Got me a 99-turbo!

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Re: Got me a 99-turbo!

Postby DeLorean » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Well we fixed the clutch, and it drives about as well as it looks. Which is to say, pretty good,but not perfest. Engine and trans works, boosts, but the brakes are toast. Asside from that.... seems like its darn near perfect, for a 99. Its too nice though, I may have to paint it.
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am

I should clarify, the only reason I am considering paint is because it's so solid. It does have a fairly nice patina, however it definitely does have surface bubbling in multiple places. One odd place for example? All along the passenger side drip rail, on the roof side it has light surface rust along just about the entire strip. None on the other side though! It's like they didn't paint that portion very well from the factory. Also, several spots on the doors and rear fenders it has spots that were probably little paint nicks that are rust bubbles now from water getting under the paint.

Just about everything rust wise on the car I could likely just sand, prime, wed-sand and shoot with fresh paint and it would be good as new. I had it up on the lift when we were doing the slave cyl, and the thing is perfect underneath, I would not even want to touch anything there, except get rid of the damn cat-converter.

It seems to me as though the reason it was parked initially (before the guy died), was the fuel leak and possibly the bad slave cyl. It also needed tires and breaks, and the seats are collapsed- but the fabric is still pretty good. The engine trans & drive line all work fine, it even seems to have a good steering rack, the Heater works, the rad fans cycle properly, it does not overheat, I have not noticed any leaks and the spedometer works :lol:

It does do some funny drivability things that I think are K-jet related. I think either the lambda control is not working, or not working right, or possibly it may just have a bad fuel accumulator or clogged fuel filter or both. It works fine at full throttle (aside from the fact that the brakes are dragging), however hot idle is "fishy" at best. Initial start up is good, and idle is good however after it gets into the temperature range where the lambda control is doing something (2 minutes or so after start-up from cold) it seems to be running a little rough, the idle is less consistent and it is stally.

"Minor" details?
Less brake more gas!

SwedeSport
Number of Saabs currently owned: 5

Postby SwedeSport » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 am

In the classic and collectible circles, they still consider it to have original paint if yourespray less than 20% of the car. Only repaint what is needed.
Swedesport Motors, Apparel and Accessories for SAAB Junkies.
Http://Facebook.com/swedesportmotors
Swedesportmotors@gmail.com

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:27 am

Well I hauled the parts 99 home today, and I think sitting in front of me, in probably about a days work I'll have this all sorted and in a nearly "ready to drive" state :yay:

Not totally sure what I'll do for brakes on this thing... I guess for now, some "rebuilt" calipers and I'll keep an extra-safe following distance. She should be ready for classic plate pictures pretty soon I think!!! Just needs basically a whole bunch of "details" but NO rust repair which is the biggest plus of the car. Though the fact it runs and drives good is also kind of amazing.
Less brake more gas!

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 am

You should get VT plates for it... its way more X-Gamesier. Don't need to live in Vermont to get VT tags, just log on to their website and give'm their $60... plates will be in the mail to PA.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

sjones

Postby sjones » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 am

Did this car have the two tool bags and respective tools? :)

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Geoff » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 am

sjones wrote:Did this car have the two tool bags and respective tools? :)

You mean Jeff and Paul? :lol:
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:50 am

Well, fixed a few things yesterday. One of the issues with the car was that the window crank assembly had broken off from the driver door. I still had it, but could not make heads or tales of how it was supposed to attach.

The parts car 99 window crank assembly, as well as the glass retainer bracket were both totally different than the one from the good 78 99-t. Perhaps the parts car had an assembly from a 79 or 80 900? What ever the case, I swapped the entire assembly, glass and all into the good 99 and it has an operable window now!

I also pulled the entire interior for cleaning as well as a an assessment between the 2 cars as to what's better, what's worse and making 1 car into the "better"
Less brake more gas!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 pm

I MAY have some pictures tomorrow. I got the interior all squared away today, the thing looks sweet now. Very nice to sit in actually, though my F350 has a better steering wheel angle. We welded up the seat bracket, and the seats work now, feel solid and look pretty nice asside from the color fading. And it no longer smells funny inside. Headliner looks fair, power accessories work and it's looking "good enough" inside and out.

Tomorrow, I have a list.

Install grill, headlight surrounds and front air-dam

Install better front bumper

Install rear spoiler

Replace cold start regulator

Install period correct radio

PA Antique tag

and some maintenance items. Trans fluid change, air filter, fuel filter, and shes ready to go. I am liking the fact rust repair is not on the list, and I can also say the word "99-turbo" in the same sentence :yay: I'll be doing my daily rounds on the PA turnpike at 95 mph, 4500 RPM's in 4th in no time. Also, I am keeping track of my total investment so far, including the $250 in Diesel to get the thing, and I have not broke $1000. In the end, I think I might, but only just. Would I be crazy to sell that silly STI and just use this as my daily driver? That thought has crossed my mind :-O Oh if only old 99's didn't rust so bad.
Less brake more gas!

Geoff
Team Turbo Troll Crew
Nickname: Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 pm

99 too pretty. You need a sacrificial car for winter.
The kind of dirty that doesn't wash off :eyebrows:

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 pm

got some pics today for the antique tag.

Also the "CX Auto" was in use yesterday as a canoe carrier. A strange thing to see indeed.

Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin

Postby Jordan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 pm

So do you have a list of what is currently in the stables? :yay:

airsweden
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby airsweden » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 pm

My pal Tim was prepping a Citroen SM for winter storage for a customer last fall. We took it out for a spin one night as requested by the owner.... very interesting to say the least.

Long time fellow AMEC iceracer, Dave Burnham of Delanson NY has a pile of similar french stuff and is apparently one of the few guys in the US with a steady job working on them these days.
99 problems but a SAAB ain't 1

99Super
Number of Saabs currently owned: 13

Postby 99Super » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 pm

That's a really nice 99T!
Where did you get the air dam?

john

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 pm

The air dam came with it, NOS, the only reason it was not broken was cause it was sitting in the trunk of the parts car that I didn't get, but was able to snag it for a few bucks from the guy that was just scrapping it... We got a new set of the "well nuts" and popped it on there. Also, the car came with a brand new bumper cover, NOS gold-chrome strip and a bunch of other nifty bits. I also happened to have a NOS exhaust from an 80 turbo which was close enough for Paul to make it work.

Like you can see, the car isn't perfect... but for $500, runs drives, pretty unique! I'll try to keep it nice, but just hauling around the personal "driveway loop" I can see how these cars got rough fast. They are pretty darn fun to drop the hammer on in a low gear, very little lag with the no intercooler and they pick up fast. The 4 speed feels solid.
Less brake more gas!

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”