Got me a 99-turbo!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Re: Got me a 99-turbo!

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 am

Funny, I was thinking along similar lines as John. That airdam looks so fresh that I was thinking the car must have less than 15k miles on it.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks! Now does anyone know where I can get a few things? Cosmetically I could improve the rear bumper assembly if I had a good rear uncracked gold chrome strip. Also, the wheel arch trims & the windshield strip I *think* should also be chrome colored.

The paint is meh. Even after a wax it's still pretty dull, and some of the pine sap spots just will not come off. If I wanted it perfect I would say the car needs paint, but for now it's a pretty much original car that has a "patina" including dull paint, stone chips- some of which has turned into cosmetic surface rust, and there are a few dings here and there. It is over 30 years old. Strangely, the previous owner loved drinking Coors light while driving. There were several 40 caps in and about the car when I did the "clean out" of the interior.
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm

Looks pretty damn good in the pics. I'd say enjoy it as a nice fair weather driver as is. If you want to do a complete resto down the road it would be a easy.

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:44 pm

The fender arch edge strips are black on 99 Turbos. There's been a few threads here about replacement chrome windshield lock strips (which 99 Turbos have). If you find a source for something to replace the chrome strip in the bumpers, let us all know!

An old fart drinking Coors Lite 40s when driving. heheheh

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Yesterday we swapped the rear axle with a non bent 86 C-900 axle with the sway bar, and Paul machined the brake rotors with our on-car brake lathe and installed the bilsteins (99-turbo units in the front, C-900 units in the back). The left front caliper was totally shot and un-usable, so that is on order, however once that's done, the car should make it into DD Status. I am looking forward to this.

On a side note, my 2011 STI blew up. 11K miles, and cyl #4 is dead. No compression and it immediately leaks down. It is at the dealership waiting for a warranty short block. Worthless car... My current operational, legal cars are

1981 DeLorean DMC-12
1987 Citroen CX
1978 Saab 99-turbo

Yep.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:32 pm

I want to see pictures of this on-car brake lathe. All I can picture is a couple of guys wearing plaid sitting in the dirt with some converted farm equipment and a hand crank.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Ours looks just like this-

Drove it around today, it works! Needs inner driver(s) and the boost is pretty inconsistent, and the valve cover leaks like crazy - but it runs good. Down to "details" - but it drives!
Less brake more gas!

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Chris has one that fits your description Geoff, ask to see next time you're in Dorset.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:50 pm

DeLorean wrote:Ours looks just like this-

Drove it around today, it works! Needs inner driver(s) and the boost is pretty inconsistent, and the valve cover leaks like crazy - but it runs good. Down to "details" - but it drives!

LOL, I bought the last 2 oe valve cover gaskets last year. I will pick em up from harvey later this week and give you one in exhange for whatever.

sjones

Postby sjones » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:52 am

DeLorean wrote:1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Cool to see a SAAB owner is also a DeLorean owner. What is your VIN? Mine is #2533 (81). I've owned it about
13 years and love it. In 2000 I had the DMC Houston guys do their cam job, exhaust and suspension.

Here is a photo from a hwy 101 trip my wife and I took after they were done.
Attachments
pic16.jpg
pic16.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 9376 times

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:11 am

Mines 2638 - October, 81 build date. real nice shape with a gas flap hood, dealer installed side stripe black leather & MT.

Pic-

No rust on this one! :dunno:

I take it you are also on DMCtalk.org?

Owning a DeLorean is something of an interesting feeling, because of the fact that with proper care, you KNOW the car will out live you. Where will 2638 be 100 years from now when I am long dead? Probably somewhere...
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Postby Crazyswede » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:17 pm

if you drive fast enough you can go 100 years into the future and see where it will be...but that will of course be moot because it will of course be right where you are...as you just drove it there. Unfortunately getting back might prove to be a little more complex.
I am the 73%

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:33 pm

You are aware that movie was fictional, right?
Less brake more gas!

DrewP
Nickname: TANK
Number of Saabs currently owned: 1

Postby DrewP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:44 pm

I thought their take on Libyan militants was pretty accurate....
"You can educate ignorance, but you can't fix stupid."

sjones

Postby sjones » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:41 am

Nice car, I always liked the wide stripe. I had the thin gray one which was never installed. I ended up trading it at some point. I'm not on DMCTalk, but I've been a member of the local club (PNDC). I'm not really active. :( I just enjoy driving the car, its so much fun. Getting gas is always an ordeal .. ;-)

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”