Got me a 99-turbo!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
squaab99t
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Re: Got me a 99-turbo!

Postby squaab99t » Mon May 21, 2012 1:51 pm

The pre-screen boot that attached to the bottom of the fuel pump maybe full of crud or the neck of the boot is shot not allowing it to pickup fuel.

Non- I/C you bet, very little pressure drop and lag from the extra plumbing and heat exchanger (acting as a filter). To save that B-head, I live with the not so responsive throttle.

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

Yep, the lower fuel pump boot (pump to strainer) dissolved and seems to have just been ingested by the pump. Pump seems to run now that I shook it a bit but it is noisy. I have a new one, so no problem there. Upper piece is in good condition still.

So for that lower pick up boot... would like to keep it rather than just attaching a short length of hose to the bottom of the tank, but it seems to be unobtainium. Any suggestions of where to buy?
Less brake more gas!

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Tue May 22, 2012 11:31 am

Take a pic of what you are trying to get. It isn't the fuel sock is it?

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am

well, no. The fuel sock in a 99-turbo is a plastic strainer that is connected by a rubber boot from the end the strainer, whos outlet is about 1" in diameter to the inlet of the pump whos inlet is about 1/4" in diameter. The pick up strainer for the metal tank 99's is designed to be able to sit flat against the bottom of the tank.

For now, I have attached a short length of hose that runs down near the bottom of the tank, with no strainer. I'd prefer to be able to have a strainer & boot so it would be proper, however I have not been able to find this boot anywhere. What would also work (if I could find one) would be a strainer that had the same outlet size as the fuel pump inlet that picked up from the bottom of the tank. This would allow me to simply hook the strainer to the pump, position things correctly and it would work fine. Basically a strainer that has the same size outlet as the fuel pump inlet is would get me back a strainer.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Ethanol must be wrecking havoc on these parts. I've seen the same thing from many people over the past few years.

Would it be possible to take a strainer which presses on to the bottom of the pump/housing (I forget which cars have those, maybe C900) and press that onto a barbed metal fitting? You could then adapt the metal fitting to another metal barb of the right diameter on the opposing end which you could put a fuel hose onto (and then attach that hose to the stock pump).
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

V4_guy
Number of Saabs currently owned: 4

Postby V4_guy » Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

DeLorean wrote:Also, interesting tidbit. At carlisle, I bought a nice NOS fuel pump for the car, to have "on the shelf"

Better leave the collectable parts to the collectors. ;)

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 am

Well as a daily driver The car is great fun, has not broken down yet, but little things sure do like to go wrong!

I just finished welding the seat frame back together, and though I am fairly "american sized" I am not nearly as large as some Swedes I have seen. Who are these seats made for? Also, the fabric that was good 3 months ago is starting to go to shit :(

And that steering column, How do you fix the in-out movement they all seem to develop? That was good 3 months ago, but bad now. Also, there is not a single item in the interior of the car I would call "well made" :lol:

Rad fans, cooling system, brakes, alternator, engine, turbo trans and driveline all still working well! *knock on wood*

Still have a bit of a warm start issue though. Hot start is fine, cold start is fine, however when it's been sitting for 10-30 minutes without running crank times can be anywhere from 10 seconds to several 10 second attempts to start. Typically, holding the gas to the floor while cranking gets it going... but this is a fuel injected car! There must be something not right there. Not sure what though, almost feels like it's either not powering the cold start injector at the right time or perhaps it's just vapor locking.

Otherwise, I really am enjoying the car. Fun, fairly quick and handles... like a 99. Best part is I don't get out run by vans at traffic lights like you do in the non turbo 99's :lol:
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Do the 99s have the vacuum solenoid thingy on the inner fender that controls the accelerator pump feature? My 86 would fall on its face when I would drop the hammer, and had starting issues. I replaced the solenoid thingy and it solved some of the problems.

It functions to pulse the cold start injector during start up, as well as to compensate
for the instant lean condition when you open the throttle.

I think you can test it by putting a meter on it and sucking on the vac line. its been a while so I don't recall the whole prpcedure.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 pm

DeLorean wrote:And that steering column, How do you fix the in-out movement they all seem to develop? That was good 3 months ago, but bad now.

There's a steel collar on the steering column that moves out of place. Its gold cadmium plated and has a raised tab on it. I think you'll see it if you pull the steering wheel off. You need to slide that thing back down the steering column using a hammer and chisel or old flathead screwdriver.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Ok, I am going to go out and attempt this right now!
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Easy fix! While grabbing onto the steering wheel bolt with the wheel off (22MM) & after having covered the shaft with red locktight & correcting the positioning of the signal canceling collar (this is one and the same as this cad plated steel collar Geoff mentioned... a few strikes of the hammer popped it back in place and eliminated the in/out play. Also centered the steering wheel which was off center ever since we did a "home alignment" as well as replaced the signal switch which never stayed up on turns with a 900 unit. Apparently that's the same, so that's a plus. Better now. Seat, attached, I can signal for turns, and the steering wheel does not pop in and out! :) 99-turbo driving experience restored, for now!
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:20 am

Well... looks like I found another one, same condition, but in the color I more prefer - also with original paint. I can't keep 2 99 turbos.... anyone want this one? I won't be entirely unreasonable with the price - however you could likely get a pretty darn nice 16V C-900 turbo for what I will probably end up asking, which makes a lot more sense than a 99 turbo... It's basically for the novelty factor. I may saabnet or ebay if it all pans out with the new one. We'll see... keeping 2 99 turbos is silly, right? They need to be kept indoors which is the only reason I would consider selling (I'm out of room!)
Less brake more gas!

tweek's Turbos
Number of Saabs currently owned: 3

Postby tweek's Turbos » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:15 am

How much? Would buying your grey car make more sense than dumping cash into my crusty bucket?

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Well... your 99 turbo is pretty rough. You could pretty easily spend $2000-5000 on paint if you want a real quality paint job, not to mention things like the window frame replacement and those bondo cracks in the rear fender, also the engine which may or may not have a burnt valve. Honestly, finding a good shell would be a far cheaper option, especially with the prices these are turning up at recently.

Mine has quite a list of improvements, not sure what I'd ask for it yet but it might be a bit on the high side. Paul thinks I should not sell it, but I think it's silly to have 2 99 turbos. Shame 99 turbos don't hold their value like BMW 2002 Turbos! -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... tem=#v4-41

and the 99 is a far better car!
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:39 am

Was the 99 you picked up the one on ebay down in North Carolina or something with the head off? The body looked really clean, I was tempted to put in a bid, but was somehow able to resist.

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”