Reproducing 99 Turbo Stripe Kit

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
hutch
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Reproducing 99 Turbo Stripe Kit

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am

I'm not entirely sure where I got these, I kind of think the Carlisle show several years back or something along those lines. Its a never used turbo stripe kit for a 99, I'm not entirely sure if its a Saab item since it doesn't have any Saab logos on it but I figured they were probably dealer installed kits anyway. It has a '77 date on it along with 1987 so who knows when its from :dunno:
It has all the pieces but I only took the picture of the one since the rest are just basically stripes and you probably know what they look like anyways. I don't yet have a 99 but this was one of those 'its cheap enough I might as well because I'll never have another chance' sort of purchases. I just recently found these stashed away and remembered that I had them and figured I'd offer them up here if anyone had the ability/desire to copy them to make new sets. I think I've seen some others reproduce these before but figured it might be worth a shot and I know some of you guys have vinyl cutters and might be able to copy them to reproduce it.

Would anyone actually be interested in buying a set of these? And if so does anyone have the desire to make these? I don't really think its something that would make a ton of money but just thought I'd put it out there since its not something you see every day. If no one is interested I'll gladly just throw these back in the piles of parts to use some day but if someone wants to take this on I'll donate this set in the name of science as long as I get a set back. So, any interest?

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Re: Reproducing 99 Turbo Stripe Kit

Postby DrewP » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 am

I'd like a set.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:32 pm

I'd take a set.
Maybe Jason can make them?
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:58 pm

Yeah I sort of had Jason in mind when I thought of this, I've only been to his shop once but I seem to recall he had the ability to make stuff like this. If he doesn't chime in I may send him a PM to see what his thoughts are on the subject.

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:25 pm

I have a set of the stripes. The problem is that as the graphics age they become permanently attached to the backings. The adhesives dry up and they wont come off the masking film. I would let my set go if someone wanted to take the chance that it will come off. These kits are 25-30 years old and may or may not be any good.

It would be just as easy to come up with new graphics for the car though. I never was crazy about the placement of the text on the originals. Remaking that graphics set would not be out of the question. I would think if I were to go that far and reproduce the stripes, it wouldnt be much of a stretch to put custom wording, or even vary the stripes. I was planning to make a Sonett style stripe for my tan 900 and have it say SWEDESPORT in the SAAB font, but I would put it on the quarter panel instead of the door. How bout a stripe kit that says "SAABRALLY.COM"? Or whatever. The other advantage would be color availability. Tons of colors can be had.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

hutch

Postby hutch » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah one of my motivations for this was the thought of the lousy adhesive this may have on it at this point. I peeled off a corner of a piece and it felt sticky but that certainly doesn't mean it would stay on a car for any length of time. That's part of the reason I thought this set could be used as a mold since it's in perfect outside condition but wIth questionable backing it would be good to make a new set. However if it's just as easy to make a set from scratch then this set might not be too useful, I do like the dea of some customized graphics though. Since I have the SPG kit on these would be useless but a variation almost like the rally stripes that ran down the hood and side could be fun.

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:05 pm

I have NOS EMS "Nike" stripes in the same condition for both hatch and sedan. They are in colors I'd likely never use so I'd contribute them if copies were to be made...

john

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 pm

If we were talking about changing the text I think 'SPORT & RALLY' ones would be cool, but I already have the big S&R logo printed to go on the rear quarter.

I was actually thinking that reproductions of these would be cool on my C900 that gets used as parts hauler / track support car rather than for the 99 anyway, since I just got my hands on a rebuild N/A engine for the 99 anyway.
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

Neil_G
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby Neil_G » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Put me down for two sets please with original wording :yay:

Funny, I never really liked these stripes when I first say them in the pictues but over time they grow on you !!

regards
Neil

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:29 pm

I want one thats says SAABRALLY.COM when you look at it from one direction and then RAUL ARE BEST when you look at it from another.... kinda like that chromeillusionpupleine paint jungletits used on his car.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 pm

It would be a while before I could set up the stripe kits. I would template the stripe, and then drop in whatever text you wanted. Several stripe options could be possible, and you could choose colors from the available shades of vinyl. The stripe kits would be just lengths of stripe, and you would have to apply them to the car and then trim them to fit. That way they would be adaptable to a variety of bodies. You can apply them yourself, or go to the local sign guy to have it done.

As far as the "Nike" stripe,... I have seen them in photos, but never otherwise. I would need to do a little work to make that happen. Since its not a straight stripe its not universal, but with some tweaking a 99 and 900 version could be made. For some reason I want to say that the rear quarter windows between 99 and 900s are different. Maybe just slightly, but I would have to explore if it would be different enough to need to make 2 sets of graphics.

I have no Idea on what it will cost yet.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Fun with graphics software.

This is the stripe I plan for my tan 86 900. Ill likely go with black, but mine will read SWEDESPORT on the quarter.

Just an Idea, but it might be really cool to put your autocross or racing class designations in the stripe,... SMF, M2, CSP, etc. Although it would not be the proper size for the regs, but would look cool.
Attachments
GLI SAABRALLY.jpg
GLI SAABRALLY.jpg (164.46 KiB) Viewed 6013 times

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:13 pm

oooh put a black nike swoosh on there, I am thinking about doing one of those on that car...

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm

If you guys can dig up some photos of the other style stripe, the "Nike" stripe. Post em on here so I have some reference to work with.

Best would be to have an actual car with the swoosh so I can pounce it and get a tracing of the graphic. Otherwise there is going to be some guess work in it.

BTW. I think the roof rack needs to be black, or a darker silver even.

SwedeSport

Postby SwedeSport » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:57 pm

I tried a bunch of different colors on this stripe, and the gray tones seem best. Use a matte charcoal with a silver border. Tone down the rack and try to match tones with the factory silver used in the headlight bezels.
Attachments
GLI SERVICE GRAY.jpg
GLI SERVICE GRAY.jpg (162.69 KiB) Viewed 6003 times

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”