My new street car has arrived

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

My new street car has arrived

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:21 pm

I just have to register, insure, and get it inspected but I should be driving it to RNY this year. The car is a 1998 900SE 5 door with 5 speed, nice clean leather interior (tan). Everything seems to work and the car came with steel wheels with good winter tires and 16 inch viking summer rims. Other perks include a 6 disc cd changer with several cartridges and it came from the original owner who delivered it to my friends house today. Best of all...it was free. I think the first thing its going to need is some improved lighting...any ideas where to get some better headlights? or do I have to make my own inserts.

Image[/list]
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Rare color... can't say I can remember the last time I saw one that color.
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:52 pm

according to the owner the color was only available for one year and she specifically wanted this color...to the point where she was going to buy a different kind of car if she couldn't find a Saab in said color.
I am the 73%

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I've heard e-codes this and e-codes that. I'd go straight for light on the bumper. :D

You could also ditch the stock lights completely and make your own with some HID projectors from another car, with a piece of lexan or plexi in front of it to protect them you'd be all set for light.

I don't know how available e-codes are so I'd think the cheapest and easiest would be to add more lights.
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:25 pm

$60 per ecode lens
I am the 73%

matt
Turbo Troll Crew Chief

Postby matt » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:49 pm

that's not actually that bad.

how did you get it free anyway?
"we changed a flat in 4 minutes, twice"
1994 9000 Aero (intake, stg 4 ecu, 3" TBE, clutch + broken trans mod) *sold*
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon *sold*
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon I'm back on boost!
ImageImage

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:23 am

as I said before, you lucky bas-turd!
I wish I knew someone in Harvard where $5000 cars are dispensable.

Yeah, Quigley said that those Ecode lenses fit right in and make a difference because of the beam pattern. The car takes H4s so maybe you could put your Fat Boys in there? The stock lights on Kelly's '99 9-3 are pretty decent, especially compared to c900 lights where you don't get enough power to the bulbs. She hasn't complained about needing more light yet but I would have put some 500s on or something by now if it were my car. I did put some Sylvania bulbs in that give a more white appearance. Look at the Quaife site for the LSD application, I think the Viggen ones are different for some reason (?) but otherwise Abbott has a pretty good deal on them right now! I know where you can get an ECU upgrade the same way you got the car... foooh freeee

Rallyho
Nickname: El Blanco
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Rallyho » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:49 am

Seth, we have a late 90's 900 and the lights do suck. What I have done is get some good quality, non blue bulbs, I think Philips Vision Plus, in there, do a proper aim job, and then had my saab tech buddy do in with his little computer-tool thingy and set the fogs so they stay on when the highs are swtiched. That allowed me to aim the lights slightly higher and let the fogs fill in the close and near.

But, I think that a set of FF1000 or Compact 4000's would look AWESOME on the front!
Rallyho

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 am

The NG900 headlamps are wicked easy to take apart, just 4 clips on the front. Although, wouldn't the fact that the focusing element is actually on the glass as opposed to a freeform reflector interfere with any type of light you were to retrofit inside the housing? Like matt said, you'd have to form another stone guard instead of using the factory glass lens.

If you need a parts car, or just another newgen peice of shit to tool around in, there's a 1997 900S 5 spd just south of bennington with light hatch dmg from where the bitch in a jeep hit it... :lol:
-Max

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:41 am

if it comes down to me making my own headlights then i will probably just make custom housings that hold a low beam projector and some sort of high beam driving light.
I am the 73%

max
Site Admin

Postby max » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:47 pm

You should do it. I always wondered, when I had a newgen, how it would be done and what it would look like. :thumbs up:
-Max

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”