Fuel Lines

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Fuel Lines

Postby KPAero » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:26 pm

I picked up an 85 900 SPG which the PO had already modified for use in autocross trackdays etc. I will be primarily using this car for hillclimbs. It's going to take some work to get it back into good running order and Im trying to make a list of things to do/ order parts while Im still at school, so that the work can go as smoothly as possible this summer. Anyway, one thing I was wondering about were the fuel lines. With the interior stripped out the black plastic lines are exposed where they run through the car, and I wanted to get peoples opinion on what to do with them. Should I just tie them up so they don't flop around, or run them through some sort of conduit, or would you suggest switching over to metal lines?

Also, tires? I'm trying to decide between the Kumho XS and the Dunlop Direzza Star spec's. If anyone has opinions on these tires Id like to hear from you, Im looking for a good tire that can be used for hillclimbs/trackdays and then be driven home on. Noise, comfort and wear are not important factors.

Im also looking at having a cage installed and would like to get peoples opinions. I got a quote of 1500 to have a cage installed, does that sound like a good price? It would be the basic 6 point cage with x door bars, a harness bar, one diagonal in the main hoop, and one diagonal bar going from the main hoop back towards the right rear wheel.

Thanks,
Pascal

SaabsBreakDown
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Fuel Lines

Postby SaabsBreakDown » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I like my fuel to travel through a bent up floppy piece of plastic to get it excited before it makes it to my fuel distributor, so mine are letting it all hang out.

I did put a couple of snap ties on 'em to keep them in the right spot.

There's a local oil filter place that would make me new braided stainless ones for a pretty good price, but haven't spent the money yet.

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Pascal,

Where do you live? I have found that good resources for cages can be found on both the 24 hr/ LeMons bullitin board, and on the ChumpCar board, depending on where you live you might be able to take advantage of some of the people advertising on there.

I would strongly suggest at the very least you insist that you get a rear support diagonal in both directions to brace the main hoop backwards rather than one.

Best,
Drew
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Rally sanctioning bodies say that you need to run metal, braided stainless, or stock lines. If the stock lines are good enough for a car between the trees...

You could put some of that split plastic tubing over them, the kind meant for wiring harnesses.

Its hard to say what a good price is without knowing exactly the specs are; tube size, gussets, etc. Of course its always good to shop around.
A friend of mine is getting his VW cage done here:
http://cagethis.com/
(in your area)
I think he with with that guy because of price and quality.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:28 pm

I have the Kumho's for track/ hillclimb / autox etc. I dont have any events on them. They are pretty sticky though, I took em for a spin around the back roads, and they seem good. Ill give an update on how I like em after I actually run them in competition.

As far as the roll cage, I have a safety devices bolt in cage with door bars and harness bar and I think it was around 900 bucks. fits a c900 very well. I think autopower makes one too? Check tsn classified, I saw a used bolt in cage on there a while back, maybe its still available. The bolt in deal-io is probably sufficient for a weekend warrier. If your gonna go barrelling down a dirt road bouncing off trees and rocks like those rally nutjobs, you may want more protection.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

KPAero
Nickname: Pascal
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby KPAero » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Stock fuel lines it is then.

I know the autopower cages can be made legal for use in New England Hillclimb, but I believe they require some welding/fab, which I'd still have to pay someone to do. I'd seen the cagethis site before and it looks like they do some nice work and I did leave them a message today. The quote I got was from the guys at DSG, who I believe use Chris Howard for cage work. A friend has one of their cages in an evo that he paid 1500 for and the description I gave was just from what I could remember about his cage, so it may not be accurate. When I talked to Alex at DSG about cages we didn't get into specific specs, as it was still on the wish list at that point. I sent him an email asking for more specifics, and will definitely ask about the cost of adding more bars and or gussets.

Let me know how you like the Kumho's. I ran on the Kumho MX's last year in my 9000 and really liked them. I'm hoping that the new XS's will be stickier.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am

A friend of mine had his cage welded in here:
http://conwayautoworks.com/

All TIG welded. Its pretty.

I'm going to take a guess and say that it probably isn't the cheapest place but that's just my speculation.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”