Got me a 99-turbo!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Mongo
Number of Saabs currently owned: 97

Re: Got me a 99-turbo!

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 am

DeLorean wrote:You are aware that movie was fictional, right?

the movie was fictional but time travel is possible. the irony being that the faster you go the later you will get to your destination.
I am the 73%

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:08 am

sjones wrote:Nice car, I always liked the wide stripe. I had the thin gray one which was never installed. I ended up trading it at some point. I'm not on DMCTalk, but I've been a member of the local club (PNDC). I'm not really active. :( I just enjoy driving the car, its so much fun. Getting gas is always an ordeal .. ;-)

Yep, I know all about it. Getting out of the car, at any point where you are likely to see people- be ready to stop and have a conversation.

I do like the car as well. It's really much more practical then it initially leads on (as far as 2 seaters go). The rear of the seat area you can store quite a bit in, there is also a nice storage cubbie behind the seat, the front trunk is pretty big (but not big enough for a blown rear tire to fit in. Also, the car does not suck to drive like most people think. It will do over 120 MPH, it handles well, it gets good gas mileage, it feels great to drive and has fairly good pick up in most ranges. It's also pretty comfortable, the seats & various interior components are made by Bridge of Weir (same company Saab used)
Less brake more gas!

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Is the drive train all ford components?
I am the 73%

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Yep, all ford :crazy: It's also made out of Aluminum and is the heaviest car ever built weighing in at 6600 lbs
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:52 pm

DeLorean wrote:Yep, all ford :crazy: It's also made out of Aluminum and is the heaviest car ever built weighing in at 6600 lbs

For some reason I thought they has the same renault/volvo thing those V6 volvos had.
Was 6600 lbs including the weight of smuggled cocaine or not?

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Luke wrote:
DeLorean wrote:Yep, all ford :crazy: It's also made out of Aluminum and is the heaviest car ever built weighing in at 6600 lbs

For some reason I thought they has the same renault/volvo thing those V6 volvos had.
Was 6600 lbs including the weight of smuggled cocaine or not?

I thought it was the PRV engine too. I read originally it was supposed to have a Citroën Rotary engine. How freaky would that be. :crazy:

Crazyswede
Team Turbo Troll Crew

Postby Crazyswede » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:42 pm

I am guessing your response is a joke? I thought someone had said it was a ford drivetrain. a quick search reveals the ever popular...semi reliable PRV V6 engine. stainless panels bonded to a fiberglass chass with lotus designed or inspired suspension.
I am the 73%

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Bricklins had the ford crap. The setup in the delorean is pretty similar to the Alpine A310's, less the turbo.

Paul

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 pm

do either or both of yours have a UN1 transaxle?
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 pm

airsweden wrote:do either or both of yours have a UN1 transaxle?

I believe all manual Deloreans use the UN1 (version 369) Renault. I don't know anything about the automatics. I know there are a few folks modifying existing PRV-6s and UN1s to get more power out of the car. In 2000 I had what delorean.com calls a 'stage I' conversion which is supposed to give me 200HP, but I've never had it on a dyno. This included a new less restrictive exhaust system which makes the car sound louder.

The delorean is an easy target for critics on all angles .. but I think most long term owners love them and like any good car, if you do regular maintenance (and drive it regularly) it will do quite well for you.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

sjones wrote:
The delorean is an easy target for critics on all angles .. but I think most long term owners love them and like any good car, if you do regular maintenance (and drive it regularly) it will do quite well for you.

Pretty much. The DeLorean as a car from 1981 is actually pretty good. There are clearly a few items that would have benefited from some more long-term durability testing. It would also have been a plus if the car was not all full of British electrics. What they did right is often times overlooked due to a few typical easily fixable problems.
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:41 am

Did a bunch of work on this recently. In actual use, I noticed it was not exactly a cherry mechanically. Turbo was blowing oil, engine mounts were shot so on hard cornering the alternator was hitting the heater box, brakes didn't work despite many attempts to fix them, exhaust manifold was leaking due to a crack, additionally a stud was broken off in the head. Oh, and even though the rack was good when I bought it, some hard driving with modern tires took care of that and that broke too... It also picked up an annoying habit of idling down and stalling when it was warming up due to a bad warm up regulator. The headlights also did not function on main-beam!

SO.

Pulled the exhaust manifold so we could weld up the typical crack from the #1 cyl. In doing so, also decided to pull the head to fix the stud. All new studs, new gaskets and a "good used" turbocharger put in. Engine looked great internally, so that was a plus. New fuel system components prevented the K-Jet stalling (Warm up regulator, 02 sensor & Injectors) Also installed a set of good used motor mounts. Wilwood calipers fixed the brakes. A new signal switch fixed the mainbeams, and I borrowed the inner bushing bit from Paul H's steering rack repair kit he got from the UK to get it to steer right.

I still need to get an alignment, but it's now a very unique driving experience. I have never driven a 99 turbo that didn't have a least some of these problems! We'll see how long it lasts...
Less brake more gas!

Cark
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Cark » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Very cool you've improved on some "flaws" and have been out driving it! Keep us updated and more pics never hurt.
03 9-5 Aero Wagon 5 spd M/T
85 900 turbo 5 spd 105k miles - Trionic 5ed in a day

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon May 21, 2012 10:29 am

Last weekend was the first "long trip" I took the car on, and aside from one the of the wheels looseneing up on the highway requiring me to crank it down, it performed flawlessly. Note to self, don't paint wheel seats when refinishing wheels, it may cause them to loosen up.

I think this car has better take off and better mid-range power than a stock 16-valve 900-turbo. the 70-115 range is actually pretty darn good! It's really a fun to drive car. for some reason the no intercooler thing really seems to make the feel of the car better.

Also, interesting tidbit. At carlisle, I bought a nice NOS fuel pump for the car, to have "on the shelf" - I had never been in the fuel tank of the car, and it likely has the original fuel pump. I pulled into my driveway yesterday after the show, and we were going to run out again to get some things... and no go, fuel pump would not prime or run. Fuse good, relay clicking, contacts look good. Good thing I picked that thing up! I'm going to pop that in around lunch time today to get it going again... Aside from the fuel distributor, cold start injector, frequency valve & lines it's just about the only original fuel system component.
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Mon May 21, 2012 1:50 pm

It's a shame that doesn't happen with lotto numbers. Didn't have much of a chance to check it out as I couldn't stray far from my Fast Eddy hatchback tee shirt store.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”