Alternators

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Alternators

Postby Jordan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Does a 900 alternator fit on a 2L B motor? I have a rebuilt bosch 900 one from my parts bin and my 99 seems to always have the warning light on now...could just be the VR, but just checking on compatibility...

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:20 pm

As far as the mounting is concerned it will bolt in. I think some years had different diameter bolts for the mounts so you'll have to be cautious of that. Another thing to look at is the bolt hole for the tensioner. On later 900s the bolt hole in the alternator is long but on the B engine alternators there is just a tab. I forget where the tensioner fits, you'll either have to use a longer bolt, trim the alternator, or change the tensioner. I've put 900 and 9000 alternators on the B engine in my rally car using both the 99 bracket and the 900 power steering B engine bracket and I don't think I had to do a whole lot, they pretty much just bolted in as I remember.

You'll need to change the pulley to a single belt pulley from the 99 alternator.

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks... I'll probably inspect it when I get back to the 99.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”