Pin Mount Jackstands for Rally Service

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Luke
Site Admin

Pin Mount Jackstands for Rally Service

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:46 am

The fact that were were spending 15 minutes of a 30 min service at STPR just getting the car safely situated on jack stands highlighted the need to finally finish the proper pin mount stands that the car was already setup for.

I did just that this weekend:

I came up with a pretty simple design that is sort of a hybrid of the basic 2 legged triangle and 3 legged pyramid types commonly used by rally teams.

Basic Triangle:

Built a simple jig to fit and weld the pieces in:

First one completed:

First impressions: They are way more stable than the 2 point versions I made before and work really well.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Re: Pin Mount Jackstands for Rally Service

Postby max » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 am

:thumbsup:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:59 pm

[borat]very nice[/borat]

The unevenness of the ground certainly didn't help getting the car situated on the stands.
On the new ones, we could attach a bar magnet to hold lug nuts pretty easily.

Any thoughts on a solution to the "sliding around on pavement" service surfaces? I recall somewhere that the other pin mount stands moved on the ground (a bit freaky) when someone pushed/leaned on the car.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:32 am

Hmm, never seen these slide around on pavement before, but I guess it could be a possibility if the front ones were placed so far to the rear such that there was no weight on the rear ones at all, buts thats not the case with these. I need to paint them and then they are ready for service!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm

I'd powder coat them for you (they look like they might fit in the oven...would be close) although we probably couldn't do it before NEFR.

They probably would get banged around a lot so having a tough coating would help.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 pm

Jordan wrote:I'd powder coat them for you (they look like they might fit in the oven...would be close) although we probably couldn't do it before NEFR.

They probably would get banged around a lot so having a tough coating would help.

The pins are press fit so they can be removed. Without them they are 22" tall by 10" deep, would that fit? A powdercoat would be really nice as they do tend to get tossed around a bit... do you have any blue powder? I have silver, black, red and gold but no blue...

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Luke wrote:
Jordan wrote:I'd powder coat them for you (they look like they might fit in the oven...would be close) although we probably couldn't do it before NEFR.

The pins are press fit so they can be removed. Without them they are 22" tall by 10" deep, would that fit? A powdercoat would be really nice as they do tend to get tossed around a bit... do you have any blue powder? I have silver, black, red and gold but no blue...

It might fit... I think it would have to go slightly diagonal propped on something. Oven is probably 16w x 18h x 18d diagonal length is about 24" . No blue, I have silver, black , red , clear and dark bronze.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Luke,

How hard can you push/lean laterally on the car with it up on your pin stands?

Is it just a tube receiver that they slide into, and all the weight of the car shears against the base of the pin (where it presses into the stand) and any lateral load bends the pin?

Do you have a shot of the receiver from inside the cabin I could see when you get a chance?

Those two point Subi stands look like an aweful lot of bending to me.....

Is the advantage of these over standard telescoping jack stands just:

1) Don't have to jack the car up as high

and

2) Mount receivers don't get trashed from being on bottom of the car

Or are there more?

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:25 pm

You can pretty much push on it as hard as you want, they are pretty stable. All the rally teams pretty much use a variation of the pin stand for various reasons:

- On the often uneven and soft ground we service on they are much more secure due to the width at the base and the fact that that car can rock around a little but the jack stand will not dislocate from its position and cause the car to fall.
- You can easily raise lower one end of a car with the stands intact at the other end and not worry about the shift of balance in the car causing the stands to fall over as the simply rotate in the socket.
- The wide base allows you to get the car higher than you could with normal stands. 22" inches to the rocker makes it really easy to get under the car to fix stuff, and its way higher than most normal jackstands go.

I had basic triangle ones before on the old car and they worked nice but I raised the locating tubes on the new car to prevent them getting destroyed by rocks so thats why i had to build new taller ones.

They are the old ones I made:

If you look right at the front a-pillar of the cage you can see the reciever for the stands where it comes through and it tabbed to the cage foot:

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks! That answered my question. I've only really been around weenie tarmac-only cars in the paddock, but those look nice and simple (and cheap).

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

The Josh
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Asshole

Postby The Josh » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:40 pm

nice work luke!

You should incorporate some trays into the bottoms for lug nuts like the subaru guys do.

sooo.....can I have the old one? ;)
Testing the Fine line between ghetto and resourceful

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”