Got me a 99-turbo!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Re: Got me a 99-turbo!

Postby paulh » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:47 am

Luke wrote:Was the 99 you picked up the one on ebay down in North Carolina or something with the head off? The body looked really clean, I was tempted to put in a bid, but was somehow able to resist.

Yup, thats the one, headed down there on Saturday to get it. :crazy:

Paul

DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 am

Got it! We'll try to get some pics up at some point...

So the silver one, even better than the grey one body wise. Aside from some very minor surface rust in a couple places and a few dings here and there I'd call it about as good as one could ever expect an un restored 99 turbo to be. I got to pop by motor/trans in to the thing and see how it drives!
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 am

DeLorean wrote:Got it! We'll try to get some pics up at some point...

So the silver one, even better than the grey one body wise. Aside from some very minor surface rust in a couple places and a few dings here and there I'd call it about as good as one could ever expect an un restored 99 turbo to be. I got to pop by motor/trans in to the thing and see how it drives!

Saw this yesterday, its a diamond in the not-so-rough. I think it's going to clean up amazingly well. Super jealous.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Un loaded the parts that were piled on top of newspapers in the trunk, Been a garage since 84 if the date on the paper is right.

Got to do a motor swap, probably next week at some point and I should be able to drive a car that has not been on the road since I was 1 year old.

One of the last purchases made before it went down for a service that never happened was still sitting in the trunk with the slip. Kind of funny. Only downside I can find body wise is that there was paint work done on the pass. door and fender, there is a slight differential in paint fade. It may or may not get better with some buffing, we'll see...
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

wow, nice score!
I picked up one just like it about 15 years ago from a farmer. The body was kind of shot so I parted it. I really like that color.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Wow man, SWEET!

Pretty soon you'll have one in every color!
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I was thinking I'd sell one of them... Luke suggested rather than sell them, I simply complete the collection and get the other 2 colors. Hmm. Don't tempt me, I'll have to build another building.
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:18 am

Did you figure out what you were asking for it? Too rich for my blood I'm sure, but I might be able to mention it to people I know.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am

I don't know. I'd like to be a little on the high side of "fair" or course, but I'm not sure what that is for a so called "turn key" 99 turbo. Do the wilwoods make it worth more or less money? I have seen prices all over the place... If it's worth only $2000, I'd keep it at that. If it were worth say $6000-8000. Well, I would likely take that for it. I don't know if anyone would want to pay that much though... Maybe in another 10 years?

It won't be long till all the old men who put them away in 1984 have died. What ever the case with these cars... As long as they are kept in a garage and the body stays nice, they are not a declining asset. They will always be worth what they are worth now.
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:04 am

I was thinking 4-6k but i haven't really seen the car.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:28 am

It's about as nice as an un restored car would ever be. Having said that, a restored version could be nicer. a Properly restored one should have better quality paint, and less "touch up's" as well as the potential of being put together better than they did at the factory...

Pros on mine would be the fact that the majority is original paint with original graphics - you obviously have no bondo under original paint! And no rust - other than surface rust touch up's due to the pretty poor 99 paint. I would also include runs & drives well, with brakes that actually work as pros. Nice shelbys & newish tires would also be pros. Good motor mounts, drive axles & inner drivers, 99 bilsteins shocks, good working cooling system, even in 95 degree heat... all pluses. Oh, and the steering wheel is solid, so is the rack. "turn key 99 turbo"

No radio, no AC... minus.
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:14 pm

So for the silver one, I have a good head, I have the steering rack situation sorted parts wise, the air dam ordered, and new radiator fans. I still have a laundry list of other details, but nothing horrifically major. Just need to put stuff together, and the things on the road.

At the moment, the only thing holding me back is that I need to get one of the turbo radiators re-cored. None of the rads that I have are in good enough condition to just run as-is, and this being an AC car (and I am keeping the AC) removing the radiator is a real PITA, and I want to do this just once.

I need a quality job done on a radiator re-core for a 99-turbo... with AC. an extra row would probably be nice... I have an original owners manual for the 99 AC system, and there is a SECTION on overheating. Apparently I am not supposed to climb steep grades with the AC on :lol:
Less brake more gas!

burnsside42
Nickname: Jeff

Postby burnsside42 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Goto Razzi Radiator near that NAPA we used to use a lot for machine work.
6 Saab's + 1 Moto Guzzi = needs more time & money!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:27 pm

done and done. New high efficiency core is installed, and the head got a fresh valve job.
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Well the Silver one runs now, I will test drive tomorrow maybe... Brakes I have done nothing to, and I don't suspect they will work very well, but they do hold pressure. Wilwood conversion will be on the list, along with a 900 vented rotors (86-87). I think I may also need motor mounts, and probably other odds and ends.

All the electrics work, and BOTH interior blower motors! I need some R-12 before next summer, and it should even have working AC. The motor fired right up as soon as I figured out why the fuel pump was not running, first time since 1984. The NEW china-made replacement radiator fans seem to be working well.

The fuel system was a disaster in this thing. Sitting in a basement garage since 1984 is apparently bad for cars fuel systems, even in the south. Tank rusted, fuel pump looked like it was on the bottom of a swamp, and anything else fuel system relayed except for the injectors and the fuel distributor was all shot.

Anyone need a "recoatable" 79 99 gas tank? It's not rusted through, but it's not good inside either- lots of corrosion and varnish. Free, otherwise scrap yard gets it.

I hope to get a sweet vintage charger cooler for it shortly... It's just oozing with late 70's "future car"- I need a really sweet period correct high end stereo, an equalizer, a K40 radar detector, an Etak navigation system, a stick mounted CB, and "SAAB" Louvers...
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”