moving the stock oil cooler? Where to?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby allessence » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:28 am

Crazyswede wrote:how is your engine temp affected by the intercoolers in front of the radiator? It looks like they might do a considerable job of blocking air flow to the rad. Otherwise thats pretty cool, first time I have seen someone do a front intercooler setup with the inlet and outlet intercooler connections going over the radiator.

First off thanks

I am running a lower temp thermostat, lower temp fan switch and the full non cut down rad.

The engine temps are low (1/4 gauge)during normal driving and after really heavy driving during the summer the temps stay right in the middle of the gauge. The fans barely ever come on unless in heavy stop and go traffic or driving the !~@#$ out of it and then letting it idle before shut down. I have recently switched to a alum rad over a copper one so that may have some difference. I guess I'll find out this summer.

There is almost no lag with this setup. It works better than I had expected. I have 5lbs of resistance at 30lbs of usuable boost. The next evolution of this will be implimented on a freinds 89 turbo. and will consist of a 9000 intercooler with pipes running over the top. instead of the end tanks. And should allow for less boost restriction though the intercooler is very capable of eliminating the thermal load to ambient temps.

I did leave enough room for the AC condensor so at some point I might put AC back in. Having long hair in the summer can be tough so AC can be nice. That will be the ultimate test as to airflow restriction.

allessence
Nickname: allessence
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby allessence » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:41 am

Geoff wrote:I saw some of your photos of your intercooler before and I have to say it looks pretty badass! It looks like there is a lot of volume where the air enters and leaves the turbo at the top of the intercooler. How does this affect your spool-up time? On Seth's old 2dr 900 that had a 16VT and a 9000 intercooler the ducting was long (and the intercooler was big) and it seemed to affect the spool up of the turbo.

There is almost no spool up time. (20lbs at 2000rpm)The volume of the in and out tanks were actually kept to a minimum as they are fairly wide(allows for even distribution of air flow) but faily narrow in depth 1.75 at the widest depth. All the research I did before designing and building these were to minimize bends and tube lenght. Every Sq inch has to be pressurized before the intake sees anything so, bends should be few, angles long, tubes kept as small as possilbe up to a certian air speed.

I have already came up with a better design with smaller intercoolers (SAAB 900's would work great) that would offer less boost restriction but would offer exceptional cooler efficacy. and with only 4 pipe bends.

Won't build the next gen until maybe summer time permiting.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”