Anyone else go to the junk yard today?

THE place for technical discussions concering the construction and preparation of SAABs for all forms of motorsport, Rally, Road Racing, Auto-X etc....
DeLorean
Number of Saabs currently owned: 9

Anyone else go to the junk yard today?

Postby DeLorean » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:30 pm

So Paul H and I went to the u pull it today to get a trans and some spindles. We got the trans, when we headed back in by chance we met up with Luke and his friend (name escapes me). We both ended up with some good stuff cheap, and I have a feeling Lukes 99 should be running good again soon ;)

We got a video of the fork lift lifting the 87 convert Luke got his engine out of by seat belts strapped to the engine. gotta make sure to remove the drive axle next time before trying to pull the engine out I guess. Watch out for mazda seat belts, they like to snap off when they lift over 2000 lbs ;) All in all a pretty productive junk yard run. Maybe Paul will post the video of the vert getting hauled off the ground by the forklift! :lol: After that happened he stopped taping though, it was pretty clear it was not coming out as "smoothly" as normally. Anyway overall, a good parts run.
Less brake more gas!

paulh
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby paulh » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 pm

yeah, i thought for sure somebody was gonna get crushed by that car :lol: and it was a damn isuzu stylus that the shitty seat belts came from. heres the crappy cell phone video

Paul

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:22 am

Yeah pretty funny coincidence we all ran into each other there. Definatly worked out nice we started pulling the motor around 3:00 and had it in the car by the time the junkyard closed at 4:00 including having to resling it with new seat belt webbing a couple times :) I also pulled the rear axle off the car since it was in really nice shape.
Got to drive home in low rider style but the car handled fine otherwise. Josh and I stopped by Harbor Freight on the way back for some cheap tool enjoyment. Got home and tore down the motor and it looks really nice inside. All cross hatching is there and no ridges or anything. I'll probably clean it up give it a hone, some fresh rings and bearings and call it a day.
Thanks for the help guys!

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 pm

yeah sounds like a good plan. with the rings, Avoid the ones eeuroparts sells. I ran them in the 88, they lasted about 2 years before they were having blow by issues. the oil control rings looked kind of cheesy when I installed them, I suspect that was the issue. I am not sure who makes the genuine saab rings, but those look a whole lot better to me. I had Jeff shore price a set for me at Fred Beans a while back, they are not that bad price wise AFAIR. I may do a refresh on the 2.1 in the 93 if that is what we end up using, the genuine saab rings will be what is going into that. would be nice to know who makes those to eliminate the middle man (saab dealer) :lol:
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:10 pm

The OEM supplier of rings is DEVES which is what eeuroparts sells, but I've used Goetz before with good success, the oil scraper ring design is a little different. I used to get all my parts from Jim Moncrief before he sold his parts business and he recommened Goetz, they are the OEM supplier to Porsche.

Here's the new engine coming out of the back of my '86:

Also I tore down the rest of the old engine that failed at RNY. Heres what the bearings from cylinder #3 looked like... ewww

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Well, the rings they are selling now may be DEVES, but I am pretty sure what I got were not. they came in a white box stamped "made in POLAND" just like that :lol: this was about 3 years ago now at this point, so they may be selling better stuff now. I can say this for sure, the rings I removed were originals to that engine (88 900T), and the ones thet I put in were of a totaly different design and did not last long. For the 2.1, I'll have to try a set of the Goetz rings.

think they are the same people wo make these? Image :lol:

That is a nice looking free trans attached to the engine ;) Not a bad deal for $75, eh? gotta find a road car to stick that trans into, it's probably still good.
Less brake more gas!

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:49 pm

Dang... I wanted to go the the jy to get a later trans...I need to get some turbo rear springs too.

So does that mean you don't need my block now Luke? I probably won't have time to tear it down anyway, for this trip at least.

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:48 am

I'd like to build two engine eventuallys so I can have one ready and waiting in case I have an issue but for now I think now I'm ok.
There are a set of convertible turbo springs sitting on the ground next to where I pulled the rear axle from the car. If we have time maybe we can go pick them up on saturday, or I can get them for you some other time.

Jordan
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 6

Postby Jordan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 am

Alright,

I just checked Harry's Hazelton, and they are having a 35$ trans sale this week ... But I have a feeling time is going to be tight, so maybe next time... especially when the summer hours kick in.

Oh and Ethan emailed me, I'm going to give him a call Friday when I'm on my way. He said he would be around Sat if we wanted to do stuff.

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:45 pm

Luke I know you mentioned you had been to Hazelton, did you see any good trannys there? Last time I was out that way they were picked pretty clean (about 2 weeks ago). I was thinking about getting one to toss into the 93 so it will actually move under it's own power. it's currently sitting in Elkins Park and I need to get the thing up to Plymouth so I can start work on it.
Less brake more gas!

Luke
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:54 pm

For $75 you can have one assumed to be good gearbox from a 87 vert :lol:

No i didnt really see much there either, lots of automatics

DeLorean

Postby DeLorean » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:34 pm

haha, no deal there ;) sounds about the same as it was last time I was there, oh well. I'll probably drop by the A to Z's this weekend and see what they have, maybe a few others in the area, this depending on if I get over to Beans on Friday and how far we get with installing the LSD into the 9-5 trans. I am not expecting it to be too hard though from reading about it in the saab /cobalt M35 trans manual.
Less brake more gas!

Sam
Nickname: sambone
Number of Saabs currently owned: 2

Postby Sam » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 pm

Poor little convertible. Was the bodywork totally beat on it? Btw Jordan i was at the dealer today picking up even more dash bulbs and i asked about the hirsch parts / packages and they are indeed not offered anymore. Looking on the saab pr page and on saabnet it seems safe to say that it stopped being offered in 2002. While i was there i took a look at a 9-5 wagon that was in the showroom that was stick. It seems that the materials have actually improved significantly on the interior and i have a newfound infatuation with this new body style.

max
Site Admin
Number of Saabs currently owned: 0

Postby max » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:48 am

Sam- this only means one thing- your lack of taste is increasing. :twisted:
-Max
"My car is neither discreet, nor off-road worthy." :huh:

Return to “SAAB MOTORSPORT TECH”