Saab 4x108 hub/bearing questions

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
GRMPer
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Saab 4x108 hub/bearing questions

Postby GRMPer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm trying to work out a hub/bearing issue on something that uses a 4x108 pattern. What does the outer Saab 4x108 CV joint look like? How about that stub axle? What size bearing (ID in particular) does it ride in? Is it like the 99/900 where the hub is pressed into the bearing and the splined shaft goes through the middle?

thanks!

allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Saab 4x108 hub/bearing questions

Postby allessence » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:51 am

The bearing is pressed into the knuckle and held with 2 c clips. The inner hub portion is also pressed into the bearing. The bearing is an inner split race type and is held together with the CV joint and the CV nut adding the force.

I don't have any new ones in stock to measure and they are ruined taking them apart. From EEuroparts the last one I bought was like 39.50.

Sorry I don't have more info.

What project are you working on?
Okay, so I'm female and like SAAB's go figure. Mind you, I like a good set of strappy sandal's just about as much though they don't take you thru the corners as fast. LOL

Rosie: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt ... =Jennifers

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:49 am

The CV joints and axles are all the same on 900s '81 through '93 regardless of hub bolt pattern (4 x 114.3 or 4 x 108). The only differences are ABS ring on the later CV joints and the different size inner tripod for the different size inner drivers that were implemented in '85. Its the same CV joint as the parts you upgraded your rally car to.
If you want to know about the bearing I think I have a spare at home and if I remember I'll write down the bearing manufacturer's (SKF) part number.

9000s used the 4 x 108 pattern and they have a similar CV joint (may even work on 900s I think) and axle setup as 900s but the hubs attach to the spindles using four bolts. When the wheel bearing goes bad you follow the same procedure as for a 900 but you don't remove the spindle, just unbolt the hub from it and bolt a new hub on.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Geoff wrote:The CV joints and axles are all the same on 900s '81 through '93 regardless of hub bolt pattern (4 x 114.3 or 4 x 108). The only differences are ABS ring on the later CV joints and the different size inner tripod for the different size inner drivers that were implemented in '85. Its the same CV joint as the parts you upgraded your rally car to.
If you want to know about the bearing I think I have a spare at home and if I remember I'll write down the bearing manufacturer's (SKF) part number.

9000s used the 4 x 108 pattern and they have a similar CV joint (may even work on 900s I think) and axle setup as 900s but the hubs attach to the spindles using four bolts. When the wheel bearing goes bad you follow the same procedure as for a 900 but you don't remove the spindle, just unbolt the hub from it and bolt a new hub on.

What Geoff says is mostly correct. There do seem to be some different axle lengths amongst the years....but this could also be slight differences in axle brands. I have seen several different lengths between 900 models. I am also not entirely sure if the earlier and later axles can be swapped. I thought that the axle diameters for the smaller drivers was different. I know this is true between the 900 and 99 axles...not sure if it is between the early 900 and later 900 axles. Something to keep an eye on. I know at one point we were going to measure and take photos of a number of axles but I don't remember if it ever got complete.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”