsu GT300 and a VW something or other doing about 100+. I look over to Benjamin and ask do you want to play. He says heck ya.

So, next thing you know were doing 110mph to catch them which we do in a heart beat. At that point they no longer wanted to play so we strolled by at about 115mph.

Well, dropped Benjamin off at the Bradley airport and start heading home. As I shift into 4th I hear this funny little Huffing noise. Huh, this is strange. So, shift into 5th no more noise. Okay.

So, now 30 miles later I shift into 4th again going up a hill and the noise is a little louder. Now I'm like UtOHHHH. I know that sound. So, I have another 60mile to go. I use 1,2,3 and 5th gear and get home safely.

Before I go and pull engine and trans I take it for one more run up the road and 4th sounded like someone was beating a dog that couldn't bark (just an expression). So, I come home and pull the engine and trans and swap out for another 89 setup. Yes the gear box was an 89. And I was running Royal purple Max gear.

So, I'd say Royal Purple max gear is not recommended for SAAB Gear boxes. I am getting ready to order some Redline heavyweight. 5 gallons should do it. I'll post pictures once I pull it apart. But, I believe it's rebuild able unlike the 91-up boxes which just get toasted. The 89's oil had no chips in it at all and nothing on the magnetic drain plug.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: blew another tranny.

Postby squaab99t » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 am

allessence wrote:So, I'd say Royal Purple max gear is not recommended for SAAB Gear boxes. I am getting ready to order some Redline heavyweight. 5 gallons should do it. I'll post pictures once I pull it apart. But, I believe it's rebuild able unlike the 91-up boxes which just get toasted. The 89's oil had no chips in it at all and nothing on the magnetic drain plug.

Sorry to hear your news. I have been using the Redline lightweight shockproof with an oil cooler. Life has been good so far with the Scanwest rebuilt tranny 20k ago and the Quafie installed about 10k. Sean Tennis might chime in on his choose of light vs heavy weight. I remember you were working on an oil cooler. Were and have you been using it on these fun play times?

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:05 am

I dunno Jennifer, I'd think it was more the ungodly amount of torque you put through the transmission than the type of lube you used...... :dunno:

allessence

Postby allessence » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:20 am

Well the reason I say about the MaxGear is because I have had the same failure in 3 boxes. Which as you pointed out could simply be I have a really kick A@@ car. :yay:

I know this isn't the case. :bawl:

I have ran BG Syncroshift 2 for the last year and yes the gear box did grow progressively louder in 4th gear but I believe it would have survived longer.

The Maxgear seems to quite everything down but for some reason the syncro just take a beating. I'll know more when I pull the box apart.

Funny thing is most failures are 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Usually 4th and 5th are still in play unless the box has been badly overheated.
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

allessence

Postby allessence » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am

As to being all torqued out. Rosie hasn't been feeling well the last month or so. She isn't her usual torqey self. There is a fueling issue somewhere. checked all the wiring but still know luck.

As to oil cooler. Nope never did get it installed. Been involved with so many other things and with the new house there seems to be no shortage of money.

Sqaab99 What did you choose for a pump?

squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby squaab99t » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:10 pm

I used a Mocal. Looks the same as a Tilton. I have a gauge to the rear diff cover and I repurposed the A/C snowflake switch. When it get warm on comes the pump. I also have it running thru a dedicated oil filter. The guys at scanwest said it was the only thing they could do to keep the engine oil from pegging above 300*f due to the common sump wall.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 pm

squaab99t wrote:The guys at scanwest said it was the only thing they could do to keep the engine oil from pegging above 300*f due to the common sump wall.

:-O :-O :-O :-O

The hottest recorded I had seen was when Gary Moore put up numbers on Saabnet like 5 years ago, and I think he was seeing 260F-270F, gonna have to get on that for mine before I leave school and don't have access to the awesome machine shop.

Some of the race guys I have had a chance to talk to at Formula competitions and researching the Torsen diff in our car was saying once the gear oil goes above 230F-240F it's cooked good, and needs replaced and to run cooler, about 200F seems to be recommended at least for the Torsen / Quaiffe family.

I do want to see photos of your broken Bellevilles though, is there something in the bores they seat in that they catch on, shouldn't the stack be able to take fully compressing them, like coil bind in a coil spring?

:dunno:

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm

squaab99t wrote:The guys at scanwest said it was the only thing they could do to keep the engine oil from pegging above 300*f due to the common sump wall.

Perhaps that may be another contributing factor to Jennifer's engine failure...
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

allessence

Postby allessence » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:35 pm

I have an engine oil temp gauge and it never reaches above 230F ever. Even with really hard driving. I'm talking all out 3rd gear 5-6k RPM's for 5-8 miles. Usually its in the 200-225 range.

I've got and oil cooler :yay:

I also run either Mobil 1 10W30 winter, spring and fall and if I'm going to be beating the life out of it I'll run 15W50 in hot summer months. I've tried and use Royal Purple and only see a limited amount of anything power wise over Mobil 1 except the cost.

Oil temps and pressures are all right where they belong.

I have a digital thermometer I use to check trans temps and all these seem to be right in the range of engine oil.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:36 am

I figured that when I do an oil cooler set up, the lines are going into the center console. sight glass, flow rate indicator, pump motor switch, and a inline magnetic filter are all going to be mounted right there. Temp gauge too. That should keep the oil temp and quality issues at a factor of 0. At that point, it's all up to the transmission design limits...
Less brake more gas!

allessence

Postby allessence » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:47 am

I know I asked this question on another post,

Now that people are actually installing the diffs what are people using for pumps?

I am now looking at a power steering pump or engine oil scavenging pump since these are belt drive.

Also will feed a split line between front chain cover entering right above pinion shaft intake (5th gear hub) and then dumping the rest into the side cover.

Pick up will be at the rear diff cover.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”