900 rally lighting

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Hans
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

900 rally lighting

Postby Hans » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Looking for info on mounting lights on a 900 (early bumpers). Don't want to re-invent the wheel if there are a.) lights available that don't interfere with the hood when open, or b.) there is a commonly used mounting method that has some sort of quick-release to move them out of the way.

Thx...

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:18 pm

I currently have a set of IPF driving lights on my 900. I went to Home Depot and bot a fair of shelf brackets. I drilled holes in them to mount them to the back of the bumper and put additional holes to mount the lights. I put yet another hole in the front of the bracket so I could put an adjustable bolt in that puts pressure on the bumper and keeps the brackets from vibrating. I just open the hood easily and let it rest on the lights lightly. Cheap and easy. more then that and you will have to come up with a quick release bracket of one sort or another.
I am the 73%

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:38 am

I've built light brackets for at least 5 c900s street and TSD cars. For each one I've always attached the bracket to the back of the bumper either using the stock M6x1 bolt holes for the fog light brackets or the 8mm bolts for the bumper stops (the brackets that locate the bumper around the radiator support).
I've built ones like CrazySwede's a number of times but without the extra bolt on the end to stop vibration. Shelf brackets work well for smaller lights (like Hella 500s) but shake like crazy with real lights on them (Hella 4000) which also have to be mounted out towards the front of the bumper due to their depth. If you want easy access under the hood use something that isn't a deep as the Hella 4000s (though you can still duck under the open hood with those lights on the front). The IPF lights are pretty nice too. IMO HID driving lights aren't worth it on a street/TSD car because they take 30 seconds to 1 minute to warm up, so every time you put your high beams on you have to wait for the auxiliary lights to get bright.

My current setup is a rectangular bracket that wraps all the way around the bumper. I made it out of 2" wide steel, I think its 1/8" thick. It provides nice stability and each bracket will hold a Hella 4000, a Hella 3000, and a Hella 550 (rectangular) fog. Thats 6 auxiliary lights on the front of the car if I were to want them all. If you want to see photos I can get some.

Hans

Postby Hans » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:44 am

Thanks for the info, guys.

-Hans

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:52 pm

I made mine out of 1/2X2" stainless steel. and they attached to the front bumper support studs with the standard serrated locking nuts. The hood opening was slightly less but didn't add up to much of a difference except if someone didn't know the lights were there and tried to force the hood open.

I'm running FF1000. I will post pictures later of the bracktes. I didn't put them back on yet after the front intercooler install.

Very little if any vibration, unless the whole bumper moves.

Hans

Postby Hans » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 pm

allessence wrote:I made mine out of 1/2X2" stainless steel. and they attached to the front bumper support studs with the standard serrated locking nuts. The hood opening was slightly less but didn't add up to much of a difference except if someone didn't know the lights were there and tried to force the hood open.

I'm running FF1000. I will post pictures later of the bracktes. I didn't put them back on yet after the front intercooler install.

Very little if any vibration, unless the whole bumper moves.

Pics would be great -- thanks!

allessence
Nickname: allessence

Postby allessence » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:43 pm

Here is the light brackets. I was wrong on the thickness. 3/8"X2". Plenty strong. Bent my bending machine pins when I was making them up.

There is a slight angle to the bottom's so the light brackets are straight on the car since the bumper is angled left and right in an arc.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”