NG900 Key stuck

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

NG900 Key stuck

Postby Crazyswede » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:04 pm

So a couple of months ago I had a little problem where the key would not turn on in my NG900...after futzing with it for 2 hours and getting no where I used a wrench, hammer, and screw driver to break the top of the lock cylinder off. Then I used a cordless drill to ream the rest of the guts out so I could start the car with a screw driver...which worked. So I ordered a new ignition key/lock cylinder about a month ago...they have to come from Sweden.....they are on indefinite back-order yay!@#$. On the plus side I have a loaner key and lock cylinder....so I was good until last night.

Last night I go to the grocery store and this time I can shut the car off, I can put the car in reverse, but now I cannot turn the key all the way counterclockwise and I cannot take the key out. So today I was at Chris Rizzons shop and I had to take the shifter housing apart. Turns out that both of the small torx screws that hold the ignition switch in place had loosened up and fallen out. The switch cannot fall all of the way out...so it is still usable but once the switch drops down a little you cannot properly engage the reverse lockout and the key cannot complete its path to off. I took some time to understand how everything works but now its all back together and working properly again.

I should note that one thing that happened after the first key incident is that my door stopped chiming when it was opened and the interior lights didn't come on when I pulled the key out....a little symptom that the screws holding the ignition switch in place are loosening up.
I am the 73%

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”